U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 08:00 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Fair enough, but that doesn't mean it isn't here. Your initial response as if I were some crazy bag lady walking and swinging cats around and muttering about the NBA watching me pee was really, really unnecessary. I don't just make things up to prove a point, leave that to the politics forum.
Can you think of some threads off the top of your head where folks from PA, OH, IN, MI, etc who are actually native to those states were claiming to be Southerners? As I stated, I've participated on nearly every thread having to do with the South as a region in this subforum and I simply don't recall that being a thing at all. Generally, you don't see people from outside the South rushing to claim the South; it's just the opposite. That's why it sounded off to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 PM

4,101 posts, read 4,739,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Can you think of some threads off the top of your head where folks from PA, OH, IN, MI, etc who are actually native to those states were claiming to be Southerners? As I stated, I've participated on nearly every thread having to do with the South as a region in this subforum and I simply don't recall that being a thing at all. Generally, you don't see people from outside the South rushing to claim the South; it's just the opposite. That's why it sounded off to me.
Since it is collected memory over the last eight years I couldn't possibly bring them all immediately to you by direct link, but I can recall a few off the top of my head.

There was a very long "is Kentucky a northern state" thread where it went rampant. Especially concerning Indiana.

There was also an Ohio thread where I had a very long conversation with a user called Marietta who was very much in the camp of "everything south of I-70 is Dixieland".

There was a more recent thread about the great lakes region where some users from Michigan were attempting to disassociate Michigan from its northern root and claim deep kinship with the south.

There was a Mid Atlantic thread where somebody flat out posted that southern New Jersey is actually part of the south.

Most of the time it sneaks into other threads, especially anything to do with the Ohio river or Mid Atlantic region.

I've also seen it the other way around where people from far northern areas will disown other parts of northern states. I cannot recall the exact thread but there was a rather infuriating gentleman from Minnesota who was dead set on Chicago being "the true Mason Dixon".

Old 09-13-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Since it is collected memory over the last eight years I couldn't possibly bring them all immediately to you by direct link, but I can recall a few off the top of my head.

There was a very long "is Kentucky a northern state" thread where it went rampant. Especially concerning Indiana.

There was also an Ohio thread where I had a very long conversation with a user called Marietta who was very much in the camp of "everything south of I-70 is Dixieland".

There was a more recent thread about the great lakes region where some users from Michigan were attempting to disassociate Michigan from its northern root and claim deep kinship with the south.

There was a Mid Atlantic thread where somebody flat out posted that southern New Jersey is actually part of the south.

Most of the time it sneaks into other threads, especially anything to do with the Ohio river or Mid Atlantic region.

I've also seen it the other way around where people from far northern areas will disown other parts of northern states. I cannot recall the exact thread but there was a rather infuriating gentleman from Minnesota who was dead set on Chicago being "the true Mason Dixon".
I'm aware of threads where sentiments have been expressed that the cultural South extends into portions of neighboring states, and I don't disagree with that at all; border states within a region will naturally have some influences from neighboring states in nearby regions. But I have not seen a trend of people from Northern states claiming to be Southern; that's a different thing altogether. And I certainly haven't seen native Michiganders (and Michigan isn't anywhere near the South) claiming to be Southern. Even Black people in parts of the North whose forebearers migrated from the South during the Great Migration don't actually claim to be Southern, and many of them display cultural traits not too far removed from their Southern roots.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:29 AM

4,101 posts, read 4,739,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm aware of threads where sentiments have been expressed that the cultural South extends into portions of neighboring states, and I don't disagree with that at all; border states within a region will naturally have some influences from neighboring states in nearby regions. But I have not seen a trend of people from Northern states claiming to be Southern; that's a different thing altogether. And I certainly haven't seen native Michiganders (and Michigan isn't anywhere near the South) claiming to be Southern. Even Black people in parts of the North whose forebearers migrated from the South during the Great Migration don't actually claim to be Southern, and many of them display cultural traits not too far removed from their Southern roots.
So what you're saying is that no matter how I answer you you're just going to find a way to condescend to me as if I'm some crazy person. Gotcha.

I've been meaning to take another break from this place anyhow.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:41 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
^^you definitely need a break, a snickers or something. Your emotion is sneaking through your posts. It's okay, dude. Everybody doesn't have to agree with you...

