U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,141,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Not really, you have a trained ear my friend.
My ear is trained enough to know when someone doesn't have a Baltimore accent. Philly doesn't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
And that's about where it stops, to outsiders the two cities have similar accents. Just check the comments of the video. Of course natives would deny this.
That's because we're not trying to be like them or anyone else in the Northeast. Your post about natives denying that negates your whole post from which this conversation about accents stems from.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:59 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,972,560 times
Quote:
And that's about where it stops, to outsiders the two cities have similar accents. Just check the comments of the video. Of course natives would deny this.
Iím from Delaware, and currently live in Baltimore. Iím not a native to either region, though. Black Baltimoreans speak with an accent like nowhere else. There is no black accent in media or real life that Iíve heard that comes anywhere close to Snoop from The Wire. Not NYC, not LA, not Atlanta and certainly not Philadelphia. Are there similarities elsewhere between the cultures? Of course. Thatís a given due to the proximity. Baltimore club music used to be played heavily in Philadelphia (the Wu Tang dance), Street bikes are everywhere in both cities, and the Philly beard has basically taken over all of black America, to say nothing of Baltimore.

But the black Baltimore accent is one of the most unique things Iíve ever heard, and isnít duplicated anywhere. Back in the days of Roc A Fella, Beanie Siegel, the Young Gunz and Freeway could play off of Jay Z and Memphis Bleek, without their accents clashing. Philly has a unique accent, but it can definitely sound NYC in many phrases. Baltimore accents never do, which is why thereís probably never been a big time rapper from here. Plenty of R & B singers, but never a big time rapper. The cadence is too unique, which makes me wonder if the industry pushed back against it.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 PM

354 posts, read 107,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Iím from Delaware, and currently live in Baltimore. Iím not a native to either region, though. Black Baltimoreans speak with an accent like nowhere else. There is no black accent in media or real life that Iíve heard that comes anywhere close to Snoop from The Wire. Not NYC, not LA, not Atlanta and certainly not Philadelphia. Are there similarities elsewhere between the cultures? Of course. Thatís a given due to the proximity. Baltimore club music used to be played heavily in Philadelphia (the Wu Tang dance), Street bikes are everywhere in both cities, and the Philly beard has basically taken over all of black America, to say nothing of Baltimore.

But the black Baltimore accent is one of the most unique things Iíve ever heard, and isnít duplicated anywhere. Back in the days of Roc A Fella, Beanie Siegel, the Young Gunz and Freeway could play off of Jay Z and Memphis Bleek, without their accents clashing. Philly has a unique accent, but it can definitely sound NYC in many phrases. Baltimore accents never do, which is why thereís probably never been a big time rapper from here. Plenty of R & B singers, but never a big time rapper. The cadence is too unique, which makes me wonder if the industry pushed back against it.
This right here. Baltimore is a very unique city. People always assume there's nothing in Baltimore besides crime which is false. Baltimore may not be the most touristy city in the world, but it certainly has it's flavor. Being located in Maryland plays a huge role in it's culture. It has the rowhouses, sidewalks, public transportation like other major east coast cities while having words like hon used, bojangles, blue moon, chessepeake bay, slower paced and having a walmart within its city limits (I know having a walmart doesn't make a city southern but I don't hear other big mid alantic cities having a walmart in it's city proper).

Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
This right here. Baltimore is a very unique city. People always assume there's nothing in Baltimore besides crime which is false. Baltimore may not be the most touristy city in the world, but it certainly has it's flavor. Being located in Maryland plays a huge role in it's culture. It has the rowhouses, sidewalks, public transportation like other major east coast cities while having words like hon used, bojangles, blue moon, chessepeake bay, slower paced and having a walmart within its city limits (I know having a walmart doesn't make a city southern but I don't hear other big mid alantic cities having a walmart in it's city proper).
There's no Bojangles in the Baltimore area. Also, Philly has 4 Walmarts in the city proper. Philly also has Churches Chicken, which the Baltimore area doesn't. Not calling Philly southern by any means, or calling Baltimore northern, but some stereotypes can be easily proven false.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 PM

25,016 posts, read 23,908,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=phil...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 10-17-2018, 09:28 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,458,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
My ear is trained enough to know when someone doesn't have a Baltimore accent. Philly doesn't have it.

When did I ever say that Philly has a Balitmore accent?? LMFAO!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:

When did I ever say that Philly has a Balitmore accent?? LMFAO!
Not sure what the giggling is about, but you seem to be the only person saying that the accent are similar. Nobody from Baltimore or Philly hears it Why are you putting so much energy into this? Posting videos of people who sound nothing alike....

Old 10-18-2018, 09:19 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
moving away from a black accent, Philly and Baltimore while sounding different in accent actually have the same accent roots; completely dissimilar from NYC or New England but in structure and roots its the same lineage albeit sounding differently. Most publications suggest the difference in sound is from a historic N/S divide with the same speech roots taking on more and less of a southern influence in dialect.

But there is commonalities in a Philly and Baltimore general accent. Philly has completely different accent/dialect roots from NYC/N Jersey which media and movies mostly portray Philly as having a NYC accent, which it most definitely does not

The North American Dialect Map | Earthly Mission

Old 10-18-2018, 09:58 AM

7,136 posts, read 9,905,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
moving away from a black accent, Philly and Baltimore while sounding different in accent actually have the same accent roots; completely dissimilar from NYC or New England but in structure and roots its the same lineage albeit sounding differently. Most publications suggest the difference in sound is from a historic N/S divide with the same speech roots taking on more and less of a southern influence in dialect.

But there is commonalities in a Philly and Baltimore general accent. Philly has completely different accent/dialect roots from NYC/N Jersey which media and movies mostly portray Philly as having a NYC accent, which it most definitely does not

The North American Dialect Map | Earthly Mission
Actually if you read the confusing article about New York City English, it says that New York and Philadelphia used to have more similarities (which makes sense historically) but began to separate in the 1800s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_English

That is just one theory, I have also read somewhere that the New York accent is heavily affected by the large Irish population that moved into the area in the 1800s (which explains some similarities with Boston).

My own theory, based on history, is that so many people moved into New York from New England that it gradually changed the New York accent. New York was "the West" to New Englanders from the 1600s to 1800s, the place you went to get away from your family and start a new life, the way that Ohio was the west to Pennsylvanians or Kentucky was the west to Virginians.

What I cannot figure out is why there are quite a few similarities between Maryland and Pennsylvania. Yes, I get that they are right next to each other and there is going to be some cross border trade going on. But I am not aware there is much cross border migration between the two historically, at least among the white population.

Last edited by LINative; 10-18-2018 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: added confusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or