U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 04:27 PM

87,069 posts, read 102,785,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I know. I'm not sure what that has to do with Yates county...

Edit: I think I see why you are confused. I switched gears based on the map you presented. My comment is aimed at the Rochester MSA.

I figured the map opened the conversation up to a much broader spectrum.
OK! I only lived a short time in Ithaca, don't remember the names of all the nearby counties!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 06:00 PM

20,871 posts, read 36,029,183 times
Quote:
I'll never understand it though. Schuyler is listed as a rural county yet we commute to Elmira for work and shopping often. By that logic Schuyler would be part of the Elmira MSA.

I have a weird case of Deja-vu about this topic too. haha
Ha, I do remember posting on a NY thread regarding this, doing a breakdown of population and demographic change in rural counties in the state.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:15 PM

56,867 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Quote:
Pretty much every city in NY's southern tier is a micropolitan area. Even planet Ithaca has less than 50,000 residents.
Binghamton and Elmira are metropolitan areas and Corning/Hornell and Oneonta are micropolitan areas. I believe that Cortland is a micro area, but is a part of the Ithaca CSA.

With Ithaca, while the city has around 30,000 people, with the surrounding town of Ithaca and suburban areas in the town of Lansing, it does have an urbanized area of at least 50,000. That is the minimum requirement for a metro area. Ithaca has suburban census designated places(aka CDP's) like Northwest Ithaca, South Hill, Forest Home, East Ithaca and Northeast Ithaca, along with villages such as Cayuga Heights and Lansing just outside of the city of Ithaca.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:31 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,754,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Binghamton and Elmira are metropolitan areas and Corning/Hornell and Oneonta are micropolitan areas. I believe that Cortland is a micro area, but is a part of the Ithaca CSA.

With Ithaca, while the city has around 30,000 people, with the surrounding town of Ithaca and suburban areas in the town of Lansing, it does have an urbanized area of at least 50,000. That is the minimum requirement for a metro area. Ithaca has suburban census designated places(aka CDP's) like Northwest Ithaca, South Hill, Forest Home, East Ithaca and Northeast Ithaca, along with villages such as Cayuga Heights and Lansing just outside of the city of Ithaca.
The opening post was a little misleading then.

"A Micropolitan area is a cluster of one or more counties in which the central urban core has a population of at least 10,000, but less than 50,000."

I thought this meant the hub city exclusively.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:33 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,754,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK! I only lived a short time in Ithaca, don't remember the names of all the nearby counties!
No problem! I grew up here so the south/central area is ingrained in my head. I tend to switch gears in most conversations I have.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:56 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,188,466 times
Quote:
The opening post was a little misleading then.

"A Micropolitan area is a cluster of one or more counties in which the central urban core has a population of at least 10,000, but less than 50,000."

I thought this meant the hub city exclusively.
That means an urbanized area, which may (often) extend beyond city limits.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:36 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,147,582 times
Yes. But it wasn't one when I lived there 50+ years ago.

The Montrose, CO Micropolitan Area. It's listed as being comprised of only Montrose County.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:22 AM

747 posts, read 725,185 times
Yes I have, in the Durant, OK Micropolitan Area. It also became part of the Dallas-Ft. Worth CSA a couple of years ago.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:09 PM

4,407 posts, read 4,622,918 times
I came close. I lived in Wenatchee WA which has a population of around 34k but it's urban population is around 67k which makes it a metro not micro.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:18 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,401,000 times
Only three: Traverse City MI, Beaver Dam WI and Stevens Point WI.

Here's a list of them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Areas_by_state

I've lived in a few others that would have qualified at the time, but there was no such designation them, and the population how exceeds micropolitan status.

I've also lived in a few Nanopolitan areas, with central cities too small to quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or