Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 02:09 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,643,035 times

Advertisements

"Your"

To start, I'll say I am not necessarily (but not ruling out) truly defined separate cities that are famous (or infamous) for their people or development or lack there of.

For instance, this isn't just about East Saint Louis or North Little Rock as they truly are defined cities. What I am basically looking to discuss is if when people in your city use a cardinal direction to talk about a certain part of town or region, does it have a specific connotation that gives it is own character, personality or vibe? Is it due to the type of people that live there, or the crime, or their background or socioeconomic conditions?

Like, I know what to expect when people say East LA or South Boston...but usually when an area like this gets a reputation the other "3" directions don't necessarily carry the same sort of "branding" within that same metro.

What is the standout "directional" region in your city, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 02:19 PM

8,376 posts, read 4,435,357 times
In Providence, there is a section called the EASTSIDE. It is part of the city of Providence proper and not associated with the adjoining town named East Providence. The Eastside is home to Brown University and the RI School of Design (RISD) as well as several prep schools. It is by far the wealthiest section of the city and very close to the downtown. Many professionals as well as students call it home. A large number of its buildings date back to the 1700 and 1800's. It is so distinct that it has its own real estate designation separating it from the rest of the city (all other neighborhoods are listed as Providence).

Old 10-22-2015, 02:25 PM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
All of our streets in Indy are basically grids and you can look at the sun anytime of day and determine which direction is which.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:37 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,381,208 times
South Boston, East Boston and West Roxbury

Old 10-22-2015, 02:43 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,643,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
South Boston, East Boston and West Roxbury
But for why.. or what for? I know a little about South Boston and it's strong Irish Catholic community, but that is something I think of for all of Boston. What gave these specific regions their notoriety?

Old 10-22-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
But for why.. or what for? I know a little about South Boston and it's strong Irish Catholic community, but that is something I think of for all of Boston. What gave these specific regions their notoriety?
Oh, I was just stating neighborhoods with Cardinal Directions. I guess I should have read better.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:56 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
some areas yes and some no for Philly

South Philly has a strong connection with the historic Italian population
North Philly is generally asociated with bad areas or ghettos
Northeast Philly had a long association with working class neighborhoods
West Philly had a reputation for bad neighborhoods and Will Smith I suppose

these are in flux and gross generalizations but still hold some conections to these connotations

Old 10-22-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
South Boston is the one of the old school Irish neighborhoods, but is now mostly Yuppie, which I am and live in Southie. East Boston is the old school Italian neighborhood more than the Northend, but is now mostly Latino outside of Orient Heights. West Roxbury is just the "suburban" neighborhood in Boston.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:20 PM

6,441 posts, read 4,005,007 times
North Houston the hood is known for Hispanic hoods, East Houston is known for smelling weird, West Houston is known for mostly upper middle class people. Southwest Houston is the Hood 1, South Houston is the Hood 2, Southeast Houston has Clear Lake and is toward Galveston, nicer areas although close to the Eastside, Northeast Houston is so empty, who lives there?
Far North Houston is rich, Kingwood, The area around The Woodlands. Far Northwest Houston is a jumblke of rich to working class suburbia, Inner West side is Super Rich, and Inner East side is super ghetto, but since Houston has know zonings their really isn't a bad side and even not including suburbs this is a broad generalization on my part cause it changes from neighborhood to neighborhood. Most people diss all of the east Side and praise the West Side but when it comes to the nitty gritty the east side all though is poorer and smells weird is not nearly as dangerous (usually) as the areas South of Houston( Alief, Sunnyside, Sharpstown, Anything South of of Bellaire not in the loop etc, scattered around).

Old 10-22-2015, 03:43 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,214,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
some areas yes and some no for Philly

South Philly has a strong connection with the historic Italian population
North Philly is generally asociated with bad areas or ghettos
Northeast Philly had a long association with working class neighborhoods
West Philly had a reputation for bad neighborhoods and Will Smith I suppose

these are in flux and gross generalizations but still hold some conections to these connotations
Don't forget about Northwest Philly, which is known for its suburban character (Roxborough, Andorra, etc), wooded areas, hipster areas (Manayunk, part of East Falls), immense wealth and stately mansions (Chestnut Hill, parts of Germantown and East Falls), and history (Germantown)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.