U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 06:36 PM

20 posts, read 20,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I agree with David Aguilar. Denver isn't cheap and nobody really say hi to each other (I don't think that is done anywhere anymore to strangers)...

Madison, WI, or Minneapolis, MN...
7756 Silverweed Way, Littleton, CO 80124 | Zillow

This property is 30 minutes from Denver and costs 25% more than a 900 SQFT condo in the Tri-Valley with no backyard, parking space, or privacy

What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 07:30 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZtheActuary View Post

This property is 30 minutes from Denver and costs 25% more than a 900 SQFT condo in the Tri-Valley with no backyard, parking space, or privacy

What am I missing?
You're not missing anything. Compared to the coasts Denver's really not that expensive, but it is higher than some of the interior midwestern cities like Dallas & Chicago (where dude1984 is from). It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You're not missing anything. Compared to the coasts Denver's really not that expensive, but it is higher than some of the interior midwestern cities like Dallas & Chicago (where dude1984 is from). It's all a matter of perspective.
Fair enough, but if people are telling me it's expensive, remember that I'm moving from the Bay Area where a single family 2k square foot in a decent neighborhood in Pleasanton can go for 800-1.1

Old 10-31-2015, 10:59 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Quote:

What am I missing?
You're not missing anything.

Except for:
-it's not 30 crow miles from the ocean
-it doesn't snow in the Tri-Valley. This house probably gets about 80 inches, and worse on the side of it that faces north (it doesn't melt).
-it abuts an arterial road
-it's just south of the "poor" part of what is a generally affluent area.
-you're comparing it to an expensive part of the most expensive part of the country.
-it's 45 minutes minimum from downtown Denver, triple that time when it snows
-it's in Douglas County, which is having school problems

It is conservative, but not in the "we hate blacks/gays/jews/atheists" way, but in the "you won't see any blacks/gays/jews/atheists" way. The tract homes are packed in like sardines down there, and all traffic feeds to "parkways". I think you'd find it to be more crowded than where you are now. The general profile is Stepford with "kiddos".

I find Denver to be pretty cold socially, but then again, I'm just about the polar opposite of you. I find it aloof at best, and phony at worst. I don't imagine that Denver (metro) would be any upgrade from where you are now *except* for that it's cheaper. I think you'd have the same gripes with Denver that you have with your current locale in a short amount of time. Denver (as a whole) checks none of your boxes except for price, which is the same box everywhere outside of SF Bay would check.

I mean, why not just move to a distant Sacramento suburb like Lincoln or something? However, I do think something more drastically different would be best. Tri-Valley to South Metro Denver isn't much of a change aside from weather and price.

I sounded like you when I was 20, and found somewhere with everything I had been looking for: good down home wholesome folks. What a nightmare.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You're not missing anything.

Except for:
-it's not 30 crow miles from the ocean
-it doesn't snow in the Tri-Valley. This house probably gets about 80 inches, and worse on the side of it that faces north (it doesn't melt).
-it abuts an arterial road
-it's just south of the "poor" part of what is a generally affluent area.
-you're comparing it to an expensive part of the most expensive part of the country.
-it's 45 minutes minimum from downtown Denver, triple that time when it snows
-it's in Douglas County, which is having school problems

It is conservative, but not in the "we hate blacks/gays/jews/atheists" way, but in the "you won't see any blacks/gays/jews/atheists" way. The tract homes are packed in like sardines down there, and all traffic feeds to "parkways". I think you'd find it to be more crowded than where you are now. The general profile is Stepford with "kiddos".

I find Denver to be pretty cold socially, but then again, I'm just about the polar opposite of you. I find it aloof at best, and phony at worst. I don't imagine that Denver (metro) would be any upgrade from where you are now *except* for that it's cheaper. I think you'd have the same gripes with Denver that you have with your current locale in a short amount of time. Denver (as a whole) checks none of your boxes except for price, which is the same box everywhere outside of SF Bay would check.

