U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 08:29 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
But see, MD is such a small state, that if you take Southern MD, the eastern shore, and Western MD (which I guess you could say is more "Appalachian" than southern)...area wise that is 3/4 of the state that is definitely southern leaning (although in no way is it Alabama south/Deep South...I describe it as southern light). You are left with only the Baltimore-Washington corridor, which is best described as Mid-Atlantic because it is a hybrid. PG County and the large wealthy black county like that will not be found anywhere in the NE. It is similar to what you'd see in Atlanta. Many of the DMV suburbs are plain vanilla. They are not characteristically northern or southern. So to me, the state (my home state) is truly mid Atlantic, but much of the state is "southern light" if you have to choose between north and south.
See, I don't agree with how much of the state you're saying is southern. What you gave me and what Duderino gave me are two completely different ideas. Like addendums tacked onto a bill in congress.

I've been to western Maryland even more than any other part of the state. Around Cumberland particularly. Even the adjacent portions of WV are more like the northeast than they are the south. Accents were slower for sure, but most everything else was more like rural PA, Ohio, and yes, even central/western NY. I stood out for saying "y'all" at one point while visiting Maryland (having lived in Louisiana for several years at the time, it became a regular part of my speech).

I've got loads of personal experience with both sides of the American East, Maryland, to me, is more like PA, NY, NJ, than it is any southern state. That's not an insult or some kind of downgrade from glorious Dixie; it's just real.

Perhaps it didn't resemble the north back in 1840 aside from nature itself, but I wasn't alive then to see it; and it's 2018 at this moment. America as a whole has changed a lot. Geographically, as well.

I know people don't have to believe me. I realize much of my evidence is anecdotal and presented in an internet forum through text. Regardless, it's all true, believed or not. I do have a cousin working in Baltimore (he moved there from Michigan), I did have a very close friend from Cumberland (Who now lives in California), and I had another friend from DC down in Louisiana who was black and insisted Maryland was not southern. All of whom I have referenced as it is relevant.

That said, I have also met a man from Maryland, whom I still know fairly well, who does think he is southern. He absolutely speaks with a southern accent, and I believe him. He is, however, from southeast of DC. Not western MD, nor Baltimore. Right where I agree MD is southern in character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 09:25 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,976 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
See, I don't agree with how much of the state you're saying is southern. What you gave me and what Duderino gave me are two completely different ideas. Like addendums tacked onto a bill in congress.

I've been to western Maryland even more than any other part of the state. Around Cumberland particularly. Even the adjacent portions of WV are more like the northeast than they are the south. Accents were slower for sure, but most everything else was more like rural PA, Ohio, and yes, even central/western NY. I stood out for saying "y'all" at one point while visiting Maryland (having lived in Louisiana for several years at the time, it became a regular part of my speech).

I've got loads of personal experience with both sides of the American East, Maryland, to me, is more like PA, NY, NJ, than it is any southern state. That's not an insult or some kind of downgrade from glorious Dixie; it's just real.

Perhaps it didn't resemble the north back in 1840 aside from nature itself, but I wasn't alive then to see it; and it's 2018 at this moment. America as a whole has changed a lot. Geographically, as well.

I know people don't have to believe me. I realize much of my evidence is anecdotal and presented in an internet forum through text. Regardless, it's all true, believed or not. I do have a cousin working in Baltimore (he moved there from Michigan), I did have a very close friend from Cumberland (Who now lives in California), and I had another friend from DC down in Louisiana who was black and insisted Maryland was not southern. All of whom I have referenced as it is relevant.

That said, I have also met a man from Maryland, whom I still know fairly well, who does think he is southern. He absolutely speaks with a southern accent, and I believe him. He is, however, from southeast of DC. Not western MD, nor Baltimore. Right where I agree MD is southern in character.
No you are exactly correct. Even for the posters who concede the Baltimore/DC region of the state is the "only" part that is not Southern. Well those areas make up about 5 million of the 6 million people in the state!

I for one am with you however, Western MD like Cumberland etc is not a Southern place at all! It's like Western PA or the panhandle of W Va, or even Eastern Ohio. There is no resemblance to the Southeastern US in Cumberland, not even "South lite", it's just not there.

