U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:58 PM

904 posts, read 768,396 times

Advertisements

The West Coast is very beautiful but all of the influential business people and artists move there from the east.

Without a steady flow of MA and NY (and internationally) educated people, it would be a backwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 07:04 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,126,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The West Coast is very beautiful but all of the influential business people and artists move there from the east.

Without a steady flow of MA and NY (and internationally) educated people, it would be a backwater.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 PM

150 posts, read 151,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano9729 View Post
i'm italian so i'd like to know: what are the main differences (people, lifestyle...) between these areas?
The East Coast is Maine to Florida- so half of that is "South"

There is more snobbiness on the East Coast- whether you're in Virginia or South Carolina or New England states. West Coast is more Hippie. The South/Southwest is very laid back and friendly.

These are generals.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:29 PM

3,152 posts, read 3,091,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
East Coast - urban near the Atlantic, rural and wooded inland, liberal both in urban and rural areas, very "keep it real" culture, delis, lots of ethnic white as well as Carribbean and Latin American influence. Very cold in the winter and warm to hot in the summer. Lots of pre-1900 houses and buildings.

Midwest - Largely Germanic/Nordic, African American and eastern European. People range from extroverted and religious in the south to reserved and a bit more secular in the north and are generally friendly aside from in Chicago, but maybe a bit narrow minded and judgmental in some ways. Bitterly cold winters and hot humid summers. Lots of casserole dishes. Politically a mixed bag ranging from quite liberal in Minnesota and parts of Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa to very conservative in Indiana, Missouri, Nebraska, the Dakotas and Kansas. Lots of early/mid 20th century homes.

South - Mostly African American and Anglo culture. People are very friendly, though not always in a sincere way. Despite the reputation for racism, not really worse than the rest of the country, just more interaction between black and white people. People tend to be religious but still engage in a lot of "sinful" behavior like premarital sex and drinking. Lots of rural residents. Politically conservative, but with some important liberal areas like New Orleans and Asheville. Homes tend to be older in the colonial cities like Richmond and Savannah and newer in the more western and "New South" areas.

West - Predominantly suburban population with most of the housing stock built between about 1955 and 2005. Mexican influence is very visible outside of Idaho and Montana, and some towns feel more Hispanic than not, such as Nogales and Yakima. People are very polite, but not friendly and it's easy to feel like nobody cares about your well being. Less of a "society" compared to other regions, more individualistic and clique-ish. Cold snowy winters inland, mild wet winters near the coast, and hot dry summers everywhere aside from the beach. Political climate tends to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative.
I haven't lived (but have traveled to in small doses though) in any other region other than Southern California, so I'm not one to argue any accuracy issues, but I thought that was pretty good!

My parents of Finnish ancestry did bring some upper midwest habits though along with them to California though... Pasties, (meat pies) and saunas!

Old 11-05-2015, 10:21 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,872,772 times
Quote:
East Coast - urban near the Atlantic, rural and wooded inland, liberal both in urban and rural areas, very "keep it real" culture, delis, lots of ethnic white as well as Carribbean and Latin American influence. Very cold in the winter and warm to hot in the summer. Lots of pre-1900 houses and buildings.

Midwest - Largely Germanic/Nordic, African American and eastern European. People range from extroverted and religious in the south to reserved and a bit more secular in the north and are generally friendly aside from in Chicago, but maybe a bit narrow minded and judgmental in some ways. Bitterly cold winters and hot humid summers. Lots of casserole dishes. Politically a mixed bag ranging from quite liberal in Minnesota and parts of Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa to very conservative in Indiana, Missouri, Nebraska, the Dakotas and Kansas. Lots of early/mid 20th century homes.

South - Mostly African American and Anglo culture. People are very friendly, though not always in a sincere way. Despite the reputation for racism, not really worse than the rest of the country, just more interaction between black and white people. People tend to be religious but still engage in a lot of "sinful" behavior like premarital sex and drinking. Lots of rural residents. Politically conservative, but with some important liberal areas like New Orleans and Asheville. Homes tend to be older in the colonial cities like Richmond and Savannah and newer in the more western and "New South" areas.

West - Predominantly suburban population with most of the housing stock built between about 1955 and 2005. Mexican influence is very visible outside of Idaho and Montana, and some towns feel more Hispanic than not, such as Nogales and Yakima. People are very polite, but not friendly and it's easy to feel like nobody cares about your well being. Less of a "society" compared to other regions, more individualistic and clique-ish. Cold snowy winters inland, mild wet winters near the coast, and hot dry summers everywhere aside from the beach. Political climate tends to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative.
Very well-written. Your take on the West region are my thoughts exactly, especially the bolded statement. And I'll add that a lot of the people who settled in the West, either decades ago or more recently, were folks who wanted to escape typical society on the East. This could range from trying to get away from tradition & morals, to get away from the rat race, marrying someone of another race, etc. As a result of that, urbanized areas on the West Coast became these politically correct outlets where people are hesitant to get to know you and definitely resistant to deep, meaningful conversations with people outside of family. Offending someone is perhaps the worst crime a person can commit while out West. San Francisco is a prime example of a once glorified refuge for "outcasts" that has now maxed out it's youthful wildchild allure. It has become nothing more than an expensive town that caters mostly to wealthy IT professionals with a rat race of it's own.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:49 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,237,602 times
Quote:

South - Mostly African American and Anglo culture. People are very friendly, though not always in a sincere way.
This is something I keep reading(not always sincere), I think this is just people simply not being used to how things are down here. You are in a new place, with new people, who have different ways about them, so I think people say this based off a little paranoia, based off not knowing people and thinking that some how that people's friendliness has some type of ill will behind it.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:17 AM

5,235 posts, read 3,644,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I haven't lived (but have traveled to in small doses though) in any other region other than Southern California, so I'm not one to argue any accuracy issues, but I thought that was pretty good!

My parents of Finnish ancestry did bring some upper midwest habits though along with them to California though... Pasties, (meat pies) and saunas!
Pasties are very good. This from a Southern man.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:15 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,723,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
This is something I keep reading(not always sincere), I think this is just people simply not being used to how things are down here. You are in a new place, with new people, who have different ways about them, so I think people say this based off a little paranoia, based off not knowing people and thinking that some how that people's friendliness has some type of ill will behind it.
It's not really that, it's more that being friendly in the South is a default so people are friendly even to people they dislike sometimes. I think most of the friendliness down South is sincere.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:36 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,198,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Pasties are very good. This from a Southern man.
Pasties are an English thing if I'm not mistaken...not a ton of English descendants up here. Or do the Finns have their own version of a pastie? They're not particularly popular in Minnesota, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or