U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 05:48 PM

173 posts, read 91,405 times

Advertisements

In terms of people and overall vibe is Mpls more like it's midwestern peer 7 hrs away or is it more like Seattle? And should Mpls be considered a midwestern city the same way other midwestern cities are or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 05:58 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,074,417 times
Minneapolis is like Minneapolis…not like Chicago or Seattle. Why wouldn't it be considered Midwestern? Weird. (BTW, Minneapolis is not Chicago's peer…isn't a "peer" an equal?)

Old 10-23-2015, 06:06 PM

173 posts, read 91,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Minneapolis is like Minneapolis…not like Chicago or Seattle. Why wouldn't it be considered Midwestern? Weird. (BTW, Minneapolis is not Chicago's peer…isn't a "peer" an equal?)
It's its peer as in they're both midwestern. Cleveleland and detroit are considered midwestern and are nothing like Minneapolis and they are not even really in the same region really.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
It's its peer as in they're both midwestern. Cleveleland and detroit are considered midwestern and are nothing like Minneapolis and they are not even really in the same region really.
Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee and Chicago are more alike, really. Minneapolis is west of the Mississippi and these cities are all east. Minnesota is more like the Dakotas, state-wise, at least. Outside of Minneapolis, Minnesota is a plains state.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:50 PM

4,268 posts, read 5,486,452 times
Minneapolis is solidly Midwestern even if it isn't much like Chicago. Minneapolis has never felt like Seattle to me, especially once you get outside the core.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:36 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,197,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Minnesota is more like the Dakotas, state-wise, at least. Outside of Minneapolis, Minnesota is a plains state.
Um, what? It absolutely isn't. Have you ever even been to Minnesota? Half the state is forest, and the area around the Twin Cities is mostly deciduous woodland with scattered farms. The only part of the state that's really comparable to the Dakotas is the extreme western swath, and a sizable chunk of southwestern Minnesota.

Anyway, I'd say that Minneapolis–St. Paul is more similar to Chicago in terms of architecture and urban layout (particularly housing and neighborhoods), but socially/economically more similar to Seattle. That being said, it's unmistakably Midwestern in character, although it's a Midwestern success story that defies the general national attitude and stereotype. Another Midwestern city that has a similar vibe is Madison.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:08 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,354,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post

Last I heard the Midwest is still a "region" , a multi-faceted huge diverse region...why can't the Midwest just be a complicated, textured, and diverse place? Has the term Midwest been so twisted that it can only represent just one simplistic idea?

Having said that...I'd have to go with Minneapolis being slightly more similar to Seattle, largely due to the strong Scandinavian cultural influence in the two.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Um, what? It absolutely isn't. Have you ever even been to Minnesota? Half the state is forest, and the area around the Twin Cities is mostly deciduous woodland with scattered farms. The only part of the state that's really comparable to the Dakotas is the extreme western swath, and a sizable chunk of southwestern Minnesota.

Anyway, I'd say that Minneapolis–St. Paul is more similar to Chicago in terms of architecture and urban layout (particularly housing and neighborhoods), but socially/economically more similar to Seattle. That being said, it's unmistakably Midwestern in character, although it's a Midwestern success story that defies the general national attitude and stereotype. Another Midwestern city that has a similar vibe is Madison.
Actually, I was born in Minnesota. On maps, often, Minnesota is considered a Plains state. We are talking about Minneapolis here, though, and it doesn't remind me of Chicago. It certainly is Midwestern, though. As far as comparing to Seattle, physically, there's not a resemblance, but both are vital cities. Seattle's downtown seems more vibrant than Minneapolis' downtown, but maybe that's only what I have observed.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Last I heard the Midwest is still a "region" , a multi-faceted huge diverse region...why can't the Midwest just be a complicated, textured, and diverse place? Has the term Midwest been so twisted that it can only represent just one simplistic idea?

Having said that...I'd have to go with Minneapolis being slightly more similar to Seattle, largely due to the strong Scandinavian cultural influence in the two.
Very good point. I don't like when people pigeon-hole (stereotype) a region, based on a bias or pre-conceived notion. I also don't know why people are always trying to compare Minneapolis and Seattle. I was born in Minnesota, so I know it well. I've traveled to Seattle, and I just don't get the comparison. Maybe on paper, but in person, there much more of a water presence in Seattle.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:48 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,634,943 times
I don't really get this Seattle comparison, either. Minneapolis is 16th of the 52 most religious cities, Seattle 49th. Most And Least Religious Cities In America (PHOTOS) That makes a big difference in a city's culture. Just one big difference. And yes, Minneapolis is midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or