U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:42 PM

20 posts, read 20,844 times

Advertisements

I am currently working as a Financial Analyst in California and both my girlfriend and I cannot handle it any more. We have been here since birth (30 now), and want out. We want someplace conservative, but not 'we hate blacks, jews, gays, and atheists' conservative. We don't really care about taxes, religions (outside Salt Lake City type areas), etc. We just want a place that isn't overly crowded, isn't overly expensive, isn't overly liberal, and where people actually say 'hi' to each other in the supermarket

Budget doesn't matter. We are both very fiscally responsible and I will be well compensated in my field. I am able to start searching anywhere, so a response like 'North Dakota, western part' is good.

We like ranch style, one story, relatively newer homes. We can do repairs and make a house our own, so we don't need something with $15,000 in upgrades that sells $50,000 over market value.

So far, all I really saw was Denver ... and then we found out the crime rate is steadily increasing and it's becoming way too populated

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:48 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,835,163 times
I would avoid somewhere huge like Denver. It's getting more and more full of what you want to avoid. Checkout someplace like Billings, MT.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:47 AM

8,548 posts, read 8,881,299 times
Boise

Old 10-24-2015, 09:45 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZtheActuary View Post
I am currently working as a Financial Analyst in California and both my girlfriend and I cannot handle it any more. We have been here since birth (30 now), and want out. We want someplace conservative, but not 'we hate blacks, jews, gays, and atheists' conservative. We don't really care about taxes, religions (outside Salt Lake City type areas), etc. We just want a place that isn't overly crowded, isn't overly expensive, isn't overly liberal, and where people actually say 'hi' to each other in the supermarket

Budget doesn't matter. We are both very fiscally responsible and I will be well compensated in my field. I am able to start searching anywhere, so a response like 'North Dakota, western part' is good.

We like ranch style, one story, relatively newer homes. We can do repairs and make a house our own, so we don't need something with $15,000 in upgrades that sells $50,000 over market value.

So far, all I really saw was Denver ... and then we found out the crime rate is steadily increasing and it's becoming way too populated

Ideas?
If you like the idea of Denver in terms of location/geography/climate you might consider Fort Collins, which is about 90 minutes north and out of the sprawl of the Denver metro. It's a college town (Colorado State University) which has it leaning progressive but not overtly liberal. It has an overall friendly laidback population and think it could be a good option.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:54 PM

892 posts, read 1,095,277 times
Hedge funds that are managed in the Dayton, OH area seem to perform way better than the national average, and many parts of the area have that conservative but not too conservative vibe. There is a relatively new business school at Wright State University that is rapidly climbing up the rankings, and there seems to be some incentives to get more financial analysts in the area.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:54 PM

706 posts, read 513,730 times
What do you want climate-wise? Have you considered the SW (Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona)?

Old 10-25-2015, 07:35 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
I think you are going to be unhappy wherever you go, you seem fixated on the negatives.

If you are confident that you can find employment in any city of your choice, then get in your car and spend a month just wandering around the country and if you see a place that strikes your fancy, settle in. Don't ask me to suggest a place for you, you might not like the qualities of life that I do, nor see them in the same light.

There are a lot of people who are perfectly happy in Chattanooga or Oshkosh or Schenectady or Pocatello. You might be, too.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:01 PM

20 posts, read 20,844 times
I want four seasons but not as drastic as 90 in summer and -50 in winter with horrible wind chills

I didn't say I can find employment in any city, just general area. The whole point of the forum is to get people's opinions. I do like Boise from what I saw, Billings not so much. Fort Collins is a possibility, and is still in Colorado which is nice. Maybe some place like West Virginia which seems to be forgotten

Old 10-25-2015, 01:29 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
My apologies, if you felt I was being too critical of you.

The plan I proposed for you has worked for me when I felt antsy, and you ought not to dismiss it out of hand. I've stumbled across a few very liveable places that I never would have expected. I have found that it is quite easy to live in a community, no matter how much you might disagree with the prevailing political breezes, and I think you overemphasize that as criteria.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:42 PM

706 posts, read 513,730 times
I hardly hear WV mentioned on this forum, but from what I have heard it is both beautiful and none too expensive. I also hear it gets quite cold.

If you actually favor CO's climate, you could try Santa Fe (or Northern NM in general). You still have the Rockies, the four seasons, good food, and it doesn't get that hot in summer and certainly not -50 lol, but not as cheap as the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or