U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 06:10 PM

9,480 posts, read 18,429,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Most unwelcoming, even forbidding, but only because of climate.
You don't know New England very well. Let's leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 07:15 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,238,525 times
Connecticut has had better days without a doubt. As soon as they introduced the state income tax in 1990 then the state started going downhill. We had decades of bad governance. Our taxes are skyhigh (one of the highest in the nation). We have a Car Tax. Can you believe that? I have to pay 500 dollars a year for my 2013 Ford Taurus. The only thing they haven't done yet that other states around us do have, is tolls. Businesses are starting to leave and downsize. General Electric might leave. CT has so many corporate giants like UTC, Aetna, The Hartford, Otis Elevators, People's United Bank, CIGNA, LEGO, General Electric, Stanley Tools, ESPN, and many many more. The only way that many of them do stay in CT is because the state gives them incentives to stay which means the state gives them millions of dollars. So we have to pay many good companies to stay here. All in all, if you're a business owner then it is unwelcoming but if you have a lot of money and are willing to have high taxes to get a high quality of life then CT is very welcoming. It is a family friendly state with low crime and good schools but you need to pay a huge price to make it here. Pretty much anyplace that has low crime and good schools is expensive if not starting to get expensive.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:28 PM

3,288 posts, read 3,159,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Connecticut has had better days without a doubt. As soon as they introduced the state income tax in 1990 then the state started going downhill.
One more data point supporting the need for New Hampshire to resist the implementation of a state income tax.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:57 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,238,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
One more data point supporting the need for New Hampshire to resist the implementation of a state income tax.
New Hampshire is doing well without state income and sales tax. The only downside is that New Hampshire lacks jobs and population growth.

Many states are starting to look into getting rid of the state income tax. This is not easy to do. Once you introduce a new tax it'll be hard to get rid of it because the state will have to pull back some of its revenue. It's much easier to introduce a new tax than the get rid of it. I wish Connecticut never introduced the state income tax. It's a shame because we had an edge over surrounding states plus we attracted many wealthy NY workers.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:09 PM

706 posts, read 517,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
You don't know New England very well. Let's leave it at that.
Not at all! Only assuming that it couldn't be warmer than NM, and I think even NM gets too cold for me.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:21 PM

11,149 posts, read 14,192,513 times
What a ridiculous thread. New Englanders do not care if someone from another region moved to New England. When I was growing up in a small town, we had known some people who relocated from the Midwest and we became best friends with their family, permanently. Why would we care?

There isn't anywhere in New England that is unwelcoming to outsiders or newcomers, period. Also, the whole idea that New Englanders are reserved really isn't that much different than the rest of the country. These differences are very subtle, to be honest. I've traveled to 47 states and am now living in Ohio, as a Connecticut native. People are more or less the same, with minor differences. The people and culture here in Columbus, OH is 80-90% the same as it is in central CT.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:43 PM

24 posts, read 21,540 times
Grew up on the Cape, now living in small town, RI (after spending most of my professional life in Wash DC, and now looking at relocating back down to the mid-atlantic or somewhere else). Been living here 2 years and haven't made a friend yet. Some of that is my fault, to be sure, but the other part is that no one has expressed an interest. I would say on balance though, to be fair, it's more my fault than anyone else's. Part of it though, is that there is little activities here for me to meet people, if I don't own a boat or am otherwise doing water activities. This state is similar to my experience growing up on the Cape. Very focused on water recreation or golf and very provincial. People here and there don't often look at things going on outside their region in any substantial way. Naturally there are many exceptions, but as a general rule, as I say, very provincial. University towns, I suspect, are a bit different.

Last edited by bowie101; 11-29-2015 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 12:51 PM

24 posts, read 21,540 times
Also, as a general rule, while RI'ers know a lot about MA (Boston, etc), those from MA know next to nothing about RI, because they have found little to no reason to visit. Everything is Boston-centric if they are looking for city fun. Growing up, I can tell you that Prov wasn't even a consideration for me or for those around me. Why go to Prov? What is there? What is there that isn't in Boston? RI beaches? We live on the Cape! What could be better than these beaches 1.5 miles away?! We never looked outside MA, except for skiing. So yes, MA is very MA-centric. While living here in RI and working in CT, my co-workers couldn't imagine me living in RI and my neighbors in RI couldn't imagine me working in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or