Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times

Advertisements

It's not even a mid-sized city, but little ol' Charlottesville, VA has Monticello and the UVa Rotunda:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/UVa_Rotunda.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 11:46 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Cincinnati has the flying pigs, at Sawyer Point. I'm not sure what it's about or if it's iconic, though.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:51 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
Ahh yes i've been to both monticello and the UVA rotunda. Charlottesville is simply beautiful. I have a great aunt and uncle who live there

Old 02-07-2008, 07:55 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
It sounds like your proud of it. That should not be an icon. Detroit's trying to improve, it doesn't make sense to have a ghetto as an icon. Why not have indian village or boston edison as it's icon instead.
Can you think of something else that would be the city's most distinctive feature? Hart Plaza? The Joe Louis fist sculpture? The Ren Cen? The Spirit of the City sculpture? The Ambassador Bridge? Faygo? The giant tire (Uniroyale?) on I-94? I think that what most outsiders of think of when they think of the City of Detroit is its world famous ghetto. Maintaining a world famous ghetto and becoming renowned worldwide for its Devil's Night celebrations is hard work. It's one thing the city does well. Heck, a white woman from Farmington Hills was even kicked and beaten by a gang of about 15 inner city teenagers at a downtown fireworks festival and it was caught on film. (Trying to find a YouTube video of it.)

One alternative--a plate of coney island hot dogs. We have the nation's best coney dogs and best coney island diners! (Folks who aren't from Detroit have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 02-07-2008 at 08:06 AM..

Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 PM

722 posts, read 2,100,803 times
The Star on the Mountain in El Paso

Old 09-19-2008, 09:57 PM

288 posts, read 1,329,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
The Star on the Mountain in El Paso
Is that real because I have never seen that before? Nice picture!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:59 PM

288 posts, read 1,329,034 times
I wouldn't say Las Vegas and Seattle are midsized

Seattle

From Flickr

Las Vegas

But if for some reason you think they are midsized then both would definitely when the popularity contest hands down. Because that's what this really is anyways.

and the reasons would be...............

Seattle - The Space Needle

Las Vegas - The Strip

Is the west coast sexy or what!

and for iconic venues give me...........

The Staple Center - Los Angeles, CA

Or Qwest Field - Seattle, WA

Old 09-19-2008, 11:21 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
Is that real because I have never seen that before? Nice picture!
yes it is, but it's not like "OMG look at that star on the mountain"
But its nice to go up the mountain and view the city lights from above, I always like to look at cities from above, its so much more gratifying to see at the sparkling lights.
Off topic: I remember 2 time I was flying out of Los Angeles and I loved the view...
One time it was to Manila, the other to Cleveland.
although California from the Air in that daylight is UGLY... well sort of... very...desert-y...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.