U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-04-2018, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Reputation: 5374

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Virginia to me is the quintessential east coast state being that it's right smack in the middle of the Eastern Seaboard (I think southern VA is the exact mid point between Northern Maine and South Florida). It has northeastern qualities of heavy emphasis on colonialism, Rowhouses, Urbanization and industrialism while it obviously has southeastern qualities of being a slave state, Bible-Belt, has a Piedmont region, coastal and mountain region like much of the South-Atlantic and the Shedoah Valley has the largest Christian university in the US (Liberty University)
The Piedmont goes all the way through New Jersey, and the Appalachian mountains + an ocean coast are also a factor in multiple northeastern states. Maryland, New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine. If you include the foothills as well then New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island join the list (and by a tiny Piedmont area, Delaware as well).

Vermont, Ohio and Pennsylvania are the only northern states that contain an Appalachian range but have no ocean coast.

I only point this out because those things are not really a defining southern feature despite always being touted as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:05 PM
 
8 posts, read 10,344 times
Reputation: 20
I found this thread interesting from the AskAnAmercan subreddit.


Highlights include a good amount saying they don't generally think of New England, and if they do, it's just a part of the rest of the East.


https://old.reddit.com/r/AskAnAmeric...pes_about_new/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterthemo View Post
I found this thread interesting from the AskAnAmercan subreddit.


Highlights include a good amount saying they don't generally think of New England, and if they do, it's just a part of the rest of the East.


https://old.reddit.com/r/AskAnAmeric...pes_about_new/
I noticed that a lot of people don't even realize that New England is mostly mountainous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 09:15 PM
 
Location: South Austin, 78745
2,984 posts, read 2,137,389 times
Reputation: 5092
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
Hi!

I was just wondering. The Mid-Atlantic states are considered a "subregion of the Northeast- as in "Northeast and Mid-Atlantic" But they are not considered a sub region of the Southeast states.


But I find this is a problem- especially for Virginia which is the Southern end of the Mid Atlantic. And our culture is undeniably Southern.

I live in Central Virginia and we have more in common with people in GA and TN than we do people from Boston or NYC, or even Baltimore!

People from the Northeast have accents and drink unsweet tea.

Shouldn't there be a new sub region of the U.S or "Upper South"- for those that live South of D.C. but not in the Deep South?

Even far as to say- the Mid Atlantic states are not really like the Northeast. I have been to the Northeast and its like a different world to me. Also, if Virginia is considered Mid-Atlantic, then why is Kentucky not considered "Midwest'- when it is directly across from Virginia?

What do y'all think?
Since you ask, I think it's because the South don't want 'em and the Mid-Atlantic states don't want to be associated with the South. To many folks up North, there is a negative conotation with most things Southern. With that said, there are many folks in the South who simply don't care one bit for anything about the North, be it positive or negative. So the feeling is mutual.

I don't know why the Mid-Atlantic States aren't called the Mideast, or Eastcentral States. Realistically, that's exactly what they are. Take a look at a map of the Lower 48 States. It's obvious they are located in the most central part of the East Coast States, that stretch from Maine to Florida. This country has the Northeast region and the Southeast region. It does look there would be an Eastcentral region or Mideast region for the sake accuracy and consistency, if for no other reasons. The title, "Mid-Atlantic" states might cause somebody to think those states must be an island that is located in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean about halfway between Europe and North America.

The last few decades, all of Virginia is thought of as Northern because Northern Virginia is so fully heavily populated with Northerners that they - "they" being the Yankees - pretty much determine the political direction the state of Virginia takes into the future. That's why so many Deep South Southerners believe that Virginia has become so Northern - or Yankeeized, if you will - that the state has become stripped of it's Southern credentials.

Kentucky never fully committed to the Confederacy during the Civil War. For that reason, many Deep South Southerners don't consider Kentucky to be a true Southern state. Many folks in the Midwest do not want Kentucky to be considered part of the Midwest because many feel that would reflect badly on their Midwestern state, mostly because of the negative conotations and stereotypes associated with the South by many Northerners. I suppose an argument could be made that Kentucky just might be the only state in the Lower 48 without a region.

