Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:46 PM

285 posts, read 301,566 times

Advertisements

I've been living in the US for a while and it still baffles me how much people here are absolutely obsessed with race.
A person can't be just a person in this country, they have to either be a white person, a black person, an asian person or a hispanic person. I just don't get it.
Everytime i hear people talking about someone they're not close friends with it always goes in the lines of "did you see what that black guy did?" or "that asian dude did..." why can't people just say "that guy" or "that dude"?
Another thing I don't understand is why a lot of people in the US prefer to befriend or hang out only or mostly with those of their own "race". Does color matter so much to many Americans to the point that they can't even be friends with people of different "races"?

Anyway my question is: Is there anywhere in America where people just don't pay attention to race and people just blend together without thinking of skin color or ethnicity? Or that segregationist way of thinking is prevalent all over the country?
I really want to understand how this whole race thing works in the US 'cause to me it just doesn't make sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 09:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Everywhere with racial diversity tends to be obsessed with race. Find a homogenous area and race will likely come up much less often. That doesn't mean people won't have opinions, but it tends to not be an in your face issue.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Americans are obsessed with race in just about every single state. Americans are also obsessed with making multiracial people such as myself choose what race they are. I'm Afro brazilian and German American and in both other countries you are allowed to be mixed race and people will refer to you as mixed race but here you HAVE to choose one, such middle ages type thinking.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:35 PM

27 posts, read 21,983 times
Hopefully one day the stereotypes and perceived differences of other races will fade away. Accept people as they are and don't make a big deal about their differences.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
And you are from? And this doesn't happen there?

Old 10-21-2015, 12:26 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
Is there anywhere in America where people just don't pay attention to race and people just blend together without thinking of skin color or ethnicity? Or that segregationist way of thinking is prevalent all over the country?
Beverly Hills. Do you think people there care if their neighbor is Will Smith? Or Lucy Liu? Or Jennifer Lopez? Nope. If you have the money, you're in.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:29 AM

108 posts, read 184,419 times
At my job you're a #1, #2, #3, so on and so forth.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:21 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
Yes, Americans are obsessed with race as much as the English are obsessed with class.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:51 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Everywhere with racial diversity tends to be obsessed with race. Find a homogenous area and race will likely come up much less often. That doesn't mean people won't have opinions, but it tends to not be an in your face issue.
I disagree it's just about homogeneity. You'll get a very different reaction if you're nonwhite and move into rural West Virginia versus rural Vermont. Plus in my experience a lot of western metros (Seattle and Denver, for example) are fairly diverse, but racial tension/segregation is a lot less than in most of the country.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
No, there isnt. Everyplace, everywhere.

If someone tells you they are color blind, they are lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.