Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what state should i move to?
Manchester, NH. 8 26.67%
Worcester, MA. 8 26.67%
Portland, ME. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 02:40 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,586,819 times

Advertisements

Portland is the nicest of the 3, but I'm not certain it's what I'd recommend. Aside from the cost, I'd suspect without a car it would feel the most isolated - that is, nice when you're fine staying in town, but the hardest to go anywhere without a car. Though there is a bus to Boston, I think it's over 3 hours, vs. 60-90 minutes from either Worc/Manch.

Worcester, particularly as a metro, does have some nicer areas, and I think is judged more negatively than it deserves as a whole. That said, I'm not enough of an expert to say how much overlap there is between the nicer areas and areas that are both affordable and have some access to public transport/walking.

As for Manchester, I generally don't recommend it (or at least not the places one could live without a vehicle), even as someone who's fond of NH.

I'd second the suggestion to look at Lowell. As a bonus it's on the rail line, so easier to get into Boston to do things, and/or down the road if you wanted to find work in the city itself. New Bedford/New Haven are interesting suggestions - could look at Salem, MA as well, though it's not exactly cheap either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 03:25 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,870,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
People say that Manchester is just a downtown surrounded by suburbs, but I didn't think the downtown was particularly good. It was desolate (I was there on a weekend) and didn't feel very compact or walkable.
Are you sure you were in town. It looks pretty walkable to me. Lots of 19th-century storefonts, very few parking lots. Elm Street is a bit too wide, and there are too many highrise-style buildings towards the river, but as a medium-sized New England city goes, it's above average.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:34 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times
Any neighborhood that's urban, walkable and trendy in New England is going to be EXPENSIVE. Downtown New Haven is very expensive. You will be paying at least $1,300 for a 1 bd apartment. And the city is quite congested with traffic. The OP seems to want to get away from that. Nightlife in New Haven is decent, however. But is nightlife really a top priority? The importance of nightlife, on these forums, is over the top.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:34 PM

92,053 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Can I ask why you picked these three places? I can think of a significant number of other New England cities I'd rather live in than any of them, like New Haven, Lowell, or New Bedford.
I was wondering the same thing ...OP, are these the only 3 cities in New England or the Northeast you are looking into? Keep in mind that the further inland within New England and the Northeast, the more affordable it is in terms of overall COL.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:19 PM

822 posts, read 845,753 times
Try Providence .... outside of Boston, I think it has the most to offer

Old 10-29-2015, 07:18 PM

92,053 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameeks87 View Post
Thank you, this really helped me a lot. I'm looking for a city that does have so nightlife though and possibly finding a job. Manchester seems to be right in the middle of the two other cities I choose. I am more interested in a place that has a beach and good bus ssystem since I do not have a car yet. Crime is also imporwant in that I want to feel safe.
What about a small city like Plattsburgh NY, which has a city beach on Lake Champlain, it is safe and while the Black percentage is only about 4-5%, it is a city that has had a Black population due to having an active Air Force for many years until it closed about 19 years ago. It is only an hour south of Montreal, if you want that major city fix as well.

It does have a NBC affiliate(WPTZ 5) and it shares its TV market with Burlington VT. Burlington is across Lake Champlain and there is a ferry that crosses the lake at a pretty good frequency. I believe that the ABC and CBS affiliates for the area are in Burlington.

City of Plattsburgh Recreation Department

CCPT Homepage

Lake Champlain Ferries | New York & Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation

Reporter/Anchor | News Team - WPTZ Home

Home | Burlington, Plattsburgh | myChamplainValley | WVNY Local 22 and WFFF Local 44

Home WCAX.com - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

If you want something bigger, Rochester NY has 2 beaches on Lake Ontario in/near the city. It is demographically much different than those 3 New England cities. It does have a group like this that could help serve as a support group: Rochester Black Young Professionals

It is a city of 210,000, but there are also nice, walkable villages outside of the city and a suburb like Brighton has some walkability and is close to nightlife in the city's SE Quadrant. If you want the city limits, the SE Quadrant, the 19th Ward south of Brooks and Downtown would work. Your best bet is the SE Quadrant though.

Rochester has all of the television affiliates and it also has one of two Black owned and operated radio stations in Upstate NY in WDKX 103.9. Parks Ontario Beach Park | Monroe County, NY

City of Rochester | Durand Eastman Park and Beach

WDKX.com | 103.9 FM Rochester NY
History of WDKX | WDKX.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-29-2015 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 07:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,382,842 times
I wouldn't be crazy about any of the three, but would pick Manchester, NH over the other two. It's also just not the City or the area, but I would prefer NH as a State. Although I have to say, I know very little about the particulars.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:37 PM

32 posts, read 25,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about a small city like Plattsburgh NY, which has a city beach on Lake Champlain, it is safe and while the Black percentage is only about 4-5%, it is a city that has had a Black population due to having an active Air Force for many years until it closed about 19 years ago. It is only an hour south of Montreal, if you want that major city fix as well.

It does have a NBC affiliate(WPTZ 5) and it shares its TV market with Burlington VT. Burlington is across Lake Champlain and there is a ferry that crosses the lake at a pretty good frequency. I believe that the ABC and CBS affiliates for the area are in Burlington.

City of Plattsburgh Recreation Department

CCPT Homepage

Lake Champlain Ferries | New York & Vermont Ferry Crossings | Lake Champlain Transportation

Reporter/Anchor | News Team - WPTZ Home

Home | Burlington, Plattsburgh | myChamplainValley | WVNY Local 22 and WFFF Local 44

Home WCAX.com - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
I would like to be in new England. Besides, ny state taxes are higher. I am now looking at more cities in Massachusetts as well as new Hampshire and even connecticut. The economy in all of themy are of great importance to me at this point.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:38 PM

32 posts, read 25,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
I wouldn't be crazy about any of the three, but would pick Manchester, NH over the other two. It's also just not the City or the area, but I would prefer NH as a State. Although I have to say, I know very little about the particulars.
But why would you pick Manchester out of all three choices? Have you ever been?

Old 10-29-2015, 07:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times
I love New England also. Best region in the country, hands down. I love the weather, the politics, the scenery, the housing, charm, outdoor space, etc. It can be very expensive in some areas though.

Connecticut is the most racially diverse New England state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.