Many folks do consider Kentucky to be Midwestern State. Look in the Kentucky Forum on City Data. Whether Kentucky is in the South or Midwest is one of the all-time most hottest debated topics in all of the City Data State Forums.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 11-04-2018 at 09:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Since you ask, I think it's because the South don't want 'em and the Mid-Atlantic states don't want to be associated with the South. To many folks up North, there is a negative conotation with most things Southern and many folks in the South simply don't care one bit for anything about the North, be it positive or negative.
Luckily this absolutely bigoted, ignorant, intolerable stupidity is mostly going to die when the baby boomers do.

I personally find the whole regional narcissism on both sides to be revolting and if I can say at least one positive thing about the younger Gen-X and the Millenials, it's that most of us don't care about south versus north.

The loud ones are extreme about everything but they are a statistical minority, thank goodness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 09:56 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Reputation: 6423
Default History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Since you ask, I think it's because the South don't want 'em and the Mid-Atlantic states don't want to be associated with the South. To many folks up North, there is a negative conotation with most things Southern and many folks in the South simply don't care one bit for anything about the North, be it positive or negative.

I don't know why the Mid-Atlantic States aren't called the Mideast, or Eastcentral States. Realistically, that's exactly what they are. Take a look at a map of the Lower 48 States. It's obvious they are located in the most central part of the East Coast States, that stretch from Maine to Florida. This country has the Northeast region and the Southeast region. It does look there would be an Eastcentral region or Mideast region for consistency sake, if for no other reason.

The last few decades, all of Virginia is thought of as Northern because Northern Virginia is so fully heavily populated with Northerners that they - "they" being the Yankees - pretty much determine the political direction the state of Virginia takes into the future. That's why so many Deep South Southerners believe that Virginia has become so Northern - or Yankeeized, if you will - that the state has become stripped of it's Southern credentials.

Kentucky never fully committed to the Confederacy during the Civil War. For that reason, many Deep South Southerners don't consider Kentucky to be a true Southern state. Many folks in the Midwest do not want Kentucky to be considered part of the Midwest because that would reflect on their Midwest State. mostly because of the negative conotation associated with the South by many Northerners. I suppose an argument could be made that Kentucky just might be the only state in the Lower 48 without a region.

Many folks do consider Kentucky to be Midwestern State. Look in the Kentucky Forum on City Data. Whether Kentucky is in the South or Midwest is one of the all-time most hottest debated topics in all of the City Data State Forums.
It seems strange because it is not for geographical reasons, its for historical reasons.

In other words, Mid-Atlantic has nothing to do with the location being midway to Florida, for one thing the USA did not annex Florida until almost 1820 or so. Nor does have anything to do with bordering Canada or the Ohio River etc.

The reason is the former New Netherland (New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware) became the Middle Colonies. They were called the Middle Colonies, not because of how far north or south they are but because they were between the already existing English colonies, New England in the North and Virginia & Maryland in the South. And the Middle Colonies became the Middle States, then the Middle Atlantic States and finally the Mid-Atlantic States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,207 posts, read 2,823,898 times
Reputation: 4493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Virginia to me is the quintessential east coast state being that it's right smack in the middle of the Eastern Seaboard (I think southern VA is the exact mid point between Northern Maine and South Florida). It has northeastern qualities of heavy emphasis on colonialism, Rowhouses, Urbanization and industrialism while it obviously has southeastern qualities of being a slave state, Bible-Belt, has a Piedmont region, coastal and mountain region like much of the South-Atlantic and the Shedoah Valley has the largest Christian university in the US (Liberty University)
The midpoint of the East Coast is somewhere in that 10-mile radius between Emporia, Virginia and the VA/NC state line. So among other things, yes, Virginia is not only in the middle of the East Coast, but the overwhelming majority of Virginia is on the northern half of the East Coast, if it were cleanly broken into two halves...

@ivory lee, it is a misconception that only Nova has culturally transformed Virginia. I'm not specifically saying you, but many people ignorant of Virginia just simply don't recognize that Nova is just the largest, loudest area that is a larger scale version of political and societal trends in RVA and HRVA...

Virginia and Maryland can't really be regionally separated, though many CDers attempt to. Three quarters of Virginians live in The Crescent (Nova x Central Virginia x Tidewater), which shares hundreds of years of history and cultural exchange/similarities with Maryland. I would obviously say Maryland has the more northern feel, and Virginia the more southern, but these two states have more in common and anyone being honest or familiar with both Maryland and urban VA can admit that...

