U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what state should i move to?
Manchester, NH. 8 26.67%
Worcester, MA. 8 26.67%
Portland, ME. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:21 PM

32 posts, read 19,895 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Ahva and I'm am in need of some guidance for my move from California to New England. I am a online college student who will have a degree in Communications in a year or so. I am done with California and am really looking to broaden my horizens and move back east. I have narrowed down my three choices to Worcester, Ma.; Manchester, NH,; or Portland, Maine. I am an African American woman but I don't let my race stop me from anything. I love to travel and do different things and meet new people. What is the best place of these three? Please help me with any information that would help me choose what place is best. The economy? Transportation? Dating? Weather? Beaches? Any Indo would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 11:10 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,168,264 times
I think you would be best off in the Worcester area, of those three choices. It's about a 50 minute drive from Boston, but it's not nearly as expensive to live in. It's also an area that's not too big, nor too small. Definitely more racially diverse than Manchester or Portland, if that's a concern. Manchester and Portland are about half the population as Worcester overall. Weather is the same in all of these cities, for the most part. Cold, long snowy winters. Worcester is inland and if you care about beaches you'll have to drive at least an hour. I also think Worcester would have the most job opportunities.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 AM

12,476 posts, read 11,983,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think you would be best off in the Worcester area, of those three choices. It's about a 50 minute drive from Boston, but it's not nearly as expensive to live in. It's also an area that's not too big, nor too small. Definitely more racially diverse than Manchester or Portland, if that's a concern. Manchester and Portland are about half the population as Worcester overall. Weather is the same in all of these cities, for the most part. Cold, long snowy winters. Worcester is inland and if you care about beaches you'll have to drive at least an hour. I also think Worcester would have the most job opportunities.
I disagree. I've never spent much time in Worcester, but I had friends who grew up around there, and it seems like a pretty cruddy city. Last I checked, it's now the highest-crime medium-sized city in New England, although admittedly this is more because crime has been falling elsewhere, not because it's getting worse. In addition, it doesn't really have much of anything going in terms of nightlife, and has a horribly urban renewed downtown, and nothing in terms of walkable neighborhoods that young professionals live in. The non-white population is mostly Latino as well, which might not be what she's looking for. Realistically speaking if she lived there she would be living in some random suburb outside of Worcester, which she could do anywhere, so what's the point.

Portland is a nice little city, but very expensive. It's a much smaller and whiter city, but the black community as a percentage isn't much smaller than Worcester (7% versus 10%). It doesn't really feel urban unless you're east of 295 though, outside of to a limited extent the area around Woodford's corner. And the walkable parts of Portland are more expensive than the rest of the city - you'll be lucky to find a place for under $1,000 per month, although I think as low as $800 per month is still possible.

Manchester is bigger than Portland, but not as big as Worcester. It has the smallest black population as a percentage (4%) but in terms of raw numbers it's around the same as Portland. It has a fairly nice downtown for a small New England city, but that's about it - the rest of the city is like a giant suburb. There are lots of apartments in downtown Manchester though, some of which are fairly affordable in the $600-$700 per month range.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:24 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,549,021 times
I'm profoundly unimpressed by Manchester, and though Worcester is supposed to be making some nice strides in terms of development, it's true that it still doesn't have the best reputation. I think Portland is the winner here, though it can be tough to find jobs and the weather is easily the worst of the three (unless you love cold and snow, which some people do).

Old 10-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I'm profoundly unimpressed by Manchester, and though Worcester is supposed to be making some nice strides in terms of development, it's true that it still doesn't have the best reputation. I think Portland is the winner here, though it can be tough to find jobs and the weather is easily the worst of the three (unless you love cold and snow, which some people do).
What did you not like about Manchester? I've been hearing Worcester is grimy and Portland is expensive but I'm leaning more towards Portland, I think...im not sure yet.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:10 AM

Can I ask why you picked these three places? I can think of a significant number of other New England cities I'd rather live in than any of them, like New Haven, Lowell, or New Bedford.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I disagree. I've never spent much time in Worcester, but I had friends who grew up around there, and it seems like a pretty cruddy city. Last I checked, it's now the highest-crime medium-sized city in New England, although admittedly this is more because crime has been falling elsewhere, not because it's getting worse. In addition, it doesn't really have much of anything going in terms of nightlife, and has a horribly urban renewed downtown, and nothing in terms of walkable neighborhoods that young professionals live in. The non-white population is mostly Latino as well, which might not be what she's looking for. Realistically speaking if she lived there she would be living in some random suburb outside of Worcester, which she could do anywhere, so what's the point.

