U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:30 PM

300 posts, read 327,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Tempe is a suburb of Phoenix. If you are in Tempe you physically cannot tell when Tempe ends and the other suburbs begin for the most part unless you familiarized yourself with the borders. ASU's student population is very spread out because they have more than one campus. There's an ASU campus that's on the other side of the valley out west in Glendale. There's also ASU's Downtown campus in Phoenix and they have a campus out in Gilbert (sort of far east in the metro) on top of the Tempe campus. So it's not like all of the ASU students live/work/play in Tempe, in fact I would say most of them live outside of Tempe and in the other suburbs due to the fact Tempe is smaller in size. Also out of all the ASU students I know, most of them go to parties in Old Town Scottsdale instead of staying in Tempe. So in other words, ASU's college scene is spread out across the entire metro, though somewhat centralized still.

So at this point it is asking if the Phoenix metro itself is a "college metro" since you can find ASU students everywhere in the valley. Considering Phoenix is home to the largest university in the nation (University of Phoenix), and another extremely large university known as Grand Canyon University, not too mention there is a large community college system in Phoenix as well. Despite all this, I don't think the colleges "dominates" Phoenix in any way even though the four of them have high enrollments. I would say most people associate the Phoenix metro with something other than U of Phoenix or ASU at first.
I grew up about an hour from Ithaca, really rural area I went there all the time, it had the good restruats, more diverse food than most of Upstate, had a decent mall, you get the picture. It has a nice downtown pedestrian area, but walking around it it just doesn't seem that active. The only place you could go off campus and realize it was a college town was the Chipotle with a 20 minute line. It's downtown area was a lot more "hippy like" than Mill Avenue.

I actually live and work in Tempe now, although I'm 2 miles west of campus. You can definitely tell you're in the college area when in the vicinity of Mill. There are young people everywhere, ASU stickers slapped on everything, cheap booze drive thrus, tons of bars, and stuff like that. You can go to Tempe Marketplace and see students all over.

All of my recent grad ASU coworkers prefer to hang out on Mill, due to its cheapness compared to Old Town, the younger crowd(we are always noticibly young in Old Town), and its WHERE THEY ARE COMFORTABLE AND FIMILIAR WITH BECAUSE THEY HUNG OUT THERE ALL THE TIME.

Going all over Tempe you find students, going all around Ithaca for example you might not realize it unless you are on campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 09:52 PM

539 posts, read 404,992 times
A college town in the classic sense would just be a smaller city where instead of a CBD you have the university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or