U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-16-2018, 06:12 AM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,985 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Reputation: 2436

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Black Marylanders do have a southern drawl. I watched many black Youtubers from Maryland and they all have that southern drawl. Baltimore does have phily traits but unlike Philadelphia people outside the mid-alantic confuse it with a New York accent. With Baltimore nobody say it sounds like a New York accent. A kid I know online from the Baltimore area wants to speak like a NY'er lol. Eastern Maryland was apart of the cotton belt so the Blacks there ought to sound Southern considering Harriet Tubman grew up in that area.
The following statement is from my experiences and common knowledge to people surrounding me in my personal life which includes six years of living in Baltimore:

Baltimore (Blacks at least) always attempted to align with Northeastern most characteristics. From rocking Fubu and Pelle Pelle, along with their own local brands of clothing, to the over usage of the word "Yo" even as a pronoun in many cases, this is an "East Coast" trait, as some would say. The whole urban dirt bike/atv culture is another example of Baltimore attempting to align with cities North of it, because there and Philly it took off about the same time. This was organic, and of course being 90 miles away from Philly this would have an effect. Of course ask a native from there, they would tell you how NOBODY influences them, and everything done in Baltimore is reflective of only their city/metro and that's it. Who wouldn't back their city, but the city is definitely a product of it's environment and has influences coming from North and South, but primarily North being that it's area borders the NE.

The only things I've associated them with and the South is saying tewww for two, and dug for dog, as well as being known for rocking gold teeth.

Baltimore is it's own little world sure, but it's not so easy just to say no influence in the history of the city has ever come in and out of the NE to that city. But of course there are some unique parts of their culture like seafood/crabs among others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2018, 07:18 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
333 posts, read 104,944 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The following statement is from my experiences and common knowledge to people surrounding me in my personal life which includes six years of living in Baltimore:

Baltimore (Blacks at least) always attempted to align with Northeastern most characteristics. From rocking Fubu and Pelle Pelle, along with their own local brands of clothing, to the over usage of the word "Yo" even as a pronoun in many cases, this is an "East Coast" trait, as some would say. The whole urban dirt bike/atv culture is another example of Baltimore attempting to align with cities North of it, because there and Philly it took off about the same time. This was organic, and of course being 90 miles away from Philly this would have an effect. Of course ask a native from there, they would tell you how NOBODY influences them, and everything done in Baltimore is reflective of only their city/metro and that's it. Who wouldn't back their city, but the city is definitely a product of it's environment and has influences coming from North and South, but primarily North being that it's area borders the NE.

The only things I've associated them with and the South is saying tewww for two, and dug for dog, as well as being known for rocking gold teeth.

Baltimore is it's own little world sure, but it's not so easy just to say no influence in the history of the city has ever come in and out of the NE to that city. But of course there are some unique parts of their culture like seafood/crabs among others.
Asetically and culturally it does have a more Northern vibe but it's pretty slower pace than the other mid-alantic cities. Even DC is more faster paced than B-more. The best way to describe Baltimore blacks is a more laid-back version of phily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 07:42 AM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,985 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Reputation: 2436
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Asetically and culturally it does have a more Northern vibe but it's pretty slower pace than the other mid-alantic cities. Even DC is more faster paced than B-more. The best way to describe Baltimore blacks is a more laid-back version of phily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The following statement is from my experiences and common knowledge to people surrounding me in my personal life which includes six years of living in Baltimore:

Baltimore (Blacks at least) always attempted to align with Northeastern most characteristics. From rocking Fubu and Pelle Pelle, along with their own local brands of clothing, to the over usage of the word "Yo" even as a pronoun in many cases, this is an "East Coast" trait, as some would say. The whole urban dirt bike/atv culture is another example of Baltimore attempting to align with cities North of it, because there and Philly it took off about the same time. This was organic, and of course being 90 miles away from Philly this would have an effect. Of course ask a native from there, they would tell you how NOBODY influences them, and everything done in Baltimore is reflective of only their city/metro and that's it. Who wouldn't back their city, but the city is definitely a product of it's environment and has influences coming from North and South, but primarily North being that it's area borders the NE.

The only things I've associated them with and the South is saying tewww for two, and dug for dog, as well as being known for rocking gold teeth.

Baltimore is it's own little world sure, but it's not so easy just to say no influence in the history of the city has ever come in and out of the NE to that city. But of course there are some unique parts of their culture like seafood/crabs among others.
Good post.

As an aside, I find it fascinating how seafood is something every coastal state's respective region shares in common, and yet the dishes and their subjects are so different. It really demonstrates how a hundred miles of ocean north or south dramatically changes the marine life found in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 01:58 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
The Urban dirt bike phenomenon started in, and is most known for coming from Baltimore nearly 30 years ago. Philly also borrowed club Music, which is hugely popular, from Baltimore as well.

Baltimore's accent isn't anything like Philly. Philly's accent sound a bit similar to NYC (the have been countless videos posted on CD to sample) whereas the Baltimore accent can only be heard in the Baltimore area.

Baltimore does it's own thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
3,293 posts, read 1,647,912 times
Reputation: 3538
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Blacks in DC or Maryland overall don't have Southern speech.

Blacks in Baltimore sound like Philly blacks they just say "tewww" and "duggg". Outside of that their accent is more Northern than Southern.

Most blacks in Maryland suburban areas sound very neutral and nothing close to Southern.

Gayle King is from Silver Spring, MD and doesn't talk with a Southern accent:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jd-bNUx-3k


Could you point out a segment of the population that talks with a deeper drawl than others? Yes. But even then its not Southern speech. It's just not an NY or NE accent.
Philly and Baltimore blacks sound nothing alike!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 07:42 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Philly and Baltimore blacks sound nothing alike!!!
100% truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,985 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Reputation: 2436
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Philly and Baltimore blacks sound nothing alike!!!
False. That they are "nothing" alike. Their accents are similiar and mirror each other in some way. They are different cities with their own core accents, but it's not hard to see where similarities are derived from. Ask someone from either city to pronounce rack, back, path, bath and a host of others words. I've noticed especially the females pronounce a lot of words similarly.

Overall though someone with a trained ear would hear the distinction. I also think there is a clear distinction between black Philly accent and NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
False. That they are "nothing" alike. Their accents are similiar and mirror each other in some way. They are different cities with their own core accents, but it's not hard to see where similarities are derived from. Ask someone from either city to pronounce rack, back, path, bath and a host of others words. I've noticed especially the females pronounce a lot of words similarly.

Overall though someone with a trained ear would hear the distinction. I also think there is a clear distinction between black Philly accent and NYC.
These people are going to constantly deny that Maryland has anything in common with the north until you turn blue.

The way they see it, they are pure Alabama with a dash of Virginia and you'd swear some of them believe Maryland is the absolute standard of southern culture by the way they defend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2018, 10:58 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
False. That they are "nothing" alike. Their accents are similiar and mirror each other in some way. They are different cities with their own core accents, but it's not hard to see where similarities are derived from. Ask someone from either city to pronounce rack, back, path, bath and a host of others words. I've noticed especially the females pronounce a lot of words similarly.

Overall though someone with a trained ear would hear the distinction. I also think there is a clear distinction between black Philly accent and NYC.
You don't need a trained ear to hear the differences between the two cities, just compare Meek Mill to someone like Jess Hilarious... Completely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top