Portland is a nice little city, but very expensive. It's a much smaller and whiter city, but the black community as a percentage isn't much smaller than Worcester (7% versus 10%). It doesn't really feel urban unless you're east of 295 though, outside of to a limited extent the area around Woodford's corner. And the walkable parts of Portland are more expensive than the rest of the city - you'll be lucky to find a place for under $1,000 per month, although I think as low as $800 per month is still possible.

Manchester is bigger than Portland, but not as big as Worcester. It has the smallest black population as a percentage (4%) but in terms of raw numbers it's around the same as Portland. It has a fairly nice downtown for a small New England city, but that's about it - the rest of the city is like a giant suburb. There are lots of apartments in downtown Manchester though, some of which are fairly affordable in the $600-$700 per month range.
Thank you, this really helped me a lot. I'm looking for a city that does have so nightlife though and possibly finding a job. Manchester seems to be right in the middle of the two other cities I choose. I am more interested in a place that has a beach and good bus ssystem since I do not have a car yet. Crime is also imporwant in that I want to feel safe.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Can I ask why you picked these three places? I can think of a significant number of other New England cities I'd rather live in than any of them, like New Haven, Lowell, or New Bedford.
I picked them because I want a city that has between 60,000 to no more than 200,000 people in it. I am sick of living in heavily congested cities and am looking for a change... I want to explore and really enjoy New England in my semi-perfect city. I've been wrestling between Lowell and Springfield but am still unsure.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameeks87 View Post
Thank you, this really helped me a lot. I'm looking for a city that does have so nightlife though and possibly finding a job. Manchester seems to be right in the middle of the two other cities I choose. I am more interested in a place that has a beach and good bus system since I do not have a car yet. Crime is also imporwant in that I want to feel safe.
Manchester and Worcester aren't really anywhere near a beach - you'd need to drive for close to an hour to get to the coast in Manchester, and over an hour to get to the coast in Worcester. Portland is on the water and does have a small beach, but given the water temperature you probably wouldn't want to swim there except in the summer (and even then it's going to be cool).

Quote:
I picked them because I want a city that has between 60,000 to no more than 200,000 people in it. I am sick of living in heavily congested cities and am looking for a change... I want to explore and really enjoy New England in my semi-perfect city. I've been wrestling between Lowell and Springfield but am still unsure.
Springfield is a pit of a city, and nowhere near the water - it wouldn't have anything you are interested in. Lowell has improved dramatically over the past decade, and is quite livable if you want to be "in the city" but it's also not coastal.

Given your interests, I would strongly suggest you look more closely at New Haven. I lived in New Haven around ten years ago, and while it's on the pricey side, it has everything you're looking for. You don't need a car if you live close to Downtown - there is a robust bus service and two different grocery stores in walking distance. It has the best dining scene in New England of anywhere save Boston. You can take the train into NYC if you want for a day trip. There's a decent beach at Morris Cove you can get to by bicycle. There's some sketch and crime, particularly if you live too far south or west of Downtown, but as long as you live in Downtown or East Rock/Wooster Square you're fine.

I'd also consider New Bedford, due to your desire for a seaside location. It has a nice walkable downtown, and is pretty affordable since it's far away from most of the major job centers in Massachusetts. It's a pretty diverse area, although not in the typical manner of a major U.S. city. It long had a Portuguese community, and in recent years has attracted a lot of other Portuguese-speaking groups, like Cape Verdeans and Brazilians, with substantial Puerto Rican and black communities as well.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:24 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,549,021 times
Quote:
What did you not like about Manchester? I've been hearing Worcester is grimy and Portland is expensive but I'm leaning more towards Portland, I think...im not sure yet.
People say that Manchester is just a downtown surrounded by suburbs, but I didn't think the downtown was particularly good. It was desolate (I was there on a weekend) and didn't feel very compact or walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or