U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 11:13 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,146,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Well they do both rock golds all in they mouth,
Exactly. Any city on the Atlantic Coast south of Baltimore is southern as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 12:52 AM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Quote:
I wouldn't classify that as doubt. And in this instance I'm talking about in the minds of other people outside of this website. To the average person visiting those places there will be little doubt as to which they are.
Are you saying anybody who visits Maryland in real life would know it is southern or know it is northern?

Because I've been to Maryland. More than once. I've been to DC, I've been to Cumberland (I have a friend who was from there), and neither of them felt far removed from NY state or Pennsylvania. They did feel a world apart from Georgia, Louisiana and Tennessee though.

If it's any consolation, I don't feel Maryland has much in common with Minnesota.

The only part of Maryland I have never personally experienced is the lower coastal/bay region. However, I am willing to consider that part of the state southern based on other conversations I have had here. Even in appearance it has a southern flavor.

I've had people from Maryland tell me they don't think they are southern right to my face. I wasn't imagining it, so obviously the subject is not wholly decided even by Maryland's very own citizens.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:44 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,831,702 times
Quote:
I wouldn't classify that as doubt. And in this instance I'm talking about in the minds of other people outside of this website. To the average person visiting those places there will be little doubt as to which they are.
Who gets to define "average person" and what they think? Because we all know people's perceptions are based on experience AND where they are from/what they are used to...

I spent Jan/Feb working in Vermont and worked alongside a native Vermonter who said DC was southern to her. She wasn't old, either (mid-20s)...

I've often told a story of a girl I knew who was a native if Elmira, NY who moved to Baltimore, and considered it southern and frequently said she was "moving down south". She didn't say this blindly; her dad was from Baltimore and she'd been before...

So who decides what the average person thinks? You CD-Marylanders are a funny bunch, man...

Old 09-23-2018, 01:06 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore's culture isnt DC's culture and vise versa. When talking about local culture "DC/Baltimore" isn't a thing.
I was going to mention that as well but that's a whole 'no other can of worms.

Quote:
My experiences have been somewhat different and would include people who have moved to the area. IMO, there's more than enough variance in opinion for DC/Baltimore to not be considered "undoubtedly" Northern but YMMV.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:10 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I've had people from Maryland tell me they don't think they are southern right to my face.
Same here, but at the same time, they don't have an issue recognizing that they are technically considered to be in the South. They don't throw a hissy fit if you mention that lol...at least that's been my experience.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:31 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I've often told a story of a girl I knew who was a native if Elmira, NY who moved to Baltimore, and considered it southern and frequently said she was "moving down south". She didn't say this blindly; her dad was from Baltimore and she'd been before...
I feel like there may have been some deeper reason for that. Perhaps her father raising her to believe it was southern.

Because Elmira is not exactly the most typically northern area of NY. haha

In fact, a lot of Maryland resembles this part of NY the closest.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,979 posts, read 3,461,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Who gets to define "average person" and what they think? Because we all know people's perceptions are based on experience AND where they are from/what they are used to...

I spent Jan/Feb working in Vermont and worked alongside a native Vermonter who said DC was southern to her. She wasn't old, either (mid-20s)...

So who decides what the average person thinks? You CD-Marylanders are a funny bunch, man...
A couple of things here, first let's keep in mind that this thread about Mid Atlantic being combined with the Northeast, not necessarily north vs south.

Second, you are not the only one of personal experiences and stories of people giving their take on what they feel in a certain region.

I dated a young lady from New Bedford, MA years ago and specifically asked her what she considered DC and if it was Southern, she replied "heck no the South is like Georgia etc". I've been in places like Michigan and locals who aren't too familiar with geography thought that Maryland was where Massachusetts is. Others also referenced how we're still similar and get cold weather/winters but just that Michigans is way worse. Not to mention the confederate flags I saw on my way through Upstate NY and made nothing of it. I have family from Ohio, Kansas City etc, and friends on the West Coast, they call this area simply "East Coast". People all over can have their own experiences but I stand on my point that the average person outside of CD wouldn't call a place like MD the South period.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 10,848 times
Because it's in the ****ing Northeast.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:47 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,098,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Exactly. Any city on the Atlantic Coast south of Baltimore is southern as well.
New York cats rocc grills too you know...

Old 09-24-2018, 12:17 PM

323 posts, read 161,766 times
The reason the Census Bureau Mid-Atlantic gets lumped with the Northeast despite it specifically being called the Mid-Atlantic because it's in-between the North Atlantic (New England) and South Atlantic is so there wouldn't be two ridiculously small regions while the other three regions (Midwest, South, and West) are huge in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or