U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 05:58 PM

16,019 posts, read 19,670,751 times

Advertisements

North Dakota is relatively safe, if you can tolerate the extreme cold winters. I'd recommend Grand Forks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 02:38 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
The problem with being poor is whatever place you move to will be populated by people in similar socio economic conditions and almost all those places breed the types of conditions you are trying to avoid.
Best bet is to get a decent job and up your status from poor to something better.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,154,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The problem with being poor is whatever place you move to will be populated by people in similar socio economic conditions and almost all those places breed the types of conditions you are trying to avoid.
Best bet is to get a decent job and up your status from poor to something better.
The question I should really be asking then is: Where can I move my family that has more upward-mobile job opportunities?

Old 11-17-2015, 01:57 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,515,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
The question I should really be asking then is: Where can I move my family that has more upward-mobile job opportunities?
Minneapolis was suggested, and has a really good economy...so it's probably the best big city option. But thanks for creating this thread, I gather that some of the people who ask for relocation advice are in your same situation but aren't willing to say it.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:40 PM

4,695 posts, read 2,542,465 times
Quote:
I hold a Sociology degree and since graduation have just been doing odd jobs.

Thanks for these responses. These are great starting points to consider.
With a sociology degree you can apply to a county government in order to earn a very decent living and very good benefits as a case worker or similar? I see these jobs offered all the time (when looking for something else).

You just need to check out COUNTY SEATS and the cities and towns near them. If the county seat is not as safe as you'd like, which they often are not, then look for a city or town within reasonable commuting distance to where the office would be located.

Here are some websites that will help a sociology major find work:

American Sociological Association:

What can I do with a sociology degree? — Sociology

On The Job Market — Sociology

What jobs are available with a Sociology degree?

Career Opportunities for Sociology Majors Degree in Sociology

Career Opportunities | Department of Sociology

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2015, 07:51 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,053,426 times
One suggestion I would make that works anywhere - mail carriers make good money (in Minneapolis they start at $17hr and average over $50k a year). They are hired largely based on an in house post office exam that stresses memory, which is something that smart people tend to have a lot of. If you are smart and poor, can pass a drug test and don't have a criminal conviction, it can be a good way to get out of poverty. Long term prospects for mail carriers as a profession are probably not good because of technology driven changes, but in the short term they have a lot of positions to fill because of retiring baby boomers.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:12 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,180,387 times
Quote:
Move to South Dakota and take advantage of the fact that many technical school programs are FREE to those who agree to remain in the state to work: https://www.builddakotascholarships.com/

So take a look at that website, find a school and a program that will work for you, move to the SD city or town where the school is located, and re-train yourself so that your family's life will be better.

Southeast Technical Insitute offers many of these programs. It is located in Sioux Falls, which currently has a strong economy and a low crime rate. You can get a 2 BR apt in a decent neighborhood in SF in the $500 - $800 range.

Just come expecting to work hard, and don't whine about the weather!

Old 11-17-2015, 11:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,153,998 times
Quote:
My wife and I are poverty-level and we're needing to move.

In the current state where we live (New Mexico) there really aren't any safe places that are cheap (drugs, gang violence, homelessness are prevalent in low income areas).

We'd like to move someplace safe, especially to give our son a decent life. If you can throw out some ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I agree with KyleG. Part of moving and having a better life is where you can work.

What kind of work do you do?

There are reasonably priced locations, but if your family isn't earning a living, they won't work either.

Good luck!

MSR

Old 11-18-2015, 04:13 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Might be something right where you're at=
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...+in+New+Mexico

Old 11-18-2015, 08:01 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Des Moines is solid.

It's increased its number fairly well paying of professional/finance jobs from 50,000 in the 1990's to 105,000 today. Healthcare has also increased by 20,000 jobs during that time and Leisure/hospitality has grown by 20,000 as well.

Manufacturing is not strong in the city at all though, only around 5% of jobs are manufacturing. It's best if you have some sort of white collar/service desire in a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.