So if you wipe out Western MD, and Baltimore and DC's middle area of the state, your only talking about potentially two counties in Southern MD + the Eastern Shore in some people's opinions of being Southern or "South lite". That's not even 1/5 the state's population, yet we're classifying the whole state as such?

Old 10-20-2018, 10:21 PM

24,980 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Yeah, things get blurry around this part if the country. There was a guest the stayed at the hotel that I worked, and I asked him was part of the south his from, due to having a strong southern sounding accent....

He said he's from NJ, born and Raised.
Once when I was on the Lewes-Cape May ferry I heard two southern guys talking. No, they were from Cumberland county, New Jersey. When my son worked in Medford, NJ, two older men from further south in the county (the sticks) used to patronize the business where he worked. They sounded southern to him, and our family had lived in North Carolina when he was young.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:13 AM

1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
It's because New York is in the Mid Atlantic. And New York is considered Northeast, so then by association if New York is Northeast then the entire Mid Atlantic is Northeast. I'm not saying its right or wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:35 AM

7,130 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
It's because New York is in the Mid Atlantic. And New York is considered Northeast, so then by association if New York is Northeast then the entire Mid Atlantic is Northeast. I'm not saying its right or wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the reason.
Actually the exact same could be said for Pennsylvania and New Jersey. All three were part of Dutch colony of New Netherland that was conquered by the British to become the Middle colonies and eventually the Middle States.

Delaware also, except at one point she became associated for the South for reasons that I am not sure about. Maybe because she held on to slavery until the Civil War. In contrast, Maryland and especially Virginia were historically considered to be Southern.

I consider both Maryland and Virginia to be Mid-Atlantic today.

However, while I consider Virginia to be Mid-Atlantic, I do not consider her to be Northeast state but rather part of the South. Maryland is more debatable, maybe she is part of the Northeast, maybe she is still part of the South, maybe she is some unusual combination of both. I am not sure, I do not live there, do not have enough information, know some CD people are divided on the subject and so I am staying neutral.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 1,339 times
Because the Mid-Atlantic and New England make up the ****ing Northeast maybe?

What the **** is so different between the two? Are you flat earthers too?

I'm from the Northeast. These trivial differences are ****ing hilarious. You make New England out like it's comparing Texas to New Jersey for **** sake.

This website makes me feel like im in the twilight zone with these threads.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:29 PM

1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Actually the exact same could be said for Pennsylvania and New Jersey. All three were part of Dutch colony of New Netherland that was conquered by the British to become the Middle colonies and eventually the Middle States.

Delaware also, except at one point she became associated for the South for reasons that I am not sure about. Maybe because she held on to slavery until the Civil War. In contrast, Maryland and especially Virginia were historically considered to be Southern.

However, while I consider Virginia to be Mid-Atlantic, I do not consider her to be Northeast state but rather part of the South. Maryland is more debatable, maybe she is part of the Northeast, maybe she is still part of the South, maybe she is some unusual combination of both. I am not sure, I do not live there, do not have enough information, know some CD people are divided on the subject and so I am staying neutral.

Yup but I was just focusing on NY

Old 10-22-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOPII View Post
Because the Mid-Atlantic and New England make up the ****ing Northeast maybe?

What the **** is so different between the two? Are you flat earthers too?

I'm from the Northeast. These trivial differences are ****ing hilarious. You make New England out like it's comparing Texas to New Jersey for **** sake.

This website makes me feel like im in the twilight zone with these threads.
What is the big deal what other people do?

Some people like discussing real estate, geography, history, architecture, urban planning, politics, even the weather. Go and play Candy Crush if it interests you more.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Yup but I was just focusing on NY
Well then General, New York thanks you.

https://www.iloveny.com/

Actually it looks like they improved the website at some point.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:01 PM

3,295 posts, read 1,647,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

I agree. Although technically still classified as Southern, I still consider DC, Maryland, and Virginia (the DMV) solidly Mid-Atlantic, although I do not consider Northeastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or