Maryland will always be debatable, and whether people like it or not, so will the urban crescent in Virginia. Specifically to Maryland though, spot on point that it wasnt until DC's burbs exploded that the public shift of Maryland as a northern state became more of a thing. That's probably the most accurate sentence I've seen spoken on this oft-covered topic. Baltimore was always Baltimore, but DC's evolution from strictly a government one-stop to a cosmopolitan metropolis is what generated the shift in public perception...

Even still, it is very easy to note southern trends/characteristics still alive and well in Maryland. And as I and other posters have noted before, offline (as in away from this site), while it is rare, if ever, to hear a Marylander identify as a southerner first, when the north/south topic has come up, there is nowhere near the vitriol and delusions that Marylanders present on here. Marylanders know they live in a traditionally southern state that still has southern traits (as well as northern, absolutely), and they know they live in a state that isn't and very likely will never be as deeply or "truly" northern as points north...

Only online is any idea of southern identification so hotly contested by some Marylanders. That would be called "southern" shame...

Old 09-14-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
So what you're saying is that no matter how I answer you you're just going to find a way to condescend to me as if I'm some crazy person. Gotcha.

I've been meaning to take another break from this place anyhow.
I'm not being condescending at all and I think you meant to say that people assign parts of Northern border states to the cultural South (which is what you seem to be saying in the post where I asked for examples) but okay...enjoy your break.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:53 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,981 posts, read 3,462,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
^^you definitely need a break, a snickers or something. Your emotion is sneaking through your posts. It's okay, dude. Everybody doesn't have to agree with you...

Maryland will always be debatable, and whether people like it or not, so will the urban crescent in Virginia. Specifically to Maryland though, spot on point that it wasnt until DC's burbs exploded that the public shift of Maryland as a northern state became more of a thing. That's probably the most accurate sentence I've seen spoken on this oft-covered topic. Baltimore was always Baltimore, but DC's evolution from strictly a government one-stop to a cosmopolitan metropolis is what generated the shift in public perception...

Even still, it is very easy to note southern trends/characteristics still alive and well in Maryland. And as I and other posters have noted before, offline (as in away from this site), while it is rare, if ever, to hear a Marylander identify as a southerner first, when the north/south topic has come up, there is nowhere near the vitriol and delusions that Marylanders present on here. Marylanders know they live in a traditionally southern state that still has southern traits (as well as northern, absolutely), and they know they live in a state that isn't and very likely will never be as deeply or "truly" northern as points north...

Only online is any idea of southern identification so hotly contested by some Marylanders. That would be called "southern" shame...
I wouldn't even worry as much about categorizing it as North/South.

Marylanders, like myself, know they live in the middle transition state where the baton is passed from North to South in the U.S. on the East Coast. This is what is widely accepted by natives and those who move here from elsewhere. In MANY aspects we don't consider ourselves being a part of either. Sure if the Census or this site C-D says Mayland has to be placed in a region, they can feel free to place it where they want to.

The South factor only plays when people want to talk historically or the origins of the state. The North factor only plays when talking present and modern day political or business relations. Maryland exhibits all of the traits and qualities it takes to be considered the exact cultural borderline state. In our minds though Maryland is the quintessential mid-Atlantic state and the border of North and South.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Marylanders, like myself, know they live in the middle transition state where the baton is passed from North to South in the U.S. on the East Coast. This is what is widely accepted by natives and those who move here from elsewhere. In MANY aspects we don't consider ourselves being a part of either. Sure if the Census or this site C-D says Mayland has to be placed in a region, they can feel free to place it where they want to.

The South factor only plays when people want to talk historically or the origins of the state. The North factor only plays when talking present and modern day political or business relations. Maryland exhibits all of the traits and qualities it takes to be considered the exact cultural borderline state. In our minds though Maryland is the quintessential mid-Atlantic state and the border of North and South.
That's been my experience as well. Folks from MD (and DC) see themselves as being their own thing more than anything else.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:03 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

We're on the same page here; my point was I've had these convos with Maryland associates a time or two, and they never degenerated into the southern shaming and venom that many Marylanders on here have responded with through the years...

Old 09-18-2018, 12:54 PM

252 posts, read 119,061 times
Well it's rather obvious that one can argue till the cows go home ( ) with respect to the issue of which state is located down south or up north , but as far as Delaware goes I will say this :

The state most certainly has an indigenous population of Southerners , both white and black . A native Sussex County resident with longstanding ties to the area has much more in common with someone from Accomack County VA than with someone from Philadelphia or even much of New Castle County .

In short my home state might not be Southern , but it definitely is home to homegrown Southerners .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or