U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:23 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewayouttahere View Post
I was also really taking a look at Miami. I was using Walkscore and it seems like there are reasonable rents even near the downtown area.
Have you not looked at Tampa? The Hyde Park neighborhood near Downtown has a number of nice yet affordable apartment communities with walk scores in the 80s. Your job options will be significantly higher than in Downtown St Pete as well. Most of St Pete's white collar jobs are in the Gateway area on the far NE side which is actually closer to Downtown Tampa than it is to Downtown St Pete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 AM

14 posts, read 9,086 times
Thanks for the suggestions Kyle. I've heard good things about downtown St Pete. I actually looking extensively at Tampa before. I was just going off of Google Street view but it didn't look that populated. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong areas; I'll check out Hyde Park. This is also why I want to plan a trip to physically visit a couple of places and see what they are like.

I can only take so much time off so I want to have a set list of places in mind before I go. I was thinking of doing Amtraks rail pass deal to hit a couple of cities.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:17 AM

12,421 posts, read 11,926,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewayouttahere View Post
I was also really taking a look at Miami. I was using Walkscore and it seems like there are reasonable rents even near the downtown area.
My experience is Walkscore isn't really the most accurate when it comes to Southern California and Florida. This is because it tends to only consider proximity to businesses, not road design. In both places there is a lot of development which is dense, but not particularly pleasant to walk through.

Out of your original options, i'd pick New Orleans. It's the only one where there's a largish portion of the city outside of Downtown which actually feels urban in terms of street life (if low slung). The French Quarter is ridiculously expensive, but you could afford something in Faubourg Marigny nearby easily, and live without a car.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:30 PM

Yeah I saw that after taking a closer look at Miami. So still thinking Atlanta, St Pete, Texas (since there are like 3 cities I want to visit), and New Orleans. Thanks again for all the feedback guys!

Old 10-27-2015, 06:40 PM

I was just talking with my roommate and he suggested Silverlake in the Bay Area. I'm wondering about the high cost of living but the idea of the west coast does sound nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or