U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 11:34 AM

37 posts, read 128,829 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are looking for an upscale area to relocate to in the Mid Atlantic region. We would love an area that is along the water and scenic. We need to be within 2 hours of Philly as we will be traveling there often for business. We have flexibility with the area and also finances not an issue. Just prefer not to pay high NJ taxes.

Here's what our wish list is:
mid atlantic region
Prefer water front town/city
would love active "main street" downtown type scenario
beautiful/picturesque
safe/clean/low crime
sophisticated charming town/small city atmosphere (e.g good restaurants, high end shopping, etc).
access to larger cities within driving distance
great sense of community,

BTW we have looked at Easton, MD, Rehoboth, Greenville/Willmington DE, Rumson/Fair Haven.

Many thanks in advance for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 12:39 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,570,346 times
annapolis would be my top choice, one of the most beautiful towns in america. chestertown maryland is beautiful too. I would really try that drive to philly though. tolls all over delaware from wilmington to maryland and the delaware turnpike, tons of traffic on I 95 and the trains are double the 2 hour drive. I dont particularly like the drive from maryland northwards but those coastal towns are gorgeous

Old 10-26-2015, 02:38 PM

29,949 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Annapolis comes to mind first and foremost for me. You also may want to consider Cape May, NJ.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:10 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmlammm View Post
Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are looking for an upscale area to relocate to in the Mid Atlantic region. We would love an area that is along the water and scenic. We need to be within 2 hours of Philly as we will be traveling there often for business. We have flexibility with the area and also finances not an issue. Just prefer not to pay high NJ taxes.

Here's what our wish list is:
mid atlantic region
Prefer water front town/city
would love active "main street" downtown type scenario
beautiful/picturesque
safe/clean/low crime
sophisticated charming town/small city atmosphere (e.g good restaurants, high end shopping, etc).
access to larger cities within driving distance
great sense of community,

BTW we have looked at Easton, MD, Rehoboth, Greenville/Willmington DE, Rumson/Fair Haven.

Many thanks in advance for any help!!
I would highly recommend St Michael's MD. It's a beautiful small town with a great downtown area with high-end shopping/restaurants, and unlike Annapolis quite safe and considerably quieter.

St. Michaels - St Michaels Maryland

Old 10-28-2015, 12:36 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,968,835 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestertown,_MD is a good choice. It has a court house, a hospital, a historic college, and a colonial-era seaport district. But no department store that I'm aware of.

If you want a bigger city with more activities, shopping, and entertainments, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annapolis,_MD which also has a very charming, walkable downtown area, but is further from Philadelphia.

Easton, MD and St. Michael's, MD are also very highly rated, with Easton being the county seat and having more amenities.

I'm sure you've heard that Delaware has lower taxes, and in fact no sales tax. This is partly due to their revenue from Gambling, most of which is spent by out-of-staters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or