U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 11:08 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,153,616 times

Advertisements

Where have you enjoyed living the most and why?

Greenwood Village, CO - It's like a mini downtown to the south of Denver called the "Tech Center." Clean, safe, kind of pricey though.

Maui, HI - Whole different culture. Lots of activities and beauty. Warm but not too hot. Couldn't afford it eventually.

Windermere, FL - Outskirts of Orlando but way nicer. Near disney but not the disney traffic. Felt safer than other places in central FL.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 11:23 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Where have you enjoyed living the most and why?

Greenwood Village, CO - It's like a mini downtown to the south of Denver called the "Tech Center." Clean, safe, kind of pricey though.

Maui, HI - Whole different culture. Lots of activities and beauty. Warm but not too hot. Couldn't afford it eventually.

Windermere, FL - Outskirts of Orlando but way nicer. Near disney but not the disney traffic. Felt safer than other places in central FL.
LOL! Greenwood Village is one of my least favorite places (I lived on the Denver side of the DTC previously).

1. Spokane/Coeur d'Alene metro. It's beautiful. Not congested. Unspoiled culturally/real.

2. Southern California. It's home.

3 (tie). Seattle metro/Denver metro. Seattle is pretty (on clear days), but is horribly congested, and just a flat out ridiculous place now. Denver has been very good to me, but is missing something culturally.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:17 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,036,884 times
South Pasadena, CA - small town feel, well educated neighbors and safety; Mayberry in a sense
San Francisco, CA - living in the city with all of it's bells and whistles must be experienced by everyone
Redondo Beach, CA - typical So Cal beach town, great for a young person to experience

Old 10-17-2015, 09:20 AM

1,273 posts, read 763,288 times
Fairbanks, AK. Snow, snow sports, wildlife, sparsely populated. Negative though are almost exactly the same. It's all how well you adapt. The mostly dark in winter was wonderful, but the mostly light in summer was rough. The mosquito swarms in summer were pretty rough too.
I especially loved the Northern Lights. We had a hot tub in the backyard when my dad was stationed at Ft. Wainwright and we would sit in the hot tub and watch the lights.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:17 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,538,178 times
I've enjoyed everywhere I've ever lived. Minus the places I was too young to properly appreciate:

1. North Woodmere, New York: A Long Island suburb that borders Queens with absolutely nothing going on, but it was a nice place to grow up and has a great county park that we lived only a few blocks away from. (It still seemed like a long walk when I was a little kid.)

2. Atlantic Beach, New York: On an island three blocks wide, the ocean on one side, the bay on the other. Besides a lot of beach clubs, not much commerce there, but right over the border is the West End of Long Beach, which got progressively cooler throughout my time there.

3. Evanston, Illinois: Great dense suburb bordering the Far North Side of Chicago, fundamentally a college town but much more than that -- also featuring terrific residential architecture and a booming downtown.

4. Atwater Village, Los Angeles, California: An affordable (when I briefly lived there; I understand not so much anymore) neighborhood bordering wealthy and fashionable Los Feliz, and right next to huge Griffith Park. Close to good shopping in Glendale, too.

4. Sutton Place, Manhattan, New York: Genteel neighborhood on the East Side of Manhattan, unhip but really nice and leafy, surprisingly international due to proximity to the United Nations.

5. Forest Hills, Queens, New York: I still think it's the best value in New York City. Super walkable, great transit links, a couple of shopping districts, some really good architecture (and some really bad architecture), affordable apartments around the corner from a stunningly beautiful private enclave of million-plus-dollar homes.

6. Pawtuxet Village, Warwick, Rhode Island: Your prototypical New England fishing village, situated where a river spills into a picture-perfect cove with sailboats bobbing around. I moved out less than a year ago and still miss it, but fortunately it's got multiple lovely public spaces to spend time in.

7. East Greenwich, Rhode Island: Ancient waterfront New England town -- allegedly the birthplace of the U.S. Navy, though that's a highly dubious claim -- with a main street that hasn't fundamentally changed in a century, adjacent to one of the state's best parks (including a small beach) and a central location within the state for easy access to everything.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:26 PM

650 posts, read 602,921 times
I've only lived in Michigan and DC.

Michigan by far. Michigan is just that kind of place.

The summers are nice. I personally think the state is gorgeous and plenty of outdoor activities and easy access to other places such as Chicago, Indianpolis, Columbus, Windsor, etc. The people are friendly and nice. Detroit Metro is greatly improving and has NFL, NHL, etc. affordable cost of living. Pretty good schools as a whole. Pretty diverse population.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:29 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
- NYC: I always want to go back for more. In terms of shopping and dining it has anything your heart desires.

- Seattle: The most beautiful major city in the US imo, with an incredible topographical setting. This city strikes a nice balance between urban density and suburban elbow room.

- Chicago: If I were to recommend the quintessential American city to visit for a foreign tourist to visit, I'd tell them to go to Chicago.

-Telluride, CO: It's the perfect mountain town with a free gondola going up and down the mountain slopes connecting the town with the ski resort village. It has a refined rustic ambiance, but very chill and come as you are. Not to mention the stunning vertical rise of the mountains right n the edge of town.

Flagstaff, AZ: laid back small college town with a Rocky Mountain feel within a stones throw of the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

Cape Cod: I'm fortunate enough to be able to return every summer to the family summer cottage on a fresh water kettle pond to swim all day in and have a good time with good friends. With the ocean down the road, and the beautiful beaches with high sand dunes and bluffs on the National Seashore and the best seafood, the Cape is my favorite.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-17-2015 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 06:47 PM

992 posts, read 937,271 times
Paris, France - super trendy, pinnacle of urban living, amazing public transportation, fun and diverse

Old 10-18-2015, 05:03 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
LOL! Greenwood Village is one of my least favorite places (I lived on the Denver side of the DTC previously).
I always liked the feeling of the outskirts of a city, GWV was that place... especially when DeliTech still existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or