U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 07:15 AM

2,321 posts, read 3,000,991 times

Advertisements

I am a born and raised Marylander and when growing up in the 70's and 80's we were taught it was the Mid-Atlantic. The Mid Atlantic lines seem to be different on this forum but I was always taught when younger, and carry that belief today that the Mid-Atlantic is basically between two straight borders. The PA/MD border carried eastward so it would include southern NJ down to the VA/NC border. On the upper end (South Jersey and Wilmington-northward) it is part of the northeast and on the lower end in VA it is pure southern. Between the two sections is a blend. In the Mid-Atlantic there is truly a blend from pure south to pure northeastern.

Take a drive from South Jersey and board the Cape May/Lewes ferry and both towns are pure northeastern. Or head south from Wilmington, DE on 13. By the time you cross the bridge/tunnel into VA beach you are purely in the south. And it would have been a gradual blend. There can even be a 15 to 20 degree temp change in the winter between the northern and southern part of the Mid-Atlantic. And since I fish for a living I'll even toss out that it is that little section, right in the middle of our coast that separates the more northern species from the southern species and even differentiates between a season that shuts down in the winter to one that one can fish straight through the winter!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 07:32 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
When I was a child our geography textbook used the U.S. census definition, with the Mid-Atlantic defined as NY, NJ, and PA only.

I'm fine with the idea of including DE or even MD in with Mid-Atlantic. But I find the definitions which only include MD/DE/DC/VA kind of weird, because then there is no word for the non New England portion of the Northeast.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:16 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,225,201 times
I don't consider Virginia outside of NOVA to be the Mid-Atlantic. I consider that the South Atlantic. The Mid-Atlantic to me is NOVA, most of MD and DE except for their southern parts, PA, NJ, and NYC.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:17 AM

4,633 posts, read 2,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I don't consider Virginia outside of NOVA to be the Mid-Atlantic. I consider that the South Atlantic. The Mid-Atlantic to me is NOVA, most of MD and DE except for their southern parts, PA, NJ, and NYC.
same. below that is the south. This is just my opinion, but people in the Mid-Atlantic do not say "y'all"

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 11-06-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-06-2015, 12:32 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,564,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I am a born and raised Marylander and when growing up in the 70's and 80's we were taught it was the Mid-Atlantic. The Mid Atlantic lines seem to be different on this forum but I was always taught when younger, and carry that belief today that the Mid-Atlantic is basically between two straight borders. The PA/MD border carried eastward so it would include southern NJ down to the VA/NC border. On the upper end (South Jersey and Wilmington-northward) it is part of the northeast and on the lower end in VA it is pure southern. Between the two sections is a blend. In the Mid-Atlantic there is truly a blend from pure south to pure northeastern.

Take a drive from South Jersey and board the Cape May/Lewes ferry and both towns are pure northeastern. Or head south from Wilmington, DE on 13. By the time you cross the bridge/tunnel into VA beach you are purely in the south. And it would have been a gradual blend. There can even be a 15 to 20 degree temp change in the winter between the northern and southern part of the Mid-Atlantic. And since I fish for a living I'll even toss out that it is that little section, right in the middle of our coast that separates the more northern species from the southern species and even differentiates between a season that shuts down in the winter to one that one can fish straight through the winter!.
great post. As a fisherman myself and someone who loves boating I notice a ton of difference when you start looking for bluefin tuna near the outer banks in north carolina and just start getting down south.

There is actually a big difference between virginia and the coast in the carolinas.The water really start getting warmer once you get into the carolinas, there can be a 10-15 degree difference between just virginia beach and certain parts of the carolinas and a 20+ degree difference between a place like cape may or delaware and the carolinas georgia and florida .

Old 11-06-2015, 02:26 PM

7,130 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
Hi!

I was just wondering. The Mid-Atlantic states are considered a "subregion of the Northeast- as in "Northeast and Mid-Atlantic" But they are not considered a sub region of the Southeast states.

But I find this is a problem- especially for Virginia which is the Southern end of the Mid Atlantic. And our culture is undeniably Southern.

I live in Central Virginia and we have more in common with people in GA and TN than we do people from Boston or NYC, or even Baltimore!

People from the Northeast have accents and drink unsweet tea.

Shouldn't there be a new sub region of the U.S or "Upper South"- for those that live South of D.C. but not in the Deep South?

Even far as to say- the Mid Atlantic states are not really like the Northeast. I have been to the Northeast and its like a different world to me. Also, if Virginia is considered Mid-Atlantic, then why is Kentucky not considered "Midwest'- when it is directly across from Virginia?

What do y'all think?

We have been talking about this for years here on City-Data.

Basically from what I could gather is that the term Mid-Atlantic has been spreading southward for years from its historic definition of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. I have found evidence that even Maryland, let alone Virginia or North Carolina was not originally part of the Mid-Atlantic (or Middle Atlantic as they used to call it).

Why is the question. I think it has something to do with a identity crisis but also because people have been moving into the Maryland-Virginia area (especially around DC) who have a negative stereotype of the South or the Northeast. For them, it is easier to say they live in the "Mid-Atlantic" then figure out whether Maryland is northern or southern.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 PM

1,223 posts, read 579,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
Hi!

