U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 05:14 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,566,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Yeah, but how about Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana......besides, some of those statistics can be a bit off as we all have found out.....a kid getting a 4.0 in Reynolds County Georgia lands a scholarship on Hope and then promptly fails out his/her first semester at UGA.....accident? Hardly.

While the curriculum is the allegedly the same, the need for teachers to hang on to the only gainful employment within 50 miles of said Reynolds County, with a pension!!!! is going to make darn sure those kids are going to look like geniuses from the trailer park.....as if.....

Kids have seen it at tech....rural kids with "4.0 GPA's" bomb in the first semester at Georgia Tech......it's not an accident....no one is going to convince me a school system, primarily poor and rural in this state is putting out the same quality of student as some of the more trying and affluent counties in this state. They just arent'. Are there some jewels in the crowd? You bet.....are there some that deserve every chance we can afford them? Absolutely....

However, having worked with these schools on their infrastructure, it's a miracle some of faculty is allowed to hold the job. It is, what it is.....look at their drop out rates.....county by county......

No matter, look at that list again....the southern states typically, not unilaterally, have poorer results in academics than their northern counter-parts and I take NO pleasure in saying that. It is....what it is.....
I think you do take pleasure in it and it is certainly not "what it is" by any means.Maybe 100 years ago or even 50 but not now in alot of the sunbelt. I read you said were raised up north so that makes alot of sense because if you were a southerner you are being a major wimp. Florida and Georgia both have schools in top 10 of both of these lists of the top high schools and magnet schools in the country. Obviously the Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology is not the same as maybe a rural school but the charter and magnet schools in the south are some of the best in the country.

7 of the top 10 high schools in the national rankings in 2015 are in the south

Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News

8 of the top 10 magnet schools in the country are in the south

Best Magnet School Rankings | Top Magnet Schools | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:51 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I think you do take pleasure in it and it is certainly not "what it is" by any means.Maybe 100 years ago or even 50 but not now in alot of the sunbelt. I read you said were raised up north so that makes alot of sense because if you were a southerner you are being a major wimp. Florida and Georgia both have schools in top 10 of both of these lists of the top high schools and magnet schools in the country. Obviously the Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology is not the same as maybe a rural school but the charter and magnet schools in the south are some of the best in the country.

Here's the dropout rankings by state....don't shoot the messenger.....

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/

Here's the rankings by state as it relates to the top high schools...seems to differ from your stats.....note the trend overall....can't argue...it is...what it is..... Btw, I was born in Louisiana....can't recommend those either....

How States Compare in the 2015 Best High Schools Rankings - US News

You are taking it personal. Don't. The density is higher up there are there are quite a few more colleges in those states along with people ergo the electoral college? Ignore that and you are being ignorant to tjose facts.......

Old 11-04-2015, 07:21 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
WV is not a southern state. It's one of the most incredibly poverty stricken areas I've ever seen.

My husband spends a lot of time working in Pittsburgh and I go up that way pretty often. That whole region of Appalachia is poor, dirty, and grimy. I don't see any end in sight for them for a long time, either.

We're not living in the past - we're living in the present and looking toward the future. The present and future of those areas looks pretty bleak to me.
Sorry to have to disagree with you Kathryn, but for general purposes West Virginia is a southern state. It falls more easily into that section than any other, though I do know that it laps over into other areas. But by and large, it is southern. It was found to be southern by the first sociologist of the south, Howard W. Odum, here, in 1936, though he took it out because he misunderstood the state history. He never explained why, though a fellow sociologist spilled the beans. He kept Kentucky in the south, but the irony is that WV supported the Confederacy much more than Kentucky did, but Odum didn't know that.

It is found to be southern by the most recent study by a new generation of social geographers, Christopher Cooper and H.G. Knotts in their study "Rethinking the Boundaries of the South". (Unfortunately the article can only be accessed by account, but WV is one of their 13 southern states).

No one has to accept it as southern, but there it is.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:41 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,566,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Here's the dropout rankings by state....don't shoot the messenger.....

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/

Here's the rankings by state as it relates to the top high schools...seems to differ from your stats.....note the trend overall....can't argue...it is...what it is..... Btw, I was born in Louisiana....can't recommend those either....

You are taking it personal. Don't. The density is higher up there are there are quite a few more colleges in those states along with people ergo the electoral college? Ignore that and you are being ignorant to tjose facts.......
I am not taking it personal at all. I really dont care where you were born, I just know you said were raised in the north. No red blooded southern male is this wimpy to post all this anti southern crap .You post this
nonsense https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/

So California, the home of Silicon valley and so much technological advancement for this country , has a bad school system and ranked 43rd in the nation? Obviously charter schools and private schools in the south bay arent coming into play here.

This stat you posted has Virginia,Maryland,Georgia, DC ,Florida in the top 12? Even if you dont put Maryland and DC (?) in the south, florida and georgia certainly arent lagging as you said. Texas is certainly at the top if you include charter schools and magnets

I stand by what I said, the South has many of the best charter and private schools and top performing public high schools in the nation

These arent my stats

The Southern states make up around 35 percent of the US economy and the region that provides the largest percentage of economic growth for the nation, routinely the last few years over 40% of the nations economic growth.

