U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:53 AM

42 posts, read 36,348 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both these cities, or spent significant amounts of time in both?? I lived in KC for several years but left four years ago. I visited the Seattle downtown area for a week about ten years ago. I'm currently living overseas (small town, tropical paradise) and my husband has job offers in both Seattle and KC. We all have dual citizenship, so can go wherever we like. We have two small kids, so spare time is always (!) spent doing family-friendly activities.

Has anyone made the move from one city to the other in recent years? Any similarities/differences between people/local culture? I realize they're very different places!

I found the 4-season weather a bit too extreme in KC. We don't care about sports (watching games) at all. Not religious. Found the 'Bush' lovers a bit much in KC. Like nature/walking (not snow). Very interested in fine arts (I did get enough of this in KC). Earnings should not be a problem for lifestyle in either place. For food we enjoy ethnic foods more so than typical American foods. Like to get to know people and be sociable (KC was good for this - most of my friends were from other cities themselves). Need good schooling (I know the areas for this in KC), which I'm sure Seattle has plenty of. Felt rather land-locked in KC as frankly we don't get out of town on weekends, but even if we did, the outer lying towns were not very interesting/scenic. Having said that, mostly we found plenty to do in KC on any given weekend.

Overall I enjoyed living in KC and had a good quality of life, but weather was a downer due to freezing winter, spring was very rainy/windy and summer was stinking hot. Great fall, though! Also access to fly home (Oz) is a bit better/faster from west coast cities.

I should mention that we also spent two years in upstate NY which I hated due to excess snow/cold and unfriendly/pushy locals (sorry if you live there). My husband previously lived in the Puget Sound area and would be very happy there.

Thanks to anyone with any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 01:59 AM

I forgot about crime, but we stayed away from bad areas mostly in greater KC and were fine. Does Seattle have any really scary ghetto areas that you'd definitely need to avoid in the daytime, apart from after dark?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:54 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,870,138 times
One sucks at baseball, the other sucks at football.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:43 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,935 times
It sounds like you'll enjoy Seattle.

Be prepared that KC is one of the friendliest, outgoing cities in the county--Seattle is one of the least. That could be a bit of a culture shock.

Yes, the people in Upstate New York aren't super friendly to strangers, but they're truly kind and willing to help anyone in need. I'm not sure if it's the same in Seattle.

Perhaps Atlanta or Philadelphia would be good options?

Old 11-01-2015, 12:40 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
It sounds like you'll enjoy Seattle.

Be prepared that KC is one of the friendliest, outgoing cities in the county--Seattle is one of the least. That could be a bit of a culture shock.

Yes, the people in Upstate New York aren't super friendly to strangers, but they're truly kind and willing to help anyone in need. I'm not sure if it's the same in Seattle.

Perhaps Atlanta or Philadelphia would be good options?
KC is middle of the road in terms of friendliness.. Seattle is more of a magnet for introverts due to larger tech employment, and is more aligned with northern European countries that tend to be somewhat more introverted than extroverted.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:46 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
KC is middle of the road in terms of friendliness.. Seattle is more of a magnet for introverts due to larger tech employment, and is more aligned with northern European countries that tend to be somewhat more introverted than extroverted.
When I was in KC, everyone I met was excited to meet me, buy me a beer, and ask about my work/life/interests. Everyone seemed really laid-back. In that sense, it was pretty similar to my experience in Oklahoma, but a bit more open-minded. I've found the people in KC to be more "genuine" than the people I met in the South, while maybe not quite as outwardly friendly.

I kind of reject the whole introvert/extrovert dichotomy. On paper, I'm technically an introvert because I need my alone time to refocus and reenergize; however, I'm happiest when I'm around my friends or meeting new people.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:40 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Just speaking to weather - I lived in Seattle for several years and all over Western Washington for about 18 years total. I also lived in Nashville area for 5 years - not KC, but I think I can understand your weather concerns.

Weather-wise, I believe you'd be happier in Seattle. Winter will be icy, with some snow. But, lots of sleet/icy type conditions. There's also a lot of rain and cloudy days. BUT, summer won't be miserable. So, you'd basically gain a season as far as being comfortable outside. There are four seasons, but they're not severe.

And it's so beautiful. There are so many things to do outdoors. Even just riding the ferry round trip is really fun for kids, too. It's not expensive if you don't take the car. As far as easy day trips or weekend trips to somewhere spectacular to look at, you can't beat it.

I haven't lived there for many years, so I don't know if the Seattle freeze stories are true. When I lived there, I was young and found it very easy to make friends.

Way back when I lived there, you had to be careful at night around downtown areas, but someone who lives there now should be able to tell you if there are any truly dangerous areas. I don't recall there being any real ghettos.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:09 PM

I didn't know when I lived in KC whether people were always super friendly, or whether it was also because I was Australian. Americans seem to really like Australians and found me terribly interesting to talk to. Not sure why!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:14 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anninkc View Post
I didn't know when I lived in KC whether people were always super friendly, or whether it was also because I was Australian. Americans seem to really like Australians and found me terribly interesting to talk to. Not sure why!
Oh gosh this is so funny. I think all Americans think of Australians as really friendly and like them. It's because of movies and commercials and actors that we all love, I guess.

When I lived in Nashville, I was in line at Opryland with my husband and daughter and started chatting with a family from Australia. The husband was with the Australian navy and overseeing some ships being built on the Mississippi River, as I recall, around St. Louis. They had a couple of young boys, and I had a daughter about their age. We really hit it off and we invited them to my husband's birthday party the next day. They came and we all had a wonderful time. My husband was a drummer and the basement was full of instruments and drums and the kids all had a great time down there. There were a lot of people and kids. We had fresh oysters and a barbie (barbecue) and drinks and music. Such a lovely time.

The Australian culture is very friendly, so unless you are around seriously stodgy people, you should make friends wherever you go.

In my opinion, the friendliest Americans are Texans. If I was ever forced to leave the west coast, I'd relocate to Texas just because they're the most friendly people I've ever met. I've been to Canada, California, Oregon, Washington, Tennessee and Mexico, and have visited Maine, which I would not call friendly to outsiders.

It's quite possible that Kansas will be friendlier than Seattle. So, you'll have to decide what's more important to you. But, in my opinion, you'll also be able to make friends in Seattle, just because your culture is friendly and open.

Best of luck and happiness to you.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:52 PM

Ha ha that's hilarious. I bet those Aussies had a blast with you. By the way, I love connecting flights through DFW, as those Texans are just soooo much nicer to deal with than anyone at LAX!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or