So I don't consider VA northern at all, nor Maryland fully northern, but I also consider neither fully southern. Urban VA is considered southern to only places north of DC and starkly stand out when being compared to other regions of the South. They just both fit into the modern application of "mid-Atlantic"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 07:05 AM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,986 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Reputation: 2436
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The midpoint of the East Coast is somewhere in that 10-mile radius between Emporia, Virginia and the VA/NC state line. So among other things, yes, Virginia is not only in the middle of the East Coast, but the overwhelming majority of Virginia is on the northern half of the East Coast, if it were cleanly broken into two halves...

@ivory lee, it is a misconception that only Nova has culturally transformed Virginia. I'm not specifically saying you, but many people ignorant of Virginia just simply don't recognize that Nova is just the largest, loudest area that is a larger scale version of political and societal trends in RVA and HRVA...

Virginia and Maryland can't really be regionally separated, though many CDers attempt to. Three quarters of Virginians live in The Crescent (Nova x Central Virginia x Tidewater), which shares hundreds of years of history and cultural exchange/similarities with Maryland. I would obviously say Maryland has the more northern feel, and Virginia the more southern, but these two states have more in common and anyone being honest or familiar with both Maryland and urban VA can admit that...

So I don't consider VA northern at all, nor Maryland fully northern, but I also consider neither fully southern. Urban VA is considered southern to only places north of DC and starkly stand out when being compared to other regions of the South. They just both fit into the modern application of "mid-Atlantic"...
100.00% fact. Maryland and Virginia are essentially NY/NJ, meaning they go hand and hand together, the only difference is they exist on more of a dividing line. I have always considered Maryland more undeniably mid-Atlantic/ northern lite and Virginia the beginning of the South, but Virginia is the coastal mid-Atlantic and overall aligns to states North of it rather than South of it. Lucky for Virginia it is still business friendly and taxes are low for the most part to keep healthy growth, but so much is shared between the two states MD and VA. I will always recognize them being separate and having their own autonomy, but the larger the two states get, I really see them as two closely related states that if they were all one, would be 15/16 million if you included DC. That's in about the same land area as an Arkansas or NC. I've been to other parts of the country and within one state you won't find as much synergy or population that you will find between MD and the VA crescent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 01:17 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
100.00% fact. Maryland and Virginia are essentially NY/NJ, meaning they go hand and hand together, the only difference is they exist on more of a dividing line. I have always considered Maryland more undeniably mid-Atlantic/ northern lite and Virginia the beginning of the South, but Virginia is the coastal mid-Atlantic and overall aligns to states North of it rather than South of it. Lucky for Virginia it is still business friendly and taxes are low for the most part to keep healthy growth, but so much is shared between the two states MD and VA. I will always recognize them being separate and having their own autonomy, but the larger the two states get, I really see them as two closely related states that if they were all one, would be 15/16 million if you included DC. That's in about the same land area as an Arkansas or NC. I've been to other parts of the country and within one state you won't find as much synergy or population that you will find between MD and the VA crescent.
The overall cooperation between the Northeast states is pretty significant, probably the most of the 4 main regions. The New England States cooperate with each other on a number of issues but the Mid-Atlantic States probably cooperate even more.

The reason for the cooperation in the Northeast is the large population divided by relatively small states, some of which have unusual boundaries. Also, there is still a large commuter rail network in which the states often run together. The Mid-Atlantic States in particular, have 3 major cities located on rivers that border other states; New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC. So cooperation is necessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_compact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,207 posts, read 2,823,898 times
Reputation: 4493
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The overall cooperation between the Northeast states is pretty significant, probably the most of the 4 main regions. The New England States cooperate with each other on a number of issues but the Mid-Atlantic States probably cooperate even more.

The reason for the cooperation in the Northeast is the large population divided by relatively small states, some of which have unusual boundaries. Also, there is still a large commuter rail network in which the states often run together. The Mid-Atlantic States in particular, have 3 major cities located on rivers that border other states; New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC. So cooperation is necessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_compact
Literally next to no one considers New York the Mid-Atlantic anymore lol. New Yorkers don't even identify as such. You're about a century late...

Otherwise, point taken, I just wanted to remind you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top