U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:14 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,222,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Here in Phoenix its wildfires that spook me. Luckily none get overly close. Nothing worse than seeing smoke billowing on the horizon and homes being evacuated. All it takes is a big wind storm to take hold and this place will go up like tinder.

Back in IL, it was tornadoes that freaked me out. I never saw one, but there were watches each year, it never failed. When the sirens would go off at night, it was unnerving. Daylight warnings never bothered me, but night was a different story.
Tornado sirens in general, depending on how they sound, can be unnerving. Chicago's sound like something out of Silent Hill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 04:27 PM

679 posts, read 462,982 times
No real scarey natural disasters in Southern New England .. we may get brushed by a weakened hurricane once every 10 yrs, but its ususaly only places right on the water that get affected. We get occasional blizzards, but I wouldnt call them a natural disaster. I think theyre kinda fun

Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,343,100 times
In NYC its blizzards mainly, and the occassional hurricane. You get warning for both though. Unlike an earthquake in Cali. Rarely we've had a tornado.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:06 AM

22,381 posts, read 27,564,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Southern California:

Tsunamis - This one really used to scare me as a kid, but I know now that there is ample warning time, and great tsunami evacuation routes where I live.
Tsunamis are not much of a threat to Southern California. Northern California is in much more of a danger zone. The Tsunami caused by the 9.2 magnitude 1964 Alaska earthquake caused a lot of damage in and around Crescent City, California.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:16 AM

7,247 posts, read 4,667,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
The people who should fear earthquakes who probably don't are residents of St. Louis. They sit on top of one of the largest faults in the US, and their infrastructure isn't built to withstand massive earthquakes. It's a ticking time bomb.
I'm 30 miles to the East, and even here, the New Madrid is the only natural disaster I fear. I don't even want to think about what happens here in Central Kentucky if that thing lets loose.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 AM

3,952 posts, read 3,485,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Tornado sirens in general, depending on how they sound, can be unnerving. Chicago's sound like something out of Silent Hill.

Tornado sirens/warning sirens in general are pretty cool. There's whole online communities devoted to them. I think Memphis/Shelby county has the best collection of rare sirens still operating in the country. They test them every Wednesday it's creepy/cool as hell to be there on test day.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:40 AM

1,593 posts, read 831,191 times
In New England hurricanes even though they don't compare to the Carolina's or Florida

Old 11-04-2015, 12:18 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,115 times
Here in the Twin Cities, there is a very slight threat of tornadoes, but it's nothing in comparison to the southern Midwest and Southern Great Plains (or even parts of the Deep South, which seems to get deadly tornadoes routinely).

Along the rivers there's also some flood risk, but most homes aren't built in floodplains, anyway. Only in the most epic, severe of floods are homeowners affected.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:48 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,222,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Tornado sirens/warning sirens in general are pretty cool. There's whole online communities devoted to them. I think Memphis/Shelby county has the best collection of rare sirens still operating in the country. They test them every Wednesday it's creepy/cool as hell to be there on test day.
I guess I just grew up with ones that sound like an air raid was about to happen, rather than the Chicago ones that sound like zombies are on their way.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:01 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
I have absolutely no fear of natural disssters. I travel the world without bothering myself with any considerations of such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.