U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 02:38 PM

12,333 posts, read 10,300,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmlammm View Post
Hey all,

My husband and I are looking for the perfect place to live in the Mid Atlantic Region. We
need to travel to Philly Area on a regular basis, so we would like to be within 2-3 hours or less. Both of us low 40's, no children but usually buy our homes in a good school system for resale purposes.

We have lived previously in Easton, MD and loved it but it was bit removed for us at times. We also know Annapolis very well and like that area too. Now we are moving back again and would love to find a new beautiful charming town to live. So far we have looked in Haddonfield, Rumson, Morristown, Wayne/Mainline area, Media, Easton, Annapolis, Rehoboth/Lewes, Greenville, DE.

Here's what our wish list is:
mid atlantic region
would love active "main street" downtown type scenario
beautiful/picturesque
safe/clean/low crime
sophisticated charming town atmosphere (e.g good restaurants, high end shopping, etc).
access to larger cities within driving distance
great sense of community,

I know there are so many beautiful towns that we have yet to see. We would LOVE to be near water or mountains, but understand that may have to be a second home as much of what we've mentioned rarely exists in all in one town.

finances not really an issue, although we are not in favor of ridiculous taxes!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Kennet Square, PA

https://goo.gl/maps/tcSPm4Y3e9U2

I just spent Friday night out there nearby at the Mendenhall Inn. Longwood Gardens is nearby as well as Chadds Ford. Beautiful part of Chester County. Streetview around Kennet Square with the link I attached. Many of the old towns around Philly are not new burbs, but were established by British Colonists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 04:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,974 posts, read 3,453,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
What about Doylestown, PA?

County seat of Bucks, home to Delaware Valley University, Travel & Leisure's #1 small town in the country for Art's and Culture, walkable downtown, nightlife, surrounded by other towns like New Hope. Great school district, train every 30 minutes to Philly, bus to NYC. If you are into water activities, you would be closer to Lake Nockamixon and the river.

That town looks a little creepy to me

Old 10-19-2015, 04:48 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,781,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That town looks a little creepy to me
Must be why NYT said it was the 4th best county to raise children in the country. That is Fonthill Castle and The Mercer Tile Museum..

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 10-19-2015 at 05:12 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 06:37 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,974 posts, read 3,453,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Must be why NYT said it was the 4th best county to raise children in the country. That is Fonthill Castle and The Mercer Tile Museum..
I mean it looks beautiful, just reminds me of like a small town from a horror flick or something, but I'm sure nice to pass through.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:58 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I mean it looks beautiful, just reminds me of like a small town from a horror flick or something, but I'm sure nice to pass through.

Doylestown is very nice and a large art legacy as well, many people do more than just pass through to be honest

Pearl Buck
Michener
Hammertein (think like the soud of muic and south pacific were largely written in the town)
Pink
A few Astrnounts
Some national radio personalities
The Browns football coach

That area of Bucks county is really pretty (as pretty as anywhere in the mid atlantic) and some pretty nice and sophiticated towns (good food and shopping to and very close to New Hope and Lambertville (great area really) - Doylestown has good access to both Philly and NYC and i also very wealthy with very good schools

can be creepy a bit or at least like a setting for the movie like

Maybe Pheonixville would be better though not to far away - the Blob and theater scene there takes place on it main street.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:30 AM

108 posts, read 122,973 times
Google Havre de Grace, MD (right on the water)

Old 10-21-2015, 08:35 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchughes05 View Post

good crabs too

Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 AM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchughes05 View Post
It seems like a nice town. I can't say, because I've never stopped when I was in the area.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:01 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,935 times
Georgetown, Delaware.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:49 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmlammm View Post
Hey all,

My husband and I are looking for the perfect place to live in the Mid Atlantic Region. We
need to travel to Philly Area on a regular basis, so we would like to be within 2-3 hours or less. Both of us low 40's, no children but usually buy our homes in a good school system for resale purposes.

We have lived previously in Easton, MD and loved it but it was bit removed for us at times. We also know Annapolis very well and like that area too. Now we are moving back again and would love to find a new beautiful charming town to live. So far we have looked in Haddonfield, Rumson, Morristown, Wayne/Mainline area, Media, Easton, Annapolis, Rehoboth/Lewes, Greenville, DE.

Here's what our wish list is:
mid atlantic region
would love active "main street" downtown type scenario
beautiful/picturesque
safe/clean/low crime
sophisticated charming town atmosphere (e.g good restaurants, high end shopping, etc).
access to larger cities within driving distance
great sense of community,

I know there are so many beautiful towns that we have yet to see. We would LOVE to be near water or mountains, but understand that may have to be a second home as much of what we've mentioned rarely exists in all in one town.

finances not really an issue, although we are not in favor of ridiculous taxes!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lancaster PA.

Your housing dollar will go exponentially further than someplace like Doylestown and hits all of your criteria otherwise. Amtrak's Keystone service will get you into mid-town Philly from Lancaster in just over an hour.

Why Lancaster? - Visit Lancaster City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or