U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 04:28 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,511,505 times

Advertisements

How do the cities in Texas and Oklahoma compare and contrast in how they blend Southern, Midwestern, and Western influences in terms of architecture, culture, and industry?

I'm pretty familiar with OKC and I've been to Houston once, but I'm not familiar with this region as a whole to really comment.

To me, in terms of architecture, OKC feels like a Western city, like a smaller Denver or like Tucson minus the Spanish/Mexican influence. In terms of culture, OKC doesn't seem Western at all. Rather, it's most reminiscent of lower-Midwestern cities like Kansas City or Indianapolis, but notably more conservative. However, there's a sort of "cowboy" aesthetic that you don't really see in the Lower Midwest. The people in OKC are friendly like Southerners, but they tend to be more laidback.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-04-2015 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:17 PM

44,713 posts, read 36,145,910 times
I really like the people of OKC. Personally I don't care for the weather or terrain of OK, but I have got to hand it to the people - they are super friendly.

I'm not very familiar with the western half of Texas - I mean, I've been through there but apparently I wasn't paying that much attention. But I"m familiar with Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. To me, none of them seem to be very comparable to OKC - EXCEPT for the people. To me, the friendly approachable attitude of OKC folks is similar to what you'd find in FW, SA and even Houston. Not so much Austin or Dallas - both fine cities but they're full of transplants from everywhere else so they've sort of lost their uniquely Texan feel.

Houston is the wild card -it's truly an international sort of city, with lots of immigrants from all over the world, but there's just something about Houston that keeps that whole cowboy/oilfield guy/manly man thing going strong. It's also the most "southern" of the big Texas cities and that may make it have a bit of the same vibe you're picking up in OKC because I totally agree with you - the people of OKC seem very southern to me.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:40 PM

80 posts, read 80,480 times
I'm from OKC and I consider myself a Southerner! Glad to hear y'all found some friendly people this way!

Old 11-04-2015, 11:57 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,107,118 times
Oklahoma City is predominantly a culturally Southern city, but its different in that it has considerably less African-American culture and more Hispanic culture than is typical in a true Southern city like Memphis or Birmingham. Architecturally and terrain wise its more western. It feels like a larger Amarillo or Lubbock rather than a smaller Kansas City or Indianapolis and is very different from the South. Tulsa has a stronger Southern feel with a touch of the Midwest that is missing in OKC. When it comes to Oklahoma City, how Southern it feels depends on where you are comparing it to. Compared to anywhere in the Midwest, Northeast, or west coast, it will seem pretty Southern. Compared to the Deep South, it won't feel as much.

Houston is the most Southern of the Texas cities. It has a strong African-American culture, Southern architecture, and magnolia trees, but due to its size and diversity it is much more cosmopolitan.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:15 AM

6,848 posts, read 6,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I really like the people of OKC. Personally I don't care for the weather or terrain of OK,
I'm always bemused that Texans like to dog the "terrain" of Oklahoma. What exactly do you not like about the "terrain" of Oklahoma? I remember a thread where you refused to say that the "terrain" around Odessa was ugly. So I'd appreciate it if you would expound upon your dislike for Oklahoma's "terrain".

As to the OP. It was once said to me that if DFW and Wichita, KS had a baby, it would be Oklahoma City. OKC has elements of both of those towns more so than Lubbock or Amarillo or any other Texas town.

OKC isn't nearly as "southern" historically as Texas. When it was founded there were as many or more northerners in the land run than there were southerners who settled in OKC.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:52 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I really like the people of OKC. Personally I don't care for the weather or terrain of OK, but I have got to hand it to the people - they are super friendly.

I'm not very familiar with the western half of Texas - I mean, I've been through there but apparently I wasn't paying that much attention. But I"m familiar with Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. To me, none of them seem to be very comparable to OKC - EXCEPT for the people. To me, the friendly approachable attitude of OKC folks is similar to what you'd find in FW, SA and even Houston. Not so much Austin or Dallas - both fine cities but they're full of transplants from everywhere else so they've sort of lost their uniquely Texan feel.

