U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-12-2015, 02:08 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times
Reputation: 17606

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As would the folks in Nepal or Mauritius or Ecuador. With that type of standard in mind, there are no differences in human cultures/subcultures globally.
All I know is... I saw so many gun and ammo stores on the stretch of 168 in NC from the VA border to the bridge leading to the OBX. So many. I remember actually saying, "Wow there are so many gun stores."

I think there are definitely some pretty huge cultural differences between the North and South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2015, 02:10 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,162,756 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As would the folks in Nepal or Mauritius or Ecuador. With that type of standard in mind, there are no differences in human cultures/subcultures globally.
You're getting it now. That's what I mean by "human level." BTW, my GF is from the rural south she's and no different than anyone from rural or urban NY, PA, New England...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 02:39 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,162,756 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
All I know is... I saw so many gun and ammo stores on the stretch of 168 in NC from the VA border to the bridge leading to the OBX. So many. I remember actually saying, "Wow there are so many gun stores."

I think there are definitely some pretty huge cultural differences between the North and South.
Judging by Google, gun shops seem to be evenly distributed over most of the country, with the highest concentration ( far higher than the OBX region that you've noted) being in the Boston area. Apparently every region loves guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 02:48 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times
Reputation: 17606
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Judging by Google, gun shops seem to be evenly distributed over most of the country, with the highest concentration ( far higher than the OBX region that you've noted) being in the Boston area. Apparently every region loves guns.
I don't see 'em where I live. But I live in by far the most urban and dense state in the nation, 20 miles outside NYC, so my experiences are probably more of a rural/urban divide than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 03:01 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,162,756 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't see 'em where I live. But I live in by far the most urban and dense state in the nation, 20 miles outside NYC, so my experiences are probably more of a rural/urban divide than anything.
True for the Baltimore area too. Bass Pro is the only place I've seen them. Pawn shops too, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 03:18 PM
 
29,955 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Reputation: 18547
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You're getting it now. That's what I mean by "human level." BTW, my GF is from the rural south she's and no different than anyone from rural or urban NY, PA, New England...
So you're making the argument that life in Mogadishu and life in Milwaukee are pretty much the same since they are all populated by Homo sapiens who eat, sleep, defecate, reproduce, and die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 04:18 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,994 posts, read 3,472,887 times
Reputation: 2473
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
You have an accent too, but it is not exactly the same throughout your whole state. The mid-atlantic is in the middle, so it is in the northeast and the southeast at the same time.
I actually agree here wholeheartedly. Which is exactly my point about the NY and NJ not really being "mid-Atlantic" to me. In order to be mid Atlantic you need to be in the "grey area" somewhere. You can't be 250 north of that border talking about I'm in the "middle."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 06:15 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,162,756 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So you're making the argument that life in Mogadishu and life in Milwaukee are pretty much the same since they are all populated by Homo sapiens who eat, sleep, defecate, reproduce, and die?
My argument is that if people in both places have dreams, aspirations, goals, if they care about the safety of their families and themselves, work or a living..etc., then yes they are similar. Conversely, if they don't want/have any of that, then they too are similar. People's political affiliation,accents, religion, and everything else under the sun can be completely different, but if you think about it, it really isn't. That was my argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,102 posts, read 4,747,567 times
Reputation: 5379
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
All I know is... I saw so many gun and ammo stores on the stretch of 168 in NC from the VA border to the bridge leading to the OBX. So many. I remember actually saying, "Wow there are so many gun stores."

I think there are definitely some pretty huge cultural differences between the North and South.
There are gun stores all over upstate NY. A state with a very vocal anti-gun population in its urban spheres.

As far as what Kodeblue is saying I am not going quite that far out to human similarity. Kode has a point but it is a little beyond this particular conversation.

My point is that within the United States the north and south are not very different. Especially when one looks at basic American lifestyle. You can be in any state in this country and find a burger joint, find a Wal Mart, find a gas station, watch TV, use the internet, find a bathroom, find a country diner, find a high end restaurant, find an interstate, find a dirt road, meet good people and bad people, communicate through common language, etc. Every state has transplants from other regions which mixes in local colors together.

Accents, religion and ancestry are smaller as differences when compared to the massive similarities we share in the USA.

Many people have completely ignorant ideas of what the other side of the country must be like; typically based on media hysteria. It is 2015, we should be past this generalizing nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 07:33 PM
 
29,955 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Reputation: 18547
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
My argument is that if people in both places have dreams, aspirations, goals, if they care about the safety of their families and themselves, work or a living..etc., then yes they are similar. Conversely, if they don't want/have any of that, then they too are similar. People's political affiliation,accents, religion, and everything else under the sun can be completely different, but if you think about it, it really isn't. That was my argument.
It's not much of an argument to be honest. Your parameters are so broad until it renders the notion of culture itself to be absolutely meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top