If you are blind to the vibrant STEM economy in your own city and the amazing colleges like Georgia Tech ( Georgia Institute of Technology) , Emory in your own city, you certainly arent going to notice what is happening in the texas triangle,huntsville,nashville, research triangle in north carolina, etc

Last edited by floridanative10; 11-04-2015 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 10:55 PM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Sorry to have to disagree with you Kathryn, but for general purposes West Virginia is a southern state. It falls more easily into that section than any other, though I do know that it laps over into other areas. But by and large, it is southern. It was found to be southern by the first sociologist of the south, Howard W. Odum, here, in 1936, though he took it out because he misunderstood the state history. He never explained why, though a fellow sociologist spilled the beans. He kept Kentucky in the south, but the irony is that WV supported the Confederacy much more than Kentucky did, but Odum didn't know that.

It is found to be southern by the most recent study by a new generation of social geographers, Christopher Cooper and H.G. Knotts in their study "Rethinking the Boundaries of the South". (Unfortunately the article can only be accessed by account, but WV is one of their 13 southern states).

No one has to accept it as southern, but there it is.
It's Appalachian culture, basically and that culture runs from upstate NY to Alabama.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:15 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,171 times
Quote:
It's Appalachian culture, basically and that culture runs from upstate NY to Alabama.
No, Kathryn, it is southern Appalachian culture. There's a difference. Cooper and Knotts also did a study of Appalachian geography, Appalachian culture is centered around Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee and N. Carolina. There are no studies that link WV to PA, NJ or NY, it is too different as far as religion, dialect, income, education, history, etc. Those are the things that make regional differences. Surely you're not saying that Alabama to NY is the same culture. It's a geological feature, that's like saying Maine to Florida is the same because it's all on the ocean.

Last edited by Bobilee; 11-05-2015 at 12:31 AM..

Old 11-05-2015, 07:26 AM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
No, Kathryn, it is southern Appalachian culture. There's a difference. Cooper and Knotts also did a study of Appalachian geography, Appalachian culture is centered around Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee and N. Carolina. There are no studies that link WV to PA, NJ or NY, it is too different as far as religion, dialect, income, education, history, etc. Those are the things that make regional differences. Surely you're not saying that Alabama to NY is the same culture. It's a geological feature, that's like saying Maine to Florida is the same because it's all on the ocean.
Not sure you realize this but my husband has been working up in WV, PA,and upstate NY for about three years now, so I've spent a lot of time in that region, though I'm from the South (having lived in Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Texas). I don't care what some study claims - West Virginia culture is NOT southern culture. It's Appalachian culture and seems much more aligned with Pennsylvania and Kentucky than with most other southern states.

This is a border region and of course will have some qualities of both the northern and southern states, but also has it's own unique, mountain culture that is not "southern" or "northern" or "midwestern."

We could argue this all day - as many others have done in the past - to no avail. West Virginians would even tell you they are either the most northern of the southern states, or the most southern of the northern states - they're right in the middle.

Quote:
West Virginia is sometimes called the most northern of the southern states or the most southern of the northern states because it is right in the middle. It is the only state that is completely within the Appalachian Mountains, which are some of the oldest in the world. Everywhere you look in West Virginia, there are mountains.
West Virginia Department of Commerce About West Virginia
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Quote:
As a state that’s not quite part of the Northeast, the Midwest, or the South, West Virginia, as a whole, is a state with a bit of an identity crisis. In truth, West Virginia has a little bit of all those parts of the country in its makeup.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2015 at 05:44 AM..

Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 AM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
True. Spent time in Upstate NY a year ago and time is definitely "frozen." I guess the 70's. Lol. I grew up there, but hasn't changed much, if at all. Didn't care for that, but works for them!
This sounds like some of the smaller towns in the Southern Tier or the mountain towns.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 AM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
I agree with a lot of this (not all but much of it) but I did want to point out something that immediately struck me - the graduation rates.

Texas ranks 3rd in the nation for highest four year high school graduation rates. In fact, four southern states are above the national average when it comes to graduation rates: Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee and Virginia.

High School Graduation Rates by State
What makes the grad rate aspect complex is that it isn't necessarily universally measured. This article gets into this: High School Graduation Rates: The Good, The Bad And The Ambiguous : NPR Ed : NPR

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...H2DT_blog.html

Old 11-05-2015, 08:57 AM

29,939 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Not sure you realize this but my husband has been working up in WV, PA,and upstate NY for about three years now, so I've spent a lot of time in that region, though I'm from the South (having lived in Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Texas). I don't care what some study claims - West Virginia culture is NOT southern culture. It's Appalachian culture and seems much more aligned with Pennsylvania and Kentucky than with most other southern states.

This is a border region and of course will have some qualities of both the northern and southern states, but also has it's own unique, mountain culture that is not "southern" or "northern" or "midwestern."

We could argue this all day - as many others have done in the past - to no avail. West Virginians would even tell you they are either the most northern of the southern states, or the most southern of the northern states - they're right in the middle.

West Virginia Department of Commerce About West Virginia

I generally consider WV a Southern state, but that's up for some debate because the whole state doesn't lean Southern. But the bulk of its Appalachian culture seems to line up more with that of VA, KY, TN, NC, etc., and the Appalachian culture in those states is but one variation of general Southern culture.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2015 at 05:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or