Houston is the wild card -it's truly an international sort of city, with lots of immigrants from all over the world, but there's just something about Houston that keeps that whole cowboy/oilfield guy/manly man thing going strong. It's also the most "southern" of the big Texas cities and that may make it have a bit of the same vibe you're picking up in OKC because I totally agree with you - the people of OKC seem very southern to me.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:07 PM

44,713 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I'm always bemused that Texans like to dog the "terrain" of Oklahoma. What exactly do you not like about the "terrain" of Oklahoma? I remember a thread where you refused to say that the "terrain" around Odessa was ugly. So I'd appreciate it if you would expound upon your dislike for Oklahoma's "terrain".

As to the OP. It was once said to me that if DFW and Wichita, KS had a baby, it would be Oklahoma City. OKC has elements of both of those towns more so than Lubbock or Amarillo or any other Texas town.

OKC isn't nearly as "southern" historically as Texas. When it was founded there were as many or more northerners in the land run than there were southerners who settled in OKC.
You must be confusing me with someone else. I can't remember the last time I was in Odessa - if ever - and have no idea what the terrain looks like there. I don't recall ever even discussing Odessa on this forum or anytime in my real life, for that matter.

I don't like the terrain of most of Oklahoma. It's not my intention to dog on Oklahoma - I'm sure that many people DO like it and probably wouldn't like NE Texas - it's just a personal preference of mine. I've heard that the area around Tulsa is greener and has more trees and if so, I'd probably like that better.

I like the people of OK however - with perhaps one or two exceptions. Where did you say you live again?

Old 11-06-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oklahoma City is predominantly a culturally Southern city, but its different in that it has considerably less African-American culture and more Hispanic culture than is typical in a true Southern city like Memphis or Birmingham. Architecturally and terrain wise its more western. It feels like a larger Amarillo or Lubbock rather than a smaller Kansas City or Indianapolis and is very different from the South. Tulsa has a stronger Southern feel with a touch of the Midwest that is missing in OKC. When it comes to Oklahoma City, how Southern it feels depends on where you are comparing it to. Compared to anywhere in the Midwest, Northeast, or west coast, it will seem pretty Southern. Compared to the Deep South, it won't feel as much.

Houston is the most Southern of the Texas cities. It has a strong African-American culture, Southern architecture, and magnolia trees, but due to its size and diversity it is much more cosmopolitan.
^^^
This is very accurate.

Oklahoma is a perfect mixture of the South and Southwest. It is where the South meets the West and so a good way to think about it is in the sense of SOUTHwest or Western South like TexasReb calls it (along with Texas and western Arkansas) for SouthWest culture = Southern but different from the Deep South which is SouthEast culture. Many Okies refer to Oklahoma as the Southern Plains, seeking to draw a distinction between the Plains of Kansas and states above. Although much of Oklahoma falls in the Cross Timbers region, not the Plains, ironically.

The touches of the Midwest are very faint...perhaps up around the Kansas line, but even then many in northern Oklahoma speak with a pretty strong twang. I was just in Osage County last week (northern Oklahoma) and the people talked fluent Okie...gotta have some twang. Some will point out the Midwestern oil barons that came from the East to settle Tulsa a hundred years ago, but I don't think that influence is very strong any more.

If there is a city that is most like Oklahoma City it would be Fort Worth for sure. Whatever people consider the region/culture of Fort Worth, that's what OKC is. Fort Worth has a bit more character but the cities are very similar in cultural feel and the way people treat/deal with one another. Dallas is just too cosmopolitan/larger population base to be compared to OKC. Oklahoma City does feel more Redneck/Cowboy than many Southern cities, hence the Old Southwest influence from ranching, stockyards, etc. That's why many see the correlation between OKC and a Texas town like Amarillo. I do agree that Tulsa "feels" more Southern....probably because it is aesthetically greener and more lush like much of the South. Both OKC and Tulsa are Southern cities (like Texas cities in North/Central/West Texas), but for someone from the Deep South (Bama, Georgia for example) it's Southern-lite.

Also, I do agree that Houston is the most Southern major Texas city in comparison to other states in the West South Central (Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas) with exception of Baton Rouge and Shreveport. East Texas, in general, is very close to a Deep South feel.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 11-06-2015 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studying Okie View Post
I'm from OKC and I consider myself a Southerner! Glad to hear y'all found some friendly people this way!
Yes Sir!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or