U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ohio: Northeast or Midwest?
Northeast 5 10.00%
Midwest 45 90.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 09:32 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
The Eastern half of the state is more East Coast like. The Western half is more Midwest like. Youngstown is more like Pennsylvania than the Midwest. Cleveland is borderline. Athens is basically West Virginia. Columbus, Dayton and Toledo are Midwest. Cincinnati is basically Kentucky.

The short answer is: it's complicated; and that's why Cleveland is the nation's political bellwether.
Cincinnati is not basically Kentucky. The Eastern half of the state is not more East Coast like. Besides you're in a minority as indicated by the poll:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 11:01 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Upstream you will find a Tim Hortons and several groups of kids playing hockey. Downstream you will find a fella picking on a banjo and making moonshine while humming hymns.

Its not that hard...
There is at least one Tim Horton's in the Cincinnati area with more to come. I guess they'll start calling SW Ohio, "Little Canada"

I agree that there is a big Appalachian influence in the counties surrounding Cincinnati. However, you will not find stereotypical banjo-pluckin' moonshiners. Most of the Kentuckians who flooded into this region came to work in industry and as a result tend to live in denser areas. Out in the country surrounding it is Midwestern German farmers as far as the eye can see.

New York City has millions of African-Americans who came up from the south during the same period as the Kentuckians came to SW Ohio, but you never hear people calling New York City a souther city even though you hear "Y'all" all the time there.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:25 AM

3,954 posts, read 3,487,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There is at least one Tim Horton's in the Cincinnati area with more to come. I guess they'll start calling SW Ohio, "Little Canada"

I agree that there is a big Appalachian influence in the counties surrounding Cincinnati. However, you will not find stereotypical banjo-pluckin' moonshiners. Most of the Kentuckians who flooded into this region came to work in industry and as a result tend to live in denser areas. Out in the country surrounding it is Midwestern German farmers as far as the eye can see.

New York City has millions of African-Americans who came up from the south during the same period as the Kentuckians came to SW Ohio, but you never hear people calling New York City a souther city even though you hear "Y'all" all the time there.

I guess the problem I have with this is that Cincinatti sits across the river from Kentucky and a good chunk of it's metro area (including it's airport) are in Kentucky. The Kentuckian influences would be undeniable because of that. Whereas New York is several states removed from the perceived "south". So I find this comparison intellectually dishonest.

The second problem I have with everyone getting their panties in a bunch because Cinci has been associated with Kentucky, is that it is more or less inferred that being associated with Kentucky is pejorative in nature which is a little ignorant and insulting to Kentuckians. The parts of Kentucky that Cincinatti is associated with are more educated, more cosmopolitan, and more progressive than whole sections of Ohio. I absolutely think Cincinatti shares influences as a river city with Louisville, and cultural similarities with Lexington, which are both awesome cities.

No one is saying Cincinatti has anything in common with dueling banjos, and Appalachian stigmas, as is being inferred by detractors.

Last edited by mjlo; 10-20-2015 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 AM

1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
Quote:
Ohio is the grey border between the Mid Atlantic, the South, the Midwest, and Canada. There is a small stream just east of Columbus that determines the true border. On the eastern bank there are rude Northeastern types with no family values. On the western bank there are strong midwest accents and even stronger family values and super nice folks. Upstream you will find a Tim Hortons and several groups of kids playing hockey. Downstream you will find a fella picking on a banjo and making moonshine while humming hymns.

Its not that hard...
WTF?? So the good heart Midwesterner is very angry.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:33 AM

1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
Quote:
Ohio is the grey border between the Mid Atlantic, the South, the Midwest, and Canada. There is a small stream just east of Columbus that determines the true border. On the eastern bank there are rude Northeastern types with no family values. On the western bank there are strong midwest accents and even stronger family values and super nice folks. Upstream you will find a Tim Hortons and several groups of kids playing hockey. Downstream you will find a fella picking on a banjo and making moonshine while humming hymns.

Its not that hard...
I grew up in the Northeast, I guess I have no family values. But some jackass can just stereotype people and nope he's not a dick.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:07 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,237 posts, read 3,217,999 times

Old 10-20-2015, 01:14 PM

5,548 posts, read 6,976,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Don't forget - Ohio borders Canada.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:16 PM

5,548 posts, read 6,976,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I guess the problem I have with this is that Cincinatti sits across the river from Kentucky and a good chunk of it's metro area (including it's airport) are in Kentucky.

Those who live in Cincinnati's northern suburbs may find it more convenient to use Dayton's airport.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:23 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I guess the problem I have with this is that Cincinatti sits across the river from Kentucky and a good chunk of it's metro area (including it's airport) are in Kentucky. The Kentuckian influences would be undeniable because of that. Whereas New York is several states removed from the perceived "south". So I find this comparison intellectually dishonest.

The second problem I have with everyone getting their panties in a bunch because Cinci has been associated with Kentucky, is that it is more or less inferred that being associated with Kentucky is pejorative in nature which is a little ignorant and insulting to Kentuckians. The parts of Kentucky that Cincinatti is associated with are more educated, more cosmopolitan, and more progressive than whole sections of Ohio. I absolutely think Cincinatti shares influences as a river city with Louisville, and cultural similarities with Lexington, which are both awesome cities.

No one is saying Cincinatti has anything in common with dueling banjos, and Appalachian stigmas, as is being inferred by detractors.
Louisville is culturally and linguistically Southern as is Lexington. Cincinnati and The parts of Kentucky in Cincys metro aren't.

Last edited by U146; 10-20-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 01:37 PM

3,954 posts, read 3,487,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Louisville is culturally and linguistically Southern. The parts of Kentucky in Cincys metro aren't.
It's just not that black and white. Louisville has mixed dialects as much as Cincinatti does. The Ohio River is not some impenetrable and unarguable dividing line between north and south. Only people who haven't spent time in these places would deny they are a mixed bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or