U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:17 PM

44,840 posts, read 36,203,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Kathryn, there are so many misconceptions in your post that I don't know where to begin.

First, West Virginia was created by a group of opportunists, with the help of the Federal government, to make their own state. They had little support from West Virginians, the vote for statehood garnered less than 25% of the states voters. One of the reasons that they could create the state was because the Confederacy, Virginia particularly, ABANDONED West Virginians to their fate, although they drained men and material from the state until the end of the war. Who do you think protected the Breadbasket of the Confederacy? It was mostly soldiers from West Virginia. At the Battle of New Market, it was mostly soldiers from West Virginia that saved the day for the Confederacy. At Gettysburg where was the largest Confederate cavalry brigade from? It was Brig-Gen. Albert Jenkins', from WV. I am really surprised at you for bringing up this old Lost Cause meme that is very untrue.

As for pepperoni rolls, those were introduced by Italian miners in the early 20th Century, like the enchiladas introduced into Texas by Mexicans. I grew up in WV and never had a pepperoni roll, though my mother did cook up chicken & dumplings, okra, hominy and a lot of sweet tea. The statewide food chain is actually Tudor's Biscuit World, biscuits & gravy.

And Appalachian culture is basically a southern culture, it really doesn't exist north of WV, as the study I mentioned in my first post showed very conclusively. The second most popular southern stereotype aside from the southern belle is a gun-toting hillbilly. That is not just Appalachian, that is part of the southern image. This is what one sociologist says about "Appalachian culture"-

"A second problem arises when 'cultural content' is described as a reality without any supporting evidence. Anthropological research shows that supposed Appalachian cultural characteristics either donít exist, or are restricted to very small and highly specific locations in the region." Uses and Misuses of Appalachian Culture

As for the other things you cited in your first response to me, that was all anecdotal. While state employees can write what they like on the internet, the governor is still a member of the Southern Governors Association, and the state legislature is still a member of the Southern Legislative Council.

What really surprises me is that someone from Texas, a state whose southern-ness is often questioned, would take this hard nose attitude to the border south.
I'm not going to go through this post point by point, because frankly, I've lost interest in the topic. I'll just say that as a southerner, when I visit WV, I definitely do not pick up any sort of "southern vibe" at all - other than from some of the accents (and some people in Missouri and even southern Ohio speak with a bit of a southern accent as well, so that really doesn't prove much).

It doesn't surprise me that the idea is contested - as it is with just about all border states. Yawn. It is what it is.

By the way, Appalachian culture is found as far north as New York and throughout western PA - and neither of those states is southern in character.

So I really don't agree with the study you posted at all - for that and other reasons. You're not likely to convince me but if you want to keep arguing, knock yourself out - you'll have to go it alone.

I'm not from Texas, by the way. And when I moved here, from the south, it used to tickle me that so many Texans consider themselves southerners - the cultural differences were so pronounced. And many Texans outside of East Texas will adamantly tell you that they are TEXAN - not SOUTHERN, for that matter. Once I understood more about the history of east Texas, I accepted the fact that this region of Texas is a blend of southern and Texican (not the same thing at all) and I felt more at home, but I've never been one to insist to anyone that all of Texas (a very large state) is culturally southern, because, well, it's just not. And neither is WV, though of course as a border state it's got some characteristics of the south, the northeast, and the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,108,697 times
Here is the truth about the "Texas Miracle". It is killing the poor workers. Not a "miracle" in the human rights dept.

The Texas Tribune: Hurting for Work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or