U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:41 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I love KC. The weather sucks, but 4 seasons are nice in my opinion.

I have never been to Seattle, but I love what I've seen in pictures, and I like that it has a mild climate. I'm just going to put what I think are pros of KC.

It's growing. Downtown is building up quickly, it has expanded a lot, and even more is going in. The streetcar system is opening up in March or April of 2016. More and more businesses keep opening there.

Cost of living. I've been all over the world.. San Francisco, NYC, London, Prague, etc... I love traveling. The cost of living in KC allows you to live really nice and still have a lot of money left over for traveling if it's your thing. It's easy to fly to the coast, it's easy to drive to Texas, Chicago, Denver, etc. Flights are fairly fast because of it's central location. Your money goes so much further here than many other places.

Art. It is an art city, from First Fridays, to the Nelson, the KCAI expos, Plaza Art fair, etc. Based on reviews on Yelp KC Art Institute ranked as the #1 Best Museum in the US. While not an art museum, The World War 1 museum ranked #5.

I work in IT, and I think there is a lot of new technology in KC, and a lot of startups moving to the city as well. Google Fiber is awesome and has brought about competition, so other places will be rolling out gigabit speeds soon.

The people are great. It's easy to just talk to anyone. No one is surprised when strangers talk to them over things, people make eye contact, smile, wave, etc. There are not a lot of other places I've been in the US where people are like that.

The bad side of KC in my opinion is how spread out it is, and the city is held back by politics between the KS and MO sides of the metro, with the KS side constantly trying to poach companies away from the MO side.

As someone who always wanted to move out of KC as a kid, once I got around to traveling a lot, I realized I really love this city. I'm not going to say I wouldn't move, cuz I may sometime, but there are always sacrifices and you just have to measure what means most to you.
You are forgetting one of the most important things pertaining to COL, overall job growth and income growth, both of which are increasing far faster in Seattle. The "opportunity cost" of living in Seattle for those in specific career fields like IT, software development, engineering, etc. is the price you pay for admission to take advantage of all of the faster growing places of employment. Also, Washington state does not have a state income tax.
Generalizations can be stated about people, but KC is certainly not as reserved and polite as the vast majority of the Midwest as there are unfortunate Texas influences in the culture that stretch up to KC.
The Pacific Northwest, in general, is more introverted overall, but more reserved and polite- similar in that regard to most of northern Europe.
KC is most definitely too spread out, I'm not a fan of driving everywhere all the time just to accomplish basic functions. Seattle metro also has notoriously bad traffic, somewhat compounded by local geography. Long-term outlook for transit growth is far greater in Seattle region due to much faster population growth correlated with increasing density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 05:24 AM

42 posts, read 36,305 times
Dougstark - I asked for comparisons as I have limited experiences living in the US and KC was the place I spent several years. Seattle is a place of interest for my husband. I realize they're chalk and cheese.

Thanks, by the way to all the people who offered up ideas. The job in KC died, though, so I guess we're moving to Seattle anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or