U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 09:55 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree. Although technically still classified as Southern, I still consider DC, Maryland, and Virginia (the DMV) solidly Mid-Atlantic, although I do not consider Northeastern.
Just to be clear, you're not including the Baltimore area when you say DMV, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,460,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Just to be clear, you're not including the Baltimore area when you say DMV, right?

Who cares but you on C-D? They're both mid-Atlantic.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
They're both southern as hell too.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:57 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Actually I've found the whole "Baltimore isn't the DMV" sentiment to be a thing in real life, believe it or not.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually I've found the whole "Baltimore isn't the DMV" sentiment to be a thing in real life, believe it or not.
It is a thing in real life. People from Baltimore will immediately tell you that the Baltimore area isn't the DMV. It's gets even more ridiculous when you hear people from DC say that they're not part of the DMV, and they don't consider NOVA part of it either.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:45 PM

2,987 posts, read 2,143,029 times
On a map of the Lower 48 States, it looks like Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and North Carolina are pretty much smack-dab in the middle of the East Coast. Maybe they should be called simply, the "East", or The "East Central States". Any states North of those states should be called the Northeast, and those states South, should be called the Southeast.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:28 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,460,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I never said people don't say that. I said who cares because this thread has nothing to do with that. DC and Baltimore's surrounding areas are the epicenter of the mid-Atlantic which is a sub-region of the U.S. that is often lumped in with the Northeast due to its extreme close proximity/connection to the NE and similarities that you also find in NJ, PA, NY "in real life" everyone knows this. The mid-Atlantic is more like the Northeast than the Southern US overall (even if it's argued to have southern traits), which is why it gets lumped in together.

Baltimore and DMV not being associated by name with one another is no different than North and South Jersey calling one another separate, they're both still Jersey and they're both mid-Atlantic. It's not relevant to this discussion.

This entire thread is a rhetorical question to begin with, and has gone on long enough.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:10 AM

750 posts, read 256,336 times
I don't consider Baltimore to be in the DMV for that matter. To me DMV is short-hand for the Washington metropolitan area..of which Baltimore isn't a part. Baltimore has its own TV stations and its own sports teams. Both areas are geographically close, but also quite different.

Both are indeed in the artifice of a region that is the Mid-Atlantic, a region whose existence might merely be an administrative hoodwink designed to paint over the North-South divide that historically has caused a lot of problems in the country or perhaps caused by the need to have similarly sized regional bodies for the purpose of statistics and administration.

It seems like a region that makes sense if you're in a town in Western MD and look north into PA and south into WV. It might even seem sensible if you compare Baltimore to Wilmington to Philadelphia. It becomes an apparent absurdity if you stand in Ogdensburg, NY looking at the St. Lawrence and Canada beyond, only a short drive from the suburbs of Ottawa, and ask yourself to believe that you're in the same region of the country as the subtropical beaches of Sandbridge in SE Virginia. There is nothing that unites those parts of the country other than that they're American.

In reality, for any definition of "region" to work in a sense of human or physical geography, you'd have to split the Eastern part of the U.S into a lot more regions that don't pay attention to state lines. But as things stand, regions mostly just exist to create state groupings for various utilitarian purposes..and therefore they don't have to make sense in any larger culturally or scholarly meaningful way.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:15 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
I never said people don't say that. I said who cares because this thread has nothing to do with that. DC and Baltimore's surrounding areas are the epicenter of the mid-Atlantic which is a sub-region of the U.S. that is often lumped in with the Northeast due to its extreme close proximity/connection to the NE and similarities that you also find in NJ, PA, NY "in real life" everyone knows this. The mid-Atlantic is more like the Northeast than the Southern US overall (even if it's argued to have southern traits), which is why it gets lumped in together.

Baltimore and DMV not being associated by name with one another is no different than North and South Jersey calling one another separate, they're both still Jersey and they're both mid-Atlantic. It's not relevant to this discussion.

This entire thread is a rhetorical question to begin with, and has gone on long enough.
I was simply commenting on the Baltimore/DMV thing. I'm aware of the thread topic.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:06 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
They're both southern as hell too.
Incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or