U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2015, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,775 posts, read 2,509,702 times
Reputation: 2935

Advertisements

These are my thoughts on how these "boarder cities" blend regional identities. I'm pretty well familiar with Louisville and Indy, but less so with St. Louis and Cincinnati.

How well do you agree with these observations?

Louisville is a definitively Southern city with minimal Midwestern influence in terms of culture and minimal Mid-Atlantic influences on architecture (Georgian-style mansions reminiscent of Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia).

St. Louis is definitively a Midwestern city with minimal Southern influence in terms of culture and moderate East Coast influence in terms of architecture.

Indianapolis is definitively a Midwestern city with no East Coast or Southern influence in terms of architecture, but there is some Southern influence in terms of culture.

Cincinnati feels entirely East Coast in terms of architecture. In terms of culture, Cincinnati feels Midwestern with minimal Southern influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2015, 04:17 PM
 
29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Reputation: 18426
I think Richmond or San Antonio or Austin would have been better options than Indianapolis here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2015, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,775 posts, read 2,509,702 times
Reputation: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think Richmond or San Antonio or Austin would have been better options than Indianapolis here.
I chose these cities since they border the South and the Midwest, so they'd be easier to compare.

Richmond is interesting, though, because it feels so Southern but yet its core is more dense than what I've found in many Southern cities.

I've never been to San Antonio, but I'd love to hear about all the Texas cities blend Southern, Midwestern, and Western elements: http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ies-texas.html

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-04-2015 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2015, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Florida
2,233 posts, read 1,510,531 times
Reputation: 1861
I have personally asked people from both Birmingham and as recently two weeks ago Charleston, SC and they did not consider Louisville Southern. At the time I have met people dome St. Louis and Cinncinatti who put Louisville in the same family of cities as their own.

There is more Midwest to Louisville than the OP is implying. Lots of industry, lots of 19th century Germans, Catholics, Lutherans.

Louisville and its diverse, industrial people pushed kentucky towards the union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2015, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,934 posts, read 1,698,330 times
Reputation: 1742
What about Washington, D.C./NOVA area? Many claim it is a southern city(mainly just mid atlantic people who have a rivalry with DC and like to talk down about it). Technically they are located in the south, but I feel that they both have an overwhelmingly east coast feel(except for the black people there who have a heavy southern dialect/way of life/appearance in my opinion).

Also Oklahoma City- not sure if that's even really considered a "southern city" or Midwest city, I haven't been there so I can't really speak on it.

Last edited by i'm not a cookie; 11-04-2015 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2015, 05:26 PM
 
29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Reputation: 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I chose these cities since they border the South and the Midwest, so they'd be easier to compare.
Ahhh, I see. OKC or Tulsa might have been options as well, and even Charleston, WV to an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I have personally asked people from both Birmingham and as recently two weeks ago Charleston, SC and they did not consider Louisville Southern.
They were more than likely Deep South purists; there are people from Alabama who don't even consider NC to be Southern.

Did any of those people ever visit Louisville at some point?

From what I've read and seen, most Louisvillians consider themselves Southern but also readily acknowledge their Midwestern influences.

Quote:
At the time I have met people dome St. Louis and Cinncinatti who put Louisville in the same family of cities as their own.

There is more Midwest to Louisville than the OP is implying. Lots of industry, lots of 19th century Germans, Catholics, Lutherans.

Louisville and its diverse, industrial people pushed kentucky towards the union.
A good bit of Kentucky is Appalachia which, as a whole, was more unsympathetic to the cause of the Confederacy in all Southern states because they didn't have much in the way of a slave-based agrarian economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2015, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
These are my thoughts on how these "boarder cities" blend regional identities. I'm pretty well familiar with Louisville and Indy, but less so with St. Louis and Cincinnati.

How well do you agree with these observations?

Louisville is a definitively Southern city with minimal Midwestern influence in terms of culture and minimal Mid-Atlantic influences on architecture (Georgian-style mansions reminiscent of Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia).

St. Louis is definitively a Midwestern city with minimal Southern influence in terms of culture and moderate East Coast influence in terms of architecture.

Indianapolis is definitively a Midwestern city with no East Coast or Southern influence in terms of architecture, but there is some Southern influence in terms of culture.

Cincinnati feels entirely East Coast in terms of architecture. In terms of culture, Cincinnati feels Midwestern with minimal Southern influence.
What are the southern culture influences in Indy and Cincy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2015, 02:36 PM
 
2,200 posts, read 2,317,272 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Cincinnati feels entirely East Coast in terms of architecture. In terms of culture, Cincinnati feels Midwestern with minimal Southern influence.
Cincinnati does not feel East Coast at all to me, and most certainly not in terms of architecture. Not even in its oldest, densest parts, which is a pretty small portion geographically and in terms of population of the city. It feels exactly like what it is, an old midwestern river city of some past prominence. But I don't know a soul who would confuse it for Boston, Providence, New York, Philly, DC or even Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2015, 04:40 PM
 
6,552 posts, read 13,746,127 times
Reputation: 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I have personally asked people from both Birmingham and as recently two weeks ago Charleston, SC and they did not consider Louisville Southern. At the time I have met people dome St. Louis and Cinncinatti who put Louisville in the same family of cities as their own.

There is more Midwest to Louisville than the OP is implying. Lots of industry, lots of 19th century Germans, Catholics, Lutherans.

Louisville and its diverse, industrial people pushed kentucky towards the union.
Spot on. A few people with accents who move to an area from rural surroundings or rural KY do NOT make an area fully southern. Louisville is a hybrid. If it wasn't a hybrid, no one would argue it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2015, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Reputation: 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Cincinnati does not feel East Coast at all to me, and most certainly not in terms of architecture. Not even in its oldest, densest parts, which is a pretty small portion geographically and in terms of population of the city. It feels exactly like what it is, an old midwestern river city of some past prominence. But I don't know a soul who would confuse it for Boston, Providence, New York, Philly, DC or even Baltimore.
Portions of Over-The-Rhine (which is really, besides a few pockets here and there, the major portion of late 19th century Cincinnati which survived urban renewal) look a lot like Philly or Baltimore. Very few true rowhouses though - the attached buildings are mostly tenaments, while the brick single-family houses, even though they have zero setback, tend to not be built flush to their neighbors.

Overall, I think it's more similar architecturally to Saint Louis than any other city, but after that I'd say the similarity is strongest architecturally to Mid-Atlantic cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top