U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 11:35 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,812,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There are a couple of things I think need to be pointed out. First with this whole confederacy talk, I quite literally was in upstate NY this summer and riding between Binghamton and Rochester counted at least 3 confederate flags on the doorsteps of homes in New York State. So squash the whole confederate talk because to me that's all a moot point regarding north/south. I think rednecks exist everywhere. Second, slavery and plantations etc can't be denied, but that was two centuries ago and doesn't tie into the modern day influences of mid Atlantic states like Maryland.(not to say natives don't know it didn't happen) When you look at the modern political landscape and religious demographics Maryland although not completely "Northeastern" doesn't skew towards being southern at all, Virginia is a different story.

For me personally I know mid-Atlantic is more of a fairly new loose term used as a sub-region, but living here in the DMV area I've honestly never saw anything outside of DC/MD/VA and DE as truly mid Atlantic. Pennsylvania doesn't even touch the Atlantic, and outside of the Philadelphia metro area the state doesn't have many features that come close to "mid Atlantic." NY is completely NE and the same applies there outside of NYC metro and Long Island I don't see it as "Middle Atlantic." About 1/3 maybe 1/2 of NJ I would say can be thrown in there and placed in the mid Atlantic arguably, but the whole state I'm not sure. The further you go north in NJ it just becomes plain old NE IMO.
Very great post! Rep points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 11:44 AM

7,742 posts, read 6,141,582 times
In the real world, outside of City Data, everybody, no matter where they're from are the same. The only thing different are the accents.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,386,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
People from the Northeast have accents and drink unsweet tea.
Everybody ahs an accent, including you.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,157,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I understand what you're saying, and you're technically right, but I think the poster's point (and others) is that hardly anyone from the northeast-mid Atlantic (PA, NJ, NY) commonly use "Mid-Atlantic" to describe where they are from. In my experience, almost everyone I know from that region just says that they're from the Northeast. Similarly, the only people I know who ever use Mid-Atlantic to describe where they're from are from MD/DC/VA (I'm don't know too many people from DE, so I'm not sure about them).

maybe true, but being from Philadelphia I never questioned whether it was part of the Northeast or MidAtlantic

Old 11-11-2015, 04:12 PM

150 posts, read 151,451 times
Quote:
There are a couple of things I think need to be pointed out. First with this whole confederacy talk, I quite literally was in upstate NY this summer and riding between Binghamton and Rochester counted at least 3 confederate flags on the doorsteps of homes in New York State. So squash the whole confederate talk because to me that's all a moot point regarding north/south. I think rednecks exist everywhere. Second, slavery and plantations etc can't be denied, but that was two centuries ago and doesn't tie into the modern day influences of mid Atlantic states like Maryland.(not to say natives don't know it didn't happen) When you look at the modern political landscape and religious demographics Maryland although not completely "Northeastern" doesn't skew towards being southern at all, Virginia is a different story.

For me personally I know mid-Atlantic is more of a fairly new loose term used as a sub-region, but living here in the DMV area I've honestly never saw anything outside of DC/MD/VA and DE as truly mid Atlantic. Pennsylvania doesn't even touch the Atlantic, and outside of the Philadelphia metro area the state doesn't have many features that come close to "mid Atlantic." NY is completely NE and the same applies there outside of NYC metro and Long Island I don't see it as "Middle Atlantic." About 1/3 maybe 1/2 of NJ I would say can be thrown in there and placed in the mid Atlantic arguably, but the whole state I'm not sure. The further you go north in NJ it just becomes plain old NE IMO.
Redneck is not the same as being Southern. And maybe the with the battle flags were from the South originally or had Confederate ancestors.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:22 PM

150 posts, read 151,451 times
I see that the lower end Mid-Atlantic (Maryland in particular) has qualms with "The South" because they associate it with negativity.

I know these are generalizations! This is just how I view the North vs South culture, living in Virