U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:03 PM

513 posts, read 378,488 times

Advertisements

Why have some southern states done so well? Just looking to see an opinion. IMO some of the biggest growth in the US has occurred in the south over the recent years. The states in particular are Texas, North Carolina, Florida, Tennessee & Georgia. At the same time the south has also stuck with bad performance. Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas & Alabama come to mind. So since these are all Republican states, what is the difference? Some Republicans governing differently? Something else? Personally I would like to see Mississippi become the fastest growing state because it would do so much for the country, race relations etc. However I do not see it happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 12:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,129,205 times
To blame the lack of growth on Republican government is nonsensical. Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Alabama are very rural states that aren't doing well because many of them, IIRC, oppose most forms of industrialization/urbanization.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:11 PM

23,714 posts, read 17,668,720 times
FL is always going to be a destination due to the weather and scenery. I don't think the leadership there is as important as in other states.

The places that are doing better are generally urban areas. States with growing urban areas are being carried by those areas. Raleigh and Charlotte have been consistently growing for years, and they are carrying lagging small towns and rural areas. By contrast, South Carolina doesn't have as significant of an urban areas. Its "big cities" (Columbia, Greenville, Charleston) are growing, but they're playing catch up. Places like AL and MS don't have much in the way of any significant urban areas, and are on the bottom of the heap.

I'm from Tennessee, and I think Gov. Haslam has done a pretty good job overall, but most of the growth is surrounding Nashville. Smaller towns and rural areas in Tennessee are hurting badly, the other metros are treading water to slow growth. At least in east Tennessee, inept local governance, high crime, and an uneducated population are holding back growth.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:33 PM

9,896 posts, read 21,176,302 times
Biggest reasons for Southern growth..

- milder winters, lots of beaches and mountains
- low taxes, more businesses locate there
- higher minority population (that's most of pop. growth)
- Many people find Southern culture (respect for traditions, friendliness, relaxed attitude) appealing

The South has problems. There are large gaps in income and health between affluent metros and poor rural areas. Public institutions (schools, parks, universities) are often worse. Most transplants to the South move to affluent areas, so the bad areas are out of sight & out of mind.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:59 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,574,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Biggest reasons for Southern growth..

- milder winters, lots of beaches and mountains
- low taxes, more businesses locate there
- higher minority population (that's most of pop. growth)
- Many people find Southern culture (respect for traditions, friendliness, relaxed attitude) appealing

The South has problems. There are large gaps in income and health between affluent metros and poor rural areas. Public institutions (schools, parks, universities) are often worse. Most transplants to the South move to affluent areas, so the bad areas are out of sight & out of mind.
I have been looking myself and while I agree with the beaches and mountains and lower taxes, I dont agree with the public institutions part. The research triangle area has three excellent universities ( Duke, UNC, NC state) and is always at the top rankings for hospitals health care and quality of life in cities, tons of parks and green space and some of the best charter schools in the nation. Atlanta and the Texas triangle have fantastic universities like Emory,Rice, Georgia tech etc. The income gaps between affluent metro areas and rural areas may be true in the sunbelt and the south but I think that is true all over the country

Old 10-29-2015, 02:01 PM

23,714 posts, read 17,668,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I have been looking myself and while I agree with the beaches and mountains and lower taxes, I dont agree with the public institutions part. The research triangle area has three excellent universities ( Duke, UNC, NC state) and is always highly rated for hospitals health care and quality of life,tons of parks and green space and some of the best charter schools in the nation. Atlanta and the Texas triangle have fantastic universities like Emory,Rice, Georgia tech etc. The income gaps between affluent metro areas and rural areas may be true in the sunbelt and the south but I think that is true all over the country
When you get into rural areas of the upper South (Appalachian especially), it feels like time has been frozen. I worked in southwest VA for a couple years, and worked there again for a bit in 2012. There were many coworkers still on well water and who had no broadband available.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:25 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,574,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
When you get into rural areas of the upper South (Appalachian especially), it feels like time has been frozen. I worked in southwest VA for a couple years, and worked there again for a bit in 2012. There were many coworkers still on well water and who had no broadband available.
I am sure that is true in alot of regions where coal and mining was the dominant economy. That is true in appalachia farther up north as well.
west virginia,pennsylvania,ohio, maybe a few counties in western virginia, anywhere that mining has been wiped out. Jim webb brought up alot of problems in appalachia to the fore in his campaign, Webb is a military veteran, a tough scot- irish guy from the hills.

hopefully he runs a good independent campaign. One of the few politicians I liked in the campaign

Old 10-29-2015, 02:33 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,788,278 times
Quote:
At least in east Tennessee, inept local governance, high crime, and an uneducated population are holding back growth.
This must be true, folks - you read it on the internet!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:07 PM

812 posts, read 464,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
And what's wrong with Well Water?? lol

Actually our well produces high quality great tasting water.

But you forgot Outhouses, lol.

They are getting phased out, but I'm sure there are some Outhouses still in use here and there in the South.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:22 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,288,302 times
FL will grow from foreigners and older ppl escaping the northern winters.

NC will grow due to the scenery, perfect climate (as close as you can get) and jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or