U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:07 PM

15 posts, read 26,495 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

Here's my situation: 26, female, I grew up in San Diego, but have been living in NYC since college for grad school/work. I'm at the point in my career where my company is letting me work remotely, and I'm desperate to get out of the city. As much as I love the culture/food/history in NYC, it's incredibly expensive, I prefer being around nature, and the dating is horrible (well, the dating is amazing, but finding someone who wants to settle down...not so much).

I can basically move anywhere in the country. I don't want to go back to San Diego, I never liked it there and am just not into the whole surf culture. I have family and friends in the South, so was considering somewhere like CLT or Nashville. I LOVE Charleston and Savannah, but they are probably too small for this stage of my life. Also open to Texas, SF, Chicago...basically anywhere in the US other than NYC or SoCal.

My criteria:
Big enough that meeting people won't be a problem
Good dating, where people actually want to settle down and have a family
I'm passed the going out and partying all night stage, I'm more interested in staying in and cooking, going to a restaurant, a movie, a jazz club, just something mellow, so I don't want a party-centric city
Somewhere down to earth with family values, good access to nature, restaurants/shopping is great but not necessary

Any advice would be so appreciated, thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 09:38 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,880,911 times
You are certainly not old, but just keep in mind that if you head to a family-centric city, you will likely find that most desirable men your age are already married or in a relationship.

Also, your desire to live in a city with access to nature AND ease of meeting new people makes it harder. If we're talking cities like Denver, Seattle, SF, etc. with their awesome recreation, then you will be sorely disappointed with the social scenes. The men in these towns are also comparatively passive, which makes it worse. But if you just mean nature as in parks, forests, camping...well, you can do that almost anywhere. Even outside Washington, DC and Chicago, you'll find plenty of nature.

If I had to give you my educated and personally experienced suggestion, I would say Chicago or DC is what you want.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,531,188 times
I would second Chicago, it has a great lakefront, still has some Midwestern values left. Another option might be Sacramento. Sac County has 1.5 million people now.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:41 PM

By nature I just more mean parks/trees/wide open spaces/not skyscrapers all around me (feeling a little claustrophobic after living in NYC). Was kind of unsure about Chicago, I've heard it's a pretty huge party scene and the women outnumber the men so the dating kind of sucks, but I haven't spent much time there other than a weekend so I won't conclude definitively on that. My first choice was definitely somewhere down South, though

Old 11-01-2015, 10:49 PM

30,102 posts, read 27,634,548 times
I'd go with Charlotte or Nashville.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:06 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,897,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairea86 View Post
Hi guys!

Here's my situation: 26, female, I grew up in San Diego, but have been living in NYC since college for grad school/work. I'm at the point in my career where my company is letting me work remotely, and I'm desperate to get out of the city. As much as I love the culture/food/history in NYC, it's incredibly expensive, I prefer being around nature, and the dating is horrible (well, the dating is amazing, but finding someone who wants to settle down...not so much).

I can basically move anywhere in the country. I don't want to go back to San Diego, I never liked it there and am just not into the whole surf culture. I have family and friends in the South, so was considering somewhere like CLT or Nashville. I LOVE Charleston and Savannah, but they are probably too small for this stage of my life. Also open to Texas, SF, Chicago...basically anywhere in the US other than NYC or SoCal.

My criteria:
Big enough that meeting people won't be a problem
Good dating, where people actually want to settle down and have a family
I'm passed the going out and partying all night stage, I'm more interested in staying in and cooking, going to a restaurant, a movie, a jazz club, just something mellow, so I don't want a party-centric city
Somewhere down to earth with family values, good access to nature, restaurants/shopping is great but not necessary

Any advice would be so appreciated, thanks !
Why not Houston? That seems to be up your alley, though I can understand also why you would consider Charlotte and Nashville. With that list, the only downside is that females outnumber males (but, the ratio isn't quite as skewed as NYC!).

Beyond that detail, though, you should be fine.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:40 AM

998 posts, read 891,500 times
Check out Richmond

Old 11-02-2015, 05:36 AM

57,072 posts, read 81,489,054 times
Perhaps Raleigh could be another area to look into.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:05 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,134,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Check out Richmond
Or possibly Hampton Roads. It's a bit of a sausage fest in HR, which sucks for dudes, but gives women plenty of choices.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:08 AM

Houston was on my list, just not at the top because of the weather -I don't mind humidity but I definitely like having seasons.

Thought about Richmond/Raleigh but was concerned they were too small, especially given the above comment that everyone in the south is married or coupled up by my age, I figured a larger city like clt or Nashville would be better, but I may be too old even for those
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or