U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 01:05 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,513,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Here in the Twin Cities, there is a very slight threat of tornadoes, but it's nothing in comparison to the southern Midwest and Southern Great Plains (or even parts of the Deep South, which seems to get deadly tornadoes routinely).
I was under the impression that Minneapolis-St. Paul is very tornado-prone.

I only lived there for three years, but I expereinced two tornados.

The first was during the summer of '04. One afternoon, I was coming back from work at the Mall of America to my crappy studio apartment on Lyndale and 31st. I was walking down Lake Street and the sirens went off. It got really windy, and I saw the funnel cloud form and dance in the sky before touching down near Bryant and 28th. That one was actually very small, just an F0 or F1; there was no damange.

The next year, I was taking a night class at Metro State's Midway Campus and a tornado touched down near there. I heard that one, and it was actually kind scarry, but exciting too. Damage was minimal.

Then I think the next year, a Luthernan Church in downtown Minneapolis was hit by a tornado, causing some religious conservatives to interpret the event as a message from God warning againt gay marriage.

Then a couple years later, wasn't there a tornado flatten a few blocks in North Minneapolis? That one was actually pretty bad.

I can't really think of another major city in the country that has had that many tornados in such a short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Tsunamis are not much of a threat to Southern California. Northern California is in much more of a danger zone. The Tsunami caused by the 9.2 magnitude 1964 Alaska earthquake caused a lot of damage in and around Crescent City, California.
Wouldn't a major earthquake in Hawaii affect a tsunami in So Cal?

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-04-2015 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 11 days ago)

2,042 posts, read 1,994,420 times
In Boston, the blizzards can be bad.

However, I feel like its been 100+ years since blizzards were actually life-threatening and economy-crippling enough to be considered a natural disaster (with the blizzard of '78 maybe being an exception).

Old 11-04-2015, 01:49 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,494,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
In Boston, the blizzards can be bad.

However, I feel like its been 100+ years since blizzards were actually life-threatening and economy-crippling enough to be considered a natural disaster (with the blizzard of '78 maybe being an exception).
I do think blizzards aren't as dangerous as they once were. However things like Buffalo's 7ft snow event last year can be as damaging and dangerous as anything. Although that in of itself is a rarity.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:55 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,420,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Wouldn't a major earthquake in Hawaii affect a tsunami in So Cal?
I doubt it, earthquakes in Hawaii aren't caused by fault lines but rather volcanic activity. Since Hawaii isn't located in a subduction zone I don't think earthquakes there can cause a tsunami.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:18 PM

6,504 posts, read 4,082,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I doubt it, earthquakes in Hawaii aren't caused by fault lines but rather volcanic activity. Since Hawaii isn't located in a subduction zone I don't think earthquakes there can cause a tsunami.
And even if it did, Hawaii is so far away that an earthquake there couldn't cause a tsunami that would do serious damage to CA. You might get a surge of a few inches, but not enough to wash anything away.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:18 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,196,080 times
Quote:
I was under the impression that Minneapolis-St. Paul is very tornado-prone.
Well, I've lived here my entire life and have not once seen a tornado or a funnel cloud, nor do I even know anyone who was affected by a tornado. The worst storm damage I've ever seen was after a derecho.

Quote:
Wasn't there a tornado flatten a few blocks in North Minneapolis? That one was actually pretty bad.

I can't really think of another major city in the country that has had that many tornados in such a short time.
Yes, there was a tornado that tore through North Minneapolis back in May of 2011, which wiped the mature trees from its path and damaged some roofs, but didn't destroy anything. You can actually see the treeless scar it left in satellite imagery. The only other notable tornado to strike Minneapolis and St. Paul city limits was in 1904, which caused some minor damage to buildings in both downtowns, and caused significant damage to the High Bridge in St. Paul.

However, about 98% of the tornadoes that strike the region are F0s or F1s, which rarely cause significant damage. It's places farther south in the classic "Tornado Alley" that really have to worry about 100% annihilation. We basically never see the kind of killer tornadoes that completely erase entire towns or large swaths of a metro area like you see in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and some Deep South states.

I think the worst tornado to strike Minnesota in my lifetime was the Comfrey-St. Peter tornado in March of 1998. That one was an F4 and killed 2 people.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:24 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,849,305 times
Minneapolis gets some crazy thunder storms, occasional flooding, and large hail, in addition to a greater tornado threat than most cities.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:53 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,196,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Minneapolis gets some crazy thunder storms, occasional flooding, and large hail, in addition to a greater tornado threat than most cities.
Thunderstorms aren't a natural disaster, either is hail.

And yes, like I've already said, there is a tornado threat, but it's no greater than most of the eastern half of the country.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:21 PM

912 posts, read 858,379 times
NJ, the occasional hurricane, but nothing really. I live inland so the hurricanes aren't usually bad either.

I was reading some of the articles about more sinkholes in Florida...now those would scare the hell out of me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.