I was just wondering. The Mid-Atlantic states are considered a "subregion of the Northeast- as in "Northeast and Mid-Atlantic" But they are not considered a sub region of the Southeast states.

But I find this is a problem- especially for Virginia which is the Southern end of the Mid Atlantic. And our culture is undeniably Southern.

I live in Central Virginia and we have more in common with people in GA and TN than we do people from Boston or NYC, or even Baltimore!

People from the Northeast have accents and drink unsweet tea.

Shouldn't there be a new sub region of the U.S or "Upper South"- for those that live South of D.C. but not in the Deep South?

Even far as to say- the Mid Atlantic states are not really like the Northeast. I have been to the Northeast and its like a different world to me. Also, if Virginia is considered Mid-Atlantic, then why is Kentucky not considered "Midwest'- when it is directly across from Virginia?

What do y'all think?
You're exaggerating. The reason I say this is because RVA anchors Central VA and I'm sure that you're more familiar with RVA. I'm from ATL and lived in RVA man....you'd definitely fit-in in BMore over anywhere in GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
I would have to say the Mid-Atlantic is what it is. The census may consider it a sub-region of the NE, but in reality, common parlance has it centered on an entirely different set of states that basically encircle the Chesapeake Bay. And today, it is describing that culture, with DC and Baltimore perhaps as the focal points. So I would argue that it does overlap the edge of the Upper South and edge of the Northeast like a Venn Diagram. To be fair, this modern definition was never a technical one and for many the old definition of NY, NJ and PA is outdated because of cultural, social changes and recognizing that there are some historical reasons as well.

And I don't think you can generalize your own region so broadly. I.e., I also live in Central VA, I only ever order unsweetened tea (and ask for sugars on the side), and to hear a southern accent I feel I must go to the northern or far southwestern exurbs to find it. Don't get me wrong, Virginia is a southern state, but it is Mid-Atlantic precisely because it mixes some of the architectural, urban, cultural dynamics of places further north with some of the cultural elements of the south, which is typical for the states and cities surrounding the Chesapeake.

Haha, and honestly, I'd disagree that I should have more in common with folks in GA, particularly my relatives there or even in North Carolina (which is a state similar to VA in many ways) who I don't frequently see anyway, than the ones who I see more often in DC, PA and even NY. But I also went to school in NY, so I this could just be my personal perspective.
Couldn't have summed it up better. I love the Mid-Atlantic region, it fits me well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The modern day dividing line of North/South if created would be the Potomac River no doubt, however that does not mean Virginia isn't mid-Atlantic because it is. IMO the mid-Atlantic stretches down from New Jersey all the way through Virginia beach. Every little stepping stone in between is a different level of mid-Atlantic as it intensifies the further north you go.

Leaving New Jersey when you cross the bridge going South into Delaware towards Baltimore/DC you immediately see the Chesapeake Bay signs for MD, DE, and VA tidewater areas. Anything Chesapeake Bay related is mid-Atlantic, it's all a part of a broader "sub-region" than most make it out to be, despite the differences that say Virginia may have with the northern most states in the sub-region. Virginia can keep all of its "upper south" traits and still be VERY mid-Atlantic.
Exactly, great post. It always drove me crazy when people on these boards try to knock VA's designation as a majority Mid-Atlantic state (Hampton Roads, RVA, Charlottesville, and of course Northern Virginia has that mixed regional feel going on).

If anything, NC, TN, and KY has that dull upper South thing going on. (that Northeast portion of NC is just an extension of VA...OBX)

Old 11-06-2015, 09:21 PM

1,223 posts, read 579,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
When I was a child our geography textbook used the U.S. census definition, with the Mid-Atlantic defined as NY, NJ, and PA only.

I'm fine with the idea of including DE or even MD in with Mid-Atlantic. But I find the definitions which only include MD/DE/DC/VA kind of weird, because then there is no word for the non New England portion of the Northeast.
I see where you're coming from but how many from NY, NJ, and PA identify with the Mid-Atlantic label? A poster on this board asked me what I would call NY, PA, and NY if they weren't Mid-Atlantic....I said General Northeast because everyone I've ever ran into just from NY, NJ, and PA always defines there region as Northeast. That isn't the case with the MD/DC/VA crowd.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:57 PM

6,195 posts, read 6,358,094 times
I consider Maryland and Delaware to be a part of the North East.

Mid Atlantic is just to differentiate from New England. Both are North East regions though.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:41 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,363,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Why is the question. I think it has something to do with a identity crisis but also because people have been moving into the Maryland-Virginia area (especially around DC) who have a negative stereotype of the South or the Northeast. For them, it is easier to say they live in the "Mid-Atlantic" then figure out whether Maryland is northern or southern.
Yeah but I believe that you have to call it for what it really is. Virginia is southern, people typically want to debate it but its not even debatable in my opinion. Is it the Deep South? No. Are people walking around with super thick accents? No but it's still more of a southern state curturally.

Northern Virginia is obviously a bit different and interesting in the sense that everything here is influenced by DC. The focal point of everything created here is DC so it's not as southern as the rest of the state and curturally is more relatable to the DC MD suburbs but outside of NoVa, VA is definitely southern. It's not a good or bad thing, that's just the way it is and most people outside of NoVa will happily tell you VA is the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or