U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:33 PM

539 posts, read 405,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Many of the Koreatowns are not majority Korean residents though. They are more commercial than residential. Like the Koreatown in Queens County NY, has many chinese patrons. I believe Koreatown in LA is mostly mexican residents.
Yeah it is true that Koreatown in LA is mostly Mexican, but I do think Koreans still own most of the business and before the riots it was mostly Koreans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 09:35 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Koreatown in LA is gentrifying at a rapid pace. The biggest new groups are young whites professionals.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:14 PM

6,593 posts, read 3,645,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
Yeah it is true that Koreatown in LA is mostly Mexican, but I do think Koreans still own most of the business and before the riots it was mostly Koreans.
And the Los Angeles "Koreatown" has grown as Korean signage and businesses are spreading to north surplanting the few Filipino businesses in Historic Filipinotown and Little Bangladesh and east and south towards Pico Union in Los Angeles and the western edge until the neighborhoods are zoned residential

Old 10-26-2015, 11:56 PM

6,227 posts, read 6,382,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That's true for many of these "ethnic enclaves". In the East Bay, there's a "Little India" which has several blocks of Indian businesses, but the residents are mostly black & Chicano. Same for "Koreatown" in Oakland; up until the past few years it has been an all-black neighborhood (now being gentrified).
I did not know there is a koreatown in Oakland. I think there is a chinatown there though.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:54 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I did not know there is a koreatown in Oakland. I think there is a chinatown there though.
Yep, it was never officially designated by the city, but Telegraph between 24th & 40th streets has been lined with Korean businesses going back 20-30 years.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 AM

44,932 posts, read 36,237,009 times
I don't know but I love me some Korean food so it's fine by me!

I like having Koreatown in Dallas in close proximity.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:54 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
As I recall, Western Avenue in Chicago was a chain of ethnic towns. Every few blocks, all the storefront signs would suddenly change from one language to another.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:40 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,141,695 times
Speaking from experience (my wife is Korean) yes, they definitely stick together.

Even in Colorado Springs, MOST liquor stores, MOST Chinese, Japanese and Korean restaurants, MOST dry cleaners, and MOST Asian markets are Korean-owned. Along with a multitude of other businesses that serve their community and the city at large. There are about 5,000 Koreans in the Springs.

They have their own language newspaper, phone directory, insurance centers, travel agencies, etc.

And like my wife, many have 2 to 3 occupations. You may own a dry cleaner, but you're also a realtor and insurance agent.

We've been married for 10 years and my wife has been in the Springs for 35 years. As she tells me, we never have to worry about a meal.

Last edited by Kar54; 10-27-2015 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-27-2015, 09:23 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
The Koreatown in Houston seems like a really happening place.

https://goo.gl/maps/vdwoXatbaFS2
Houston's Koreatown is very basic. There are some restaurants and a couple of markets and that was it.

At least in Texas, Dallas had a far more active Koreatown. There was a nightlife associated with it. It had Koreans bars, karaoke, pool halls, etc. There was also a second Koreatown in Carrollton which was nice. It had a lot of the same stuff, but wasnt quite as active after dark. There were also two Korean spas in Dallas which Houston doesnt have even one.

Atlanta has a large Koreatown as well. They have pretty much anything Korean you can think of.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:21 PM

1,130 posts, read 733,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Houston's Koreatown is very basic. There are some restaurants and a couple of markets and that was it.

At least in Texas, Dallas had a far more active Koreatown. There was a nightlife associated with it. It had Koreans bars, karaoke, pool halls, etc. There was also a second Koreatown in Carrollton which was nice. It had a lot of the same stuff, but wasnt quite as active after dark. There were also two Korean spas in Dallas which Houston doesnt have even one.

Atlanta has a large Koreatown as well. They have pretty much anything Korean you can think of.
I agree. Houston's Koreatown is mainly restaurants and supermarkets. They have some other things like Korean travel agencies, etc. but it is pretty basic.

But surprisingly, Dallas doesn't have a Koreatown like that. Being that the Korean pop. in Dallas is bigger, you'd think there would be one wouldn't you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or