U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 12:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 14,089,206 times

Advertisements

Omg look how dangerous Chicago is!!!! MURDER CAPITAL! IT'S SO DANGEROUS DON'T MOVE TO CHICAGO!

About SF, it's known for car theft. While I was living there, I had many friends get their cars broken into. Unlike LA where many people have garages, SF is almost entirely street parking so cars are easy targets.

And until VERY recently, and still today, the Tenderloin is a 3rd world dump. Even with tech moving in and tech bros starting to rent places in the TL because everywhere else is so expensive, the homeless population is basically out of control for the size of the city and the location of the TL. Basically 2-3 blocks away from Union Square with designer stores and some of the most expensive shopping in the world probably, there is a ghetto full of homeless drug addicts. As in any big city, neighborhoods can change block by block. But this is like if you put the South Bronx 2 blocks away from Times Square and 10 from Wall Street. When you have mentally unstable homeless people that close to tourist hotspots and people they know they can rob, that has to lead to crime. And southern parts of the city are still very dangerous. Bayview/Hunters Point. Visitacion Valley, Crocker Amazon. Maybe not extremely dangerous, but definitely not safe and crime/drug hotspots.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 AM

47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Narof View Post
It's hilarious that you trust any stats coming form the Obamugbe admin.
And yet, this is the same source one was able to find such statistics under previous administrations.

What I see is that you disagree with the data, but can't come up with a better source to refute it with. Insulting the President just shows this.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It would probably depend on other aspects, as it isn't as cut and dry.
I understand this. Being in the Atlanta area, this is something I learned. There are certainly areas with alot of crime. I work in a rough area. There is alot of blight there. If I go to Powder Springs (Atlanta suburb), I don't worry about anything. It's majority Black and mainly middle class. Nothing is as simple as it seems.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:14 PM

13,097 posts, read 13,477,370 times
One criticism... I would prefer the ranking by violent crimes, as that is more what people associate with crime itself. People are normally going to care more about murder and rape than petty theft. I think the list would look a lot different.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
One criticism... I would prefer the ranking by violent crimes, as that is more what people associate with crime itself. People are normally going to care more about murder and rape than petty theft. I think the list would look a lot different.
Point noted.

Top 10 cities for murder rates per 100,000 (cities of 250,000+ people).
St. Louis, 49.9
Detroit, 43.5
New Orleans, 38.7
Baltimore, 33.8
Newark, 33.3
Buffalo, 23.2
Pittsburgh, 22.4
Memphis, 21.4
Atlanta, 20.5
Cincinnati, 20.2

Top 10 cities for rape rates per 100,000 (cities of 250,000+ people)
Anchorage, 130.1
Cleveland, 124
Minneapolis, 96.2
Colorado Springs, 92.6
Columbus, 88.8
Corpus Christi(Texas), 87.7
St. Louis, 87.6
Kansas City(Missouri), 83.3
Toledo, 82.2
Detroit, 81.4

If one looks at both rape and murder, Detroit and St. Louis rank in the top 10 on BOTH.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:31 AM

3,500 posts, read 4,955,295 times
Keep in mind, some cities' "effective population" can be much higher than their "permanent resident population" which is what the crime-sampling methodology is based on. For instance, Daytona Beach FL, Branson MO, Orlando FL, Las Vegas NV, Washington DC, Ocean City MD...Gatlinburg TN...have a much higher population of visitors/ tourists than their official permanent population figures (and in the case of Wash DC, suburban commuters, on top of the visitors).

Also keep in mind, that NY City sprawls out over 5 boroughs. I would venture that 40% of their metropolitan population lives within its city limits (5 boroughs) including parts of Queens and Staten Island that feel more suburban in nature which brings their crime rate down.

By contrast, only about 15% the population of metropolitan....Wash DC....San Franc CA....St. Louis MO....or Boston MA... lives within its actual city limits, so their statistics cover mostly the dense inner-city core. And similarly cities such as Camden NJ.. and Petersburg VA.. are by definition completely urban and minority-race, so would have high crime because there are no middle-class areas within the city..

Last edited by slowlane3; 11-22-2015 at 10:51 AM..

Old 11-22-2015, 11:25 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Point noted.

Top 10 cities for rape rates per 100,000 (cities of 250,000+ people)
Anchorage, 130.1
Cleveland, 124
Minneapolis, 96.2
Colorado Springs, 92.6
Columbus, 88.8
Corpus Christi(Texas), 87.7
St. Louis, 87.6
Kansas City(Missouri), 83.3
Toledo, 82.2
Detroit, 81.4
This list shows the limitations of city by city comparisons. Different police departments use different definitions for crime reporting. Minneapolis is the only major city in the country that counts all sexual assaults as rape. Most cities just count penetrative assault. The FBI would prefer for other cities to use Minneapolis' definition but right now they don't. There have been several news stories about the issue in the local press. Other cities game their numbers for public relations purposes. The only crime figure you can't do this for is homicide which is why it is the only one where it makes sense to compare across jurisdictions.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:13 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,056,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
...sterile Dallas/LA suburbs.

I guess those 'burbs are bland?

Old 11-22-2015, 02:48 PM

706 posts, read 513,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Keep in mind, some cities' "effective population" can be much higher than their "permanent resident population" which is what the crime-sampling methodology is based on. For instance, Daytona Beach FL, Branson MO, Orlando FL, Las Vegas NV, Washington DC, Ocean City MD...Gatlinburg TN...have a much higher population of visitors/ tourists than their official permanent population figures (and in the case of Wash DC, suburban commuters, on top of the visitors)...
Do you mean like Albuquerque? Every autumn, the city's effective population swells to the fourth largest in the country, and property crime goes throught the roof! Dang turistas.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:54 PM

1,019 posts, read 895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This isn't true. Poverty has almost no connection to relative crime rates.

Places like El Paso and LA have very high poverty, yet very little violent crime. Violent crime is heavily correlated with % African American, regardless of poverty rate.
2013 data shows that African Americans have the lowest median income.

If all high income African Americans congregate in a city called ABC, will that city be SAFE?

If all low income White Americans congregate in a city called XYZ, will that city be DANGEROUS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or