U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,986 posts, read 3,464,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
These people are going to constantly deny that Maryland has anything in common with the north until you turn blue.

The way they see it, they are pure Alabama with a dash of Virginia and you'd swear some of them believe Maryland is the absolute standard of southern culture by the way they defend it.
I think they are in the minority overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You don't need a trained ear to hear the differences between the two cities, just compare Meek Mill to someone like Jess Hilarious... Completely different.
As someone not from Baltimore or Philly with no bias towards believing if the locals of either city sound alike or not, I've heard similarities. I hear distinctions absolutely, each has their own sound separate from any other place, but if I had to point out cities across the country where the "black accent" is at least cousins with an another Baltimore and Philly would be on the list.

What I mean by a trained ear is someone who really is unfamiliar with either city's slang or accent. So like if a white person from Topeka, KS was visiting Germany and met a black person with a deep Baltimore or Philly accent there, I doubt they would make out the difference of where that person was from automatically. I consider myself having a trained enough ear to distinctly visit any part of this globe and would be able to make out a black DC accent, Baltimore accent, Philly accent, NY accent etc.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:04 AM

7,748 posts, read 6,152,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
As someone not from Baltimore or Philly with no bias towards believing if the locals of either city sound alike or not, I've heard similarities. I hear distinctions absolutely, each has their own sound separate from any other place, but if I had to point out cities across the country where the "black accent" is at least cousins with an another Baltimore and Philly would be on the list.

What I mean by a trained ear is someone who really is unfamiliar with either city's slang or accent. So like if a white person from Topeka, KS was visiting Germany and met a black person with a deep Baltimore or Philly accent there, I doubt they would make out the difference of where that person was from automatically. I consider myself having a trained enough ear to distinctly visit any part of this globe and would be able to make out a black DC accent, Baltimore accent, Philly accent, NY accent etc.
Detroit and LA, or DC and Chicago accents sound more similar than Baltimore and Philly. Just listen to someone from Baltimore and Philly say something like "down there." Someone from Baltimore would sound like "down air," while someone from Philly would sound like "down near." Someone from Philly would pronounce the word "doll" it would rhyme with "while," in Baltimore it will ryhme with "wall." There is a very stark difference between the accents.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Detroit and LA, or DC and Chicago accents sound more similar than Baltimore and Philly. Just listen to someone from Baltimore and Philly say something like "down there." Someone from Baltimore would sound like "down air," while someone from Philly would sound like "down near." Someone from Philly would pronounce the word "doll" it would rhyme with "while," in Baltimore it will ryhme with "wall." There is a very stark difference between the accents.
This confirms to me that you know nothing about accents. I'll just leave it be.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
This confirms to me that you know nothing about accents. I'll just leave it be.
Unlike you, I can provide examples.
Post videos of Baltimore and Philly displaying a similar accent, or let the thread die.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Unlike you, I can provide examples.
Post videos of Baltimore and Philly displaying a similar accent, or let the thread die.
I've done this in other threads, and I feel like we've had a similar conversation before.

But instead of dancing in circles, we can end this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-Notj1cww

Case closed!

Old 10-17-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I've done this in other threads, and I feel like we've had a similar conversation before.

But instead of dancing in circles, we can end this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-Notj1cww

Case closed!
You can clearly hear the differences between the two. Anyone with the sense of hearing can tell that the example clearly illustrates vastly different accents.

Does anyone think these two accents are similar? Someone from Philly would say no, I'm from Baltimore and I'm saying no. Let the outsiders answer.

Nobody in Baltimore is trying to be like Philly or NYC. Use DC to boost Philly and NYC's ego.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 10-17-2018 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 05:01 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,975,743 times
Black Baltimore sounds nothing like black Philadelphia. Nothing. There are no “jawns”, no “ocks”, no “bulls”, nothing. For the reverse, there are no “dew” sounds that permeate every “o” ending verb Black Baltimoreans say.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Black Baltimore sounds nothing like black Philadelphia. Nothing. There are no “jawns”, no “ocks”, no “bulls”, nothing. For the reverse, there are no “dew” sounds that permeate every “o” ending verb Black Baltimoreans say.
And that's about where it stops, to outsiders the two cities have similar accents. Just check the comments of the video. Of course natives would deny this.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
You can clearly hear the differences between the two. Anyone with the sense of hearing can tell that the example clearly illustrates vastly different accents.

Does anyone think these two accents are similar? Someone from Philly would say no, I'm from Baltimore and I'm saying no. Let the outsiders answer.

Nobody in Baltimore is trying to be like Philly or NYC. Use DC to boost Philly and NYC's ego.
Not really, you have a trained ear my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or