U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:36 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,571,677 times

Advertisements

Basically the better COL the farther from the warmer areas of the Atlantic and Pacific. Americans love anything warm and beach related but the jobs dont always pay well in alot of warm weather coastal areas except for some cities in southern california and the southern california coast is no place for a blue collar type salary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 07:46 PM

706 posts, read 515,042 times
El paso is exceptionally safe for a SW city, affordable as ABQ, and you wont feel much like a transplant there. Plus, El paso has a Hatch supply if you'd miss that about NM.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:13 PM

23,651 posts, read 17,632,423 times
I would definitely recommend Des Moines. I lived there for a year and the radio stations frequently had firms trying to hire people for $15-$20/hr and there just weren't enough applicants.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:18 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,157,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but is there a certain line of work you can do? I'm only asking to see if there are areas that have the type of work you can do.
I hold a Sociology degree and since graduation have just been doing odd jobs.

Thanks for these responses. These are great starting points to consider.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:56 PM

448 posts, read 392,149 times
But you gotta love New Mexico and all its social problems lol, it may have some nice scenery but it's got a whole different side to it.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:44 AM

85 posts, read 82,247 times
I am living in Dothan in Alabama, It was very beautiful place for living with family . Price range was very low , I am living from last 5 years .

Old 10-30-2015, 07:06 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,980,197 times
First of all, kudos to having the bravery to post about your current situation; a lot of people on City-Data will front about their economic station, but given the effects of the Great Recession, I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of people on this site in your shoes.

As far as safe places, since I live here in Delaware, I will suggest it. We have a low cost of living, and no sales taxes really helps in day-to-day living (the fast food menu really is what the price says, for example). We're a fast growing state, and there are plenty of jobs to be had, particularly with the major credit card companies and hospitals in the area. Since you have a Sociology degree, you would easily be able to obtain a job with the State, a major employer with great benefits. It's a small state, so wherever you end up, New Castle, Kent or Sussex County, transportation issues can be mitigated by DART, which has an excellent bus service between the counties, in addition to a state-sponsored carpool program. The public schools are actually pretty good at the elementary/middle school levels, depending on your son's age. Several magnet schools also exist that rank quite highly that will work with you and your situation.

Concerning safety, we are a fairly safe state, with one big caveat--avoid living in city proper Wilmington at all costs, for now. Wilmington has a horrendous crime and drug issue (Newsweek named it "Murder Town USA" last year) that primarily effects the urban poor. Live in Bear, Claymont, New Castle, Newark, Smyrna, Dover, or Georgetown, but avoid Wilmington at all costs--wait until you're more established and can afford the nice neighborhoods before you even consider Wilmington. Other than that, Delaware is fairly safe for lower income folks. I mean, you can find trouble anywhere, but as long as you don't put yourself out there, even housing projects throughout the state are fairly safe to raise a family.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
First of all, kudos to having the bravery to post about your current situation; a lot of people on City-Data will front about their economic station, but given the effects of the Great Recession, I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of people on this site in your shoes.
Thanks. I just know I have to start somewhere with my family, and all I'm looking for is the proper safe foundation so we can have a decent quality of life.

Thanks for your recommendation.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:17 PM

638 posts, read 714,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
What is your housing price range or rent price range?

The Midwest might work.

Marquette, Michigan
Mt Pleasant Michigan
Lansing, Michigan
Romulus, Michigan
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Battle Creek, Michigan
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Indianapolis, Indiana
Chatham, Illinois
Springfield, Illinois
Many parts of Missouri such as Springfield
New Port Richie, Florida
Pensacola, Florida
Many parts of Iowa
Mobile, Alabama
I'd also suggest look at North & South Carolina.
I disagree with Pensacola and mobile, they have very bad crime rates. Especially in the poorer areas

Old 11-16-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Places where you'll be able to readily find jobs is key. I'd go with these cities which are among the lowest unemployment rates in the country (percentage in brackets) that aren't tied to "boom or bust" oil production, and have a reputation of being affordable as well as safe. Bear in mind the national average unemployment rate is 5.2%.

Lincoln NE (2.3%)

Sioux Falls SD (2.5%)

Rochester MN (2.9%)

Des Moines IA (3.1%)

And if you're desiring a major metro area, Minneapolis-St Paul (3.3%)
That's a great point, as finding work is high on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.