I mean, why not just move to a distant Sacramento suburb like Lincoln or something? However, I do think something more drastically different would be best. Tri-Valley to South Metro Denver isn't much of a change aside from weather and price.

I sounded like you when I was 20, and found somewhere with everything I had been looking for: good down home wholesome folks. What a nightmare.

Good luck!
This just proves that there's no point even looking unless you have 1.5m+ to live in areas like Greenwood Village, Pleasanton, Greenwich CT, etc., and still have access to things

There's just too many 'gotchas' in life, and the peace of mind of knowing there won't be any is impossible. Moving into a new apartment and the upstairs tenant sleepwalks. Moving into a new town and three days later they pass a measure to erect a dump 3 miles from your house (Milpitas, when I first moved to Nor Cal). A roommate who moves her new husband in a week after signing a nine month lease without disclosing she's in a relationship (2 months ago). Trying to move to a new area and being forced to whine on a city website to find out all the issues

I guess I'll just rent forever and use my excess money for vacations to explore the world and get away from the area I hate but am forced to spend $1,500-$2,000 a month rent on because even though I have no debt there's no point buying a condo/townhome and there's no point saving for a house

<3 life

Old 11-01-2015, 12:42 PM

1,560 posts, read 743,963 times
Quote:
I'm really liking Colorado, and feel like anywhere I end up would be good. I looked at Loveland, Fort Collins, Greenwood Village, Lone Tree, and just the area in general. I also liked Boise, and when I was looking at Des Moines I saw that it's an insurance hub which is great. I looked around Virginia and West Virginia and love the fact the homes are spread out and you get a ton for what you pay, but I didn't like that most homes seem to be from the 1800s ...
Sorry if I'm taking this literally, but a very low proportion of homes in Virginia or West Virginia were built in the 1800s despite the region's historical significance. There is plenty of recently built housing around both states.

Richmond, VA may be an area worth investigating. Financial services are a large part of the economy, and the metropolitan area has the full spectrum of political leanings - generally more Democratic in the city, Republican in the outer suburbs (e.g. Hanover County), and pretty balanced in the inner and middle ring suburbs. It has a healthy economy and although not particularly cheap for the South, is very affordable relative to Denver, let alone the San Francisco Bay Area. The area is within a few hours drive of both mountains and the ocean, as well as the nation's capital, and has a lot to offer locally as well with history, outdoor recreation, the arts, fine dining, etc.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:28 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Quote:
My maximum commute I'm ok with is about 30 minutes, so if I were to get a job in somewhere like southern or central Denver and wanted to live in the Lone Tree area, how much of a commute are we talking? Geographically, it only looks like 15 ish miles. That could be 15-20 minutes if it's 60 MPH+ and I'm right near the freeway, or it could be over an hour if it's like LA traffic.

And when I say I don't want someplace crowded, I'm talking about LA and SF crowded: a new shopping center opens up and 40% of the businesses aren't open, but you still can't find parking anywhere. It's 2 PM on a Tuesday and you're leaving town and it's still a gamble on if there's traffic or not. 20 minutes to go 4 miles on surface streets because it takes 3 cycles to get through the busy intersection at any point in the day. The things that make you want to rip your hair out and leave the state. I'm ok with going to a mall and there's thousands of people there

The issue I think I might have with another desert area is when you buy a nice home the 'view' you get is of dry mountains and undeveloped areas as opposed to natural blues and greens in eastern states
I think you should look up Arizona sunsets/sunrises I think they will change your mind. There are neighborhoods in Arizona that aren't just dirt (though xeriscaping is common for obvious reasons)

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5360...!7i3328!8i1664

This is one of the older neighborhoods in Phoenix with homes built in the 50s or so. The large front lawns and decently sized backyards have irrigation which is extremely rare in Arizona. In fact I think in the 60s or 70s irrigated lawns in residential areas have been banned so you will only find green areas like this in old homes, not too mention it's only a couple neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or