U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,262,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsloWolf View Post
It's interesting how San Francisco always ranks high on these lists but is not known for crime.
This is true. If someone visits NYC, they often ask (on C-D, or people I have met in life) "will it be safe".

I don't think I've ever in my life heard someone ask if SF is safe to visit. Shows that there's a massive gap between reputation and reality.

I mean, NYC has the same crime rate as Scottsdale. If I told most people that, they would laugh in my face, and call me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:00 AM

56,706 posts, read 81,017,273 times
After looking at that list again, a couple of other surprises are Newark NJ being lower than I thought and Glendale AZ being higher than I thought it would be.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:02 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,126,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
So the safest city is Jersey City, and the safest big city is NYC.

All the cities above Jersey City are just sprawly suburbs that happen to be in states that have weak annexation laws.
Boise isn't a city?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:09 AM

12,443 posts, read 11,944,656 times
Quote:
So the safest city is Jersey City, and the safest big city is NYC.

All the cities above Jersey City are just sprawly suburbs that happen to be in states that have weak annexation laws.
Boise has every right to be called a "real city" insofar as it has a genuine CBD which looks urban. Most of it's land area is suburban, but that's true of virtually every city in the South or West which isn't New Orleans or San Francisco.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 AM

139 posts, read 160,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where did you get this from? A lot of big suburban cities of bigger cities on the list.
I got my info from NeighborhoodScout, and these cities are the top 100 largest cities by population ranked in order of total crime index.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:12 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,262,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Boise isn't a city?
I guess it's a city, but it would be silly to compare Boise to places like NYC and SF, IMO.

It's a rural part of the U.S., almost entirely white, no ghettos, heavily Mormon, low inequality, etc. You can compare anything to anything, but I wouldn't compare Boise to big cities in terms of crime stats. I would compare it to suburbs like Scottsdale. It's only on the list because it annexed suburban areas anyways.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:16 AM

139 posts, read 160,453 times
Quote:
I guess it's a city, but it would be silly to compare Boise to places like NYC and SF, IMO.

It's a rural part of the U.S., almost entirely white, no ghettos, heavily Mormon, low inequality, etc. You can compare anything to anything, but I wouldn't compare Boise to big cities in terms of crime stats. I would compare it to suburbs like Scottsdale. It's only on the list because it annexed suburban areas anyways.
Correct, Boise is in the top 100 largest US cities by population, ranking at 99. That is why it is on this list.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:47 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,977,569 times
Quote:

Boise is actually a respectable core city of 215,000 and fast growing, and the hub of a metro of 665,000, which makes it the third largest city in the Pacific Northwest. I think Boise definitely qualifies as a city/metro, and can be compared to other cities/metros in this country of comparable population.

And it's not entirely white, as there is a visible Hispanic minority of nearly 10% throughout the metro. Not sure if it has ghettos or not, but I'm sure there are probably some lower-income/shady hoods of white/brown people. Also can't find statistics on the Mormonism practices up there, but I doubt we're talking Salt Lake City here. The Pac NW is well known for high levels of agnosticism/atheism, and I wouldn't be surprised if Boise follows suit here, in addition to having practicing Catholics.

Bottom line, yea Boise, ID isn't NYC or SF or even SLC, but it's still a respectable size that anchors a more isolated region of this country. By your logic, the only true cities worth discussing on this forum are the Top 15/25, and I'm not sure I agree with that. If Boise was gang-banging like Little Rock is/was, then would it be worthy of discussion? What if it was more cosmopolitan (despite the fact several top metros aren't terribly diverse)?

Old 11-05-2015, 01:05 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
I got my info from NeighborhoodScout, and these cities are the top 100 largest cities by population ranked in order of total crime index.
I thought so. Their crime stats are a joke in my opinion with many cities that are considered generally quite safe "among the most dangerous" in the country. I mean what is their comparison point? The Per 1000 Resident metric applies to rural, suburban and urban environments...and isn't a one size fits all measure.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:26 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,156,857 times
SF ranks higher than Baltimore.. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or