U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,946 posts, read 54,683,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
The outskirts of Spokane, Washington?

$9.47 an hour with no state income tax.
There are many areas of our state where this applies, even west of the mountains, just get over 1.5 hours from Metro Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 07:31 AM

21,237 posts, read 30,486,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsandcats View Post
Where can a single person live these days, make the local minimum wage while working no more than 40 hours per week, live in at least a 400 sq ft. 1 bedroom apartment, and still be able to save some money at the end of the month?
Check out Maryland. The state minimum will be $8.75 an hour by next July and will be at $10 within two years of incremental raises. Most employers pay better than the minimum in order to be competitive due to a low unemployment rate and lack of qualified applicants. The far northern fringes of the DC area in/around Frederick (up towards Hagerstown) as well as areas of the Baltimore metro (mostly to the northeastern edge around Aberdeen and Havre De Grace) and the Eastern Shore area (around Salisbury and some of the smaller towns to the west near the Chesapeake Bay resort towns of Cambridge on up to Queenstown) would provide that opportunity in terms of your budget. Two people working full-time at around $10 an hour would net about $2600 a month, and apartments in the $700-$750 a month range are available.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:13 AM

646 posts, read 430,495 times
I live in central Florida where the minimum wage is $8.05 an hour so after taxes you would bring home about $1000 a month. The cheapest rent your going to find here is maybe $600 a month but that would definitely be a dumpy apartment in a bad part of town.

Electric is going to run you at least $150 (mine is actually closer to $250) so that would leave you about $450 for water (might be included in rent), phone, car insurance and gas or a bus pass, food, medical and all of your other necessities. It might be possible if you don't have a car and don't mind going hungry but it would be a pretty miserable existence.

The only way to really live off minimum wage anywhere is to have a roommate, get some kind of government assistance or get a second job.

Anyway, I'm always skeptical about these stories where people say they started out at the bottom and worked their way up to a six figure salary. I'm sure it's happens on occasion but generally if you start off at a place working for $8.50 an hour no amount of hard work is going to get you a job at the top making $100,000 a year. In my experience the only thing that hard work has ever gotten me is more work but without much more pay.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:09 PM

650 posts, read 607,176 times
Nowhere really. You'll still be struggling.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:07 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,793,124 times
I have a renter that does this but he doesn't have a car.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,946 posts, read 54,683,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post

Anyway, I'm always skeptical about these stories where people say they started out at the bottom and worked their way up to a six figure salary. I'm sure it's happens on occasion but generally if you start off at a place working for $8.50 an hour no amount of hard work is going to get you a job at the top making $100,000 a year. In my experience the only thing that hard work has ever gotten me is more work but without much more pay.
It's a question of where the bottom is. I started at my current employer at the bottom, that is, the lowest level offered in that department, at about $50k. It took almost to years to double it. I have never seen anyone go from minimum wage to 100k even after 20 years, without changing employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or