U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what state should i move to?
Manchester, NH. 8 26.67%
Worcester, MA. 8 26.67%
Portland, ME. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 PM

32 posts, read 19,803 times

Advertisements

Best New England City to start over in???

More choices on my second thread. Here is the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 10:40 AM

1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
I love Providence,but employment in Rhode Island is hard to come by. Manchester, Lowell and Worcester are better for jobs.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:31 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I love Providence,but employment in Rhode Island is hard to come by. Manchester, Lowell and Worcester are better for jobs.
And even Worcester and Manchester are hard to find jobs in. In New England, really, the only places that are easier to find a job in are Stamford, CT, Boston, MA, and to a lesser extent, Hartford, CT and New Haven, CT. The rest of New England is tough to find a job.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:35 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Three good choices, but I like Portland the most, followed by Manchester.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
And even Worcester and Manchester are hard to find jobs in. In New England, really, the only places that are easier to find a job in are Stamford, CT, Boston, MA, and to a lesser extent, Hartford, CT and New Haven, CT. The rest of New England is tough to find a job.
I don't think it's as hard as California, but I'm not there yet so we will see.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:09 PM

56,517 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameeks87 View Post
Are you looking strictly for Communications employment or could you do something else, just in case?

Also, are you looking to potentially go back to school in the future?

Old 11-03-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you looking strictly for Communications employment or could you do something else, just in case?

Also, are you looking to potentially go back to school in the future?
I will be doing something else till I get my degree next year. I'm already in college at an online school so I won't have to worry about going to classes or anything.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameeks87 View Post
I've lived in New England almost my entire life (I'm 31 now) and the major reliable centers of employment are Boston MA, Stamford CT, New Haven, CT and Hartford, CT. It's possible to find a job outside of those areas, sure, but VERY hard.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:44 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've lived in New England almost my entire life (I'm 31 now) and the major reliable centers of employment are Boston MA, Stamford CT, New Haven, CT and Hartford, CT. It's possible to find a job outside of those areas, sure, but VERY hard.
This could be rephrased as very hard to find a good paying job outside those mentioned areas.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
This could be rephrased as very hard to find a good paying job outside those mentioned areas.
That is correct.

Jobs pay very, very well in CT and Boston. In northern New England, not so much. Jobs in Portland and Maine in general pay dramatically less than they do in southern New England, yet the cost of living is not much lower in Maine.

I would say that the best ratio of wages and cost of living in New England is central CT, where the jobs pay very well, and the cost of living is not really that expensive, despite those who complain about it. Providence too, if you can actually get a damn job there. The wages in Boston are only a little higher than they are in central CT, but the cost of living is WAY higher, so it's a bad ratio. Then you have northern New England, where the jobs don't pay that great, yet the cost of living is about the same as that in central CT. So I would say that central/eastern CT and Providence/RI and even central/western Mass are a good ratio for wages to cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or