U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:40 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,465,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Chicago has a pretty clean & safe downtown, especially considering its size (and some of the neighborhoods surrounding it).
Yes CHICAGO is a GREAT city for the Threads Topic. Hitting all the Bells and Whistles many see as America's QUINTESSENTIAL DOWNTOWN. So MY VOTE FOR THE THREAD with ......
  • It's great highly walkable city
  • One of the Cleanest downtowns
  • Amusement Pier along Navy Pier
  • Has as a River Skyscraper Canyon also
  • One of the Cleanest Downtowns in the Nation
  • Downtown great Parks. Millennium and Grant Park
  • Beaches and Harbors Downtown all along its Lakefront
  • Classic older American Skyscraper Architecture and New
  • Financial District with a its key street LaSalle St in the Loop
  • A Theater district over a few blocks they are in....also in the Loop
  • Vibrant Street Shopping N. Michigan Ave Near North and State St in the Loop
  • Large Skyscraper living population and in Lofts to high-end Townhouse developments

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 PM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringOldMike4554 View Post
What major city downtown somehow manages to have most of the top qualities of a great downtown (i.e. liveliness, lots of things to do/see, diversity, etc.) without also having some of the worst qualities (i.e. crime, dirtiness, homelessness, etc.)?
Downtown DC is located in the affluent Northwest quadrant of the city. I've worked there at different times during the course of my career. It is clean and safe, and close to many of the city's attractions.

Some homeless people do hang out there, but that is a minor issue. The vast majority of people are working professionals, business owners and such.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:53 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,465,616 times
Boise doesn't meet your scale requirements, but otherwise I'd put it on the list.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:41 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Indianapolis and Kansas City.

Both have tons to offer tourists and locals alike. Both are beautiful and vibrant. Neither are dirty or have problems with safety or homelessness.
This kind of thing doesn't make for good press.

IMPD identifies homicide victim in downtown Indianapolis - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Old 11-04-2015, 07:17 PM

4,943 posts, read 7,598,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
SD's downtown is small and really some what suburban even in the core. It should not even be considered as a major city.
San Diego's downtown is quite compact but it absolutely feels like a vibrant and dense urban core within that compact area, I find it actually compares favorably to some areas of downtown L.A. (areas actually away from downtown L.A. possessing its most happening spots). The homeless population here, while large, is not as firmly intrenched as skid row is in L.A., which greatly affects the quality of life for the immediate surrounding neighborhoods there. I just pass through on foot those few scattered blocks around East Village where the homeless tend to congregate here with no problems at all. With generally clean air, doable traffic, very low crime, urban canyons along with downtown baseball, world class theater, parks, beaches and museums, along with vibrant neighborhoods and frequent festivals I'd say we rate pretty high for the OPs criteria.

There are 400k people in San Diego living in areas with greater than 8000PPSM. (I don't even live downtown and my neighborhood is over 12,000PPSM) As comparison other cities mentioned, here; Kansas City: 13,300/8000PPSM; Indianapolis: 0/8000PPSM (37k/7000PPSM), (measured within zip codes) and I find both of those cities certainly have areas that feel like a real downtown in a good sized city.

So I'd say your judgment of San Diego's core being suburban doesn't comport with the facts.

Last edited by T. Damon; 11-04-2015 at 08:06 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Yes CHICAGO is a GREAT city for the Threads Topic. Hitting all the Bells and Whistles many see as America's QUINTESSENTIAL DOWNTOWN. So MY VOTE FOR THE THREAD with ......
  • It's great highly walkable city
  • One of the Cleanest downtowns
  • Amusement Pier along Navy Pier
  • Has as a River Skyscraper Canyon also
  • One of the Cleanest Downtowns in the Nation
  • Downtown great Parks. Millennium and Grant Park
  • Beaches and Harbors Downtown all along its Lakefront
  • Classic older American Skyscraper Architecture and New
  • Financial District with a its key street LaSalle St in the Loop
  • A Theater district over a few blocks they are in....also in the Loop
  • Vibrant Street Shopping N. Michigan Ave Near North and State St in the Loop
  • Large Skyscraper living population and in Lofts to high-end Townhouse developments
I'd agree.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:42 PM

^^^
Although you have to stay in the one third of that (very large) city that is demonstrably safe.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,465,557 times
It's more 2/3 of the city without the Major Gang violence that drastically increases the city's crime rates. Your 1/3 good and 2/3's as if bad all high crime is the misconception ALL the Southside is Bad... not the case. All around Midway airport are Vibrant neighborhoods, the Southwest side and neighborhoods Eastern.

Not everyone can afford to live in the Most sought after areas or fully gentrified ones. But that does not mean other areas are Gang infested as the notorious Southside areas. I also would say Latino neighborhoods being cheaper generally are not the high crime Gang infested areas either.

The cities Bungalow belt alone is 1/3 of the city. Is intact and remained looking good no matter what races inhabit it. Petty crime reaches all corners of Big American cities. Especially if there are areas of poverty in their cities.

San Diego being in Part a Retirement city and more Affluent then not.... will have as .....expected lower crime and worst of it also. LA gets the worst rap in Cali.

SD did not experience the RADICAL RACIAL CHANGE OF NORTHERN CITIES beginning in the 50s and got RADICAL with DRASTIC WHITE FLIGHT in the 60s.

Statistics show Chicago if WHITE... is also in numbers of crimes a VERY SAFE CITY. It's not SPINNING NUMBERS EITHER..... BUT THIS GANG ON GANG VIOLENCE ON THEIR TURFS IS SAD....

Homicide victims (so far) for 2015

Black: 331
Hispanic: 71
White (non Hispanic): 16
Other: 10

Total: 428

The Non-Hispanic White pop in Chicago is 31-33%....So 31-33% for a City of 2.72 million (about 870,400 people) and only 16 murder victims.... When White Latinos factored in Chicago is classified 43% White.

In Chicago according to Wikipedia....76% Of victims (77.4% of offenders were African-American), 18.3% were Hispanic (17.3% of offenders), and 5.6% were white (5.3% of offenders).

The black murder victimization rate was approximately 34 per 100,000; the Hispanic rate was 11 per 100,000, and the white rate 3 per 100,000
  • Victims of gang-related murders: 70% African-American , 26% Hispanic, 3% White; 93% male.
  • Offenders in gang-related murders: 76% African American, 20% Hispanic, 3% white; 99% male.
  • Victims of domestic-related murders: 79% African American, 10% Hispanic, 11% white.
  • Victims of armed robbery—related murders: 68% African American, 13% Hispanic, 19% white, 89% male.
  • Offenders in armed robbery—related murders: 87% African American, 9% Hispanic, 4% white; 93% male.
I think it is not hard to note..... If White in Chicago. You are MUCH SAFER then just overall statistics.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:09 PM

3,063 posts, read 1,806,637 times
It's very hard to say because all downtowns have flaws.

NY
Chi
New Orleans
Pittsburgh

The rest are weeded out due to very high number of homeless people like SF, LA, Seattle, Portland and etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or