U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 16 days ago)
 
8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
Reputation: 12722

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But this is true in places like WV, PA, even upstate NY as well - and the Ozarks too for that matter. This is not exclusively a southern issue. It's more of a "mountain folk" issue.

True. Spent time in Upstate NY a year ago and time is definitely "frozen." I guess the 70's. Lol. I grew up there, but hasn't changed much, if at all. Didn't care for that, but works for them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2015, 08:59 PM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,142 posts, read 1,518,376 times
Reputation: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
To blame the lack of growth on Republican government is nonsensical. Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Alabama are very rural states that aren't doing well because many of them, IIRC, oppose most forms of industrialization/urbanization.
What's the difference between Georgia and Alabama excluding Atlanta and Birmingham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2015, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Reputation: 9512
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
What's the difference between Georgia and Alabama excluding Atlanta and Birmingham?
Huge difference. For starters, Atlanta is NOTHING like Birmingham so to "exclude" them (or not) is rather pointless.

Georgia's higher education system is superior to Alabama's. Georgia's tax system is more progressive than Alabama's. Georgia has Savannah and Brunswick -- the busiest ports on the eastern seaboard (after NY-NJ). And of course, Georgia's more central location in the heart of the Southeast is what makes it a transportation and logistics juggernaut -- indeed it's WHY Hartsfield-Jackson is the busiest airport in the world and why Savannah is the fastest growing (and 4th busiest) container port in the country. And those two things right there -- the airport and the ports -- are THE top drivers of Georgia's economy, and the economy's of immediate surrounding states as well.

When a company chooses to locate in Alabama, its proximity to Atlanta and Georgia's ports is often a factor. SEE THE DIFFERENCE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,357,535 times
Reputation: 1219
^^I don't know if I should call this post idiotic or funny as ****. Could qualify as both.

When Remington, Airbus, MB, etc decided to locate in Alabama I doubt Georgia's ports or Atlanta's airport had much of anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 06:52 AM
 
29,881 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Reputation: 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
^^I don't know if I should call this post idiotic or funny as ****. Could qualify as both.

When Remington, Airbus, MB, etc decided to locate in Alabama I doubt Georgia's ports or Atlanta's airport had much of anything to do with it.
I disagree with him in saying that Atlanta and Birmingham are nothing alike (historically and geographically, they have much in common) and I think he may overstate the importance of proximity to Georgia's ports for companies locating in Alabama (I think that's true mostly of car manufacturers), but otherwise I think his points are solid; Georgia's ports and higher ed system are superior to Alabama's. Not sure about tax structures however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 11:51 AM
 
512 posts, read 376,661 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
To blame the lack of growth on Republican government is nonsensical. Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Alabama are very rural states that aren't doing well because many of them, IIRC, oppose most forms of industrialization/urbanization.
I never said that Republicans are the reason for lack of growth. That would be nonsensical to my point that some of the best governed states are also Republican.

Secondly being against industrialization/urbanization is to be against growth. Every place that grows on the planet moves from rural to city as time progresses. This resistance against it seems to me against the free-market (which is something that Republicans at least nominally seem to favor) as cities are essentially centers of trade. This is also why they lost the Civil War, sadly they seem to be making the same mistake.

What is so wrong with urbanization? Sure not everyone wants to live in the city, but why prevent the people that do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,357,535 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I disagree with him in saying that Atlanta and Birmingham are nothing alike (historically and geographically, they have much in common) and I think he may overstate the importance of proximity to Georgia's ports for companies locating in Alabama (I think that's true mostly of car manufacturers), but otherwise I think his points are solid; Georgia's ports and higher ed system are superior to Alabama's. Not sure about tax structures however.
I agree that Georgia is better when it comes to higher ed and the tax structure (Alabama has a regressive tax structure).

He/she seems to have a personal ax to grind when it comes to Birmingham and Alabama for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 04:11 PM
 
1,822 posts, read 1,399,709 times
Reputation: 2087
It's not a political matter, it's more of a cultural difference. The south often comes across as more dynamic and flexible, ready and open to change. More of a "can-do" attitude.

Who knows, maybe it is related to hot and cold. Heat tends to activate life and activity; cold tends to slow down activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 04:27 PM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,156 posts, read 6,486,683 times
Reputation: 8019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Huge difference. For starters, Atlanta is NOTHING like Birmingham so to "exclude" them (or not) is rather pointless.

Georgia's higher education system is superior to Alabama's. Georgia's tax system is more progressive than Alabama's. Georgia has Savannah and Brunswick -- the busiest ports on the eastern seaboard (after NY-NJ). And of course, Georgia's more central location in the heart of the Southeast is what makes it a transportation and logistics juggernaut -- indeed it's WHY Hartsfield-Jackson is the busiest airport in the world and why Savannah is the fastest growing (and 4th busiest) container port in the country. And those two things right there -- the airport and the ports -- are THE top drivers of Georgia's economy, and the economy's of immediate surrounding states as well.

When a company chooses to locate in Alabama, its proximity to Atlanta and Georgia's ports is often a factor. SEE THE DIFFERENCE?



Georgia- Alabama = Same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2015, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Southeast, where else?
3,914 posts, read 4,220,885 times
Reputation: 5802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Why have some southern states done so well? Just looking to see an opinion. IMO some of the biggest growth in the US has occurred in the south over the recent years. The states in particular are Texas, North Carolina, Florida, Tennessee & Georgia. At the same time the south has also stuck with bad performance. Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas & Alabama come to mind. So since these are all Republican states, what is the difference? Some Republicans governing differently? Something else? Personally I would like to see Mississippi become the fastest growing state because it would do so much for the country, race relations etc. However I do not see it happening.
South:

The good....

Weather, more mild. Winters are not nearly as tough. No digging your car out and rare a windshield get scraped....
Women....no other way to say this but, they are just pretty. Sorry, grew up in the Northern Ohio area and they just are. Thank you females one and all in the South....helping to keep America beautiful, one good looking woman, of all ages...at a time....grace, beauty, and a fair amount of botox and augmentations don't hurt....
Lower corporate Taxes.....
Few unions!
Better demeanor....people actually get to know their neighbors and while all is not always genuine..it can be nice.....growing up North I never knew my next door neighbors...ever....
Courtesy....again, not always genuine (how are eeeewwwwwwww? as she tears the woman apart with her friends shorty thereafter) but, for the most part, it is...and for those that fake it? At least the interchange is more pleasant...when I went home about 8 years ago and waived at my brother's neighbor he told me to stop it or people would think I was goofy....waiving to a neighbor....oh the humanity!

Opportunities....until recently, going North looking for a job was like going to a nun to get laid....sure, you can try but, your odds are pretty bad. Skip it.

Religion. Very pronounced but, not a corner on it as some would have you believe. As it turns out, religion is real big up North too. Real big. It's just not usually a lifestyle. However, the one biggest church you must contend with is the SEC.

Nothing can strike a more visceral reaction than who you cheer fall in the fall. The SEC IS religion....it's an out of body experience and it blows pro ball away. It's probably the only place where pro players are careful what they say and who they say it to when it comes to college football.

God himself watches the SEC on Saturdays and with good reason. The most devoted humans, right or wrong, are found in front of TV sets and sitting in stadiums and bars cheering them on. Amazing. And yet, mesmerizing....I know I love it.....losing 2 games as an SEC coach is pushing the limit on any contract....losing 3 and you are probably on your way out....lose 4 and they will hold your kids and wife hostage and pull a jihad on your house.

It's that serious.

The bad....

Sometimes, friendliness is not always genuine and people can nose about your business....bless his heart and all that crap...up North, you know PRECISELY where you stand...if they don't like you, you know it...they are actually more self-sufficient up North than one might think but, sadly, it's at the cost of social grace and necessity......

Schools....primary AND secondary...no one is ever going to accuse the schools down South as being "great"...they simply aren't...and while we do enjoy Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, and Emory for being top notch, one has to remember that is 3 across three states......pick on any couple of states up in the North and there are a litany of them.....Case Western, Carnegie Mellon, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Penn, Dartmouth, Northwestern, University of Chicago, Purdue, Colgate, Cornell, NYU, MIT, Penn State, Wesleyan, Tufts, Naval Academy, West Point, William and Mary. If none of those trip your trigger, there are simply MORE colleges up north to choose from....

Don't shoot the messenger, just a fact...haven't even touched the others that would make most VSU's, Univ of B'ham, and others pale in comparison....

Graduation rates in the south for high school are some of the worst in the country and it's a common thread among all southern states.....

Depending where you live, the Southern Summers can be scorching....believe it or not, it's not nearly as bad in Atlanta as some might think.....southern Georgia can cook eggs on the sidewalk.....although, this past summer one might take pause with that statement.....








The ugly.....

the more rural you go the more it's possible to not be accepted. Oddly enough, having been born in the south and raised in the north only to matriculate to the south as an adult I can tell you that southerners are not treated as poorly going north as northerners going south. It's crazy too because in the 1910-1930's the south was emptying itself for southerners to go north for all the auto, rubber, and steel jobs....not what those have had their rears kicked in for decades, people are moving south because like all humans, you go where the jobs are...period. Depending where you go in this state, you can meet some resistance. Best advice is do NOT act like you are superior and don't start telling everyone how they should live.....some states/areas, can be particularly annoying....Chicago natives for example...seem to have....an air?

While it's true Chicago has been a landmark for business for well over a 100 years, it also leads the nation I believe in murders, ridiculous democratic ideals, a less than performing president, and graft that would make Huey Long blush. Please. Park it. Just sayin'.

To ignore the inherent friction of anti-yankee sentiment in certain areas is folly. Be careful. Hypocrisy abounds and no one gets a break. The quicker you assimilate, the easier you will find it living in the South.

Summation?

While it's not perfect, one can certainly find it exponentially more pleasing to live in the south for weather, beauty (women deep...even with the transplants!), civility, cost of living, lower taxes and easier pace and for me, that's more than enough and I am overtly grateful for it.

I've lived in many places and when all is considered, there is just something about that Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta triangle that smacks of "home". Not perfect, just overall pretty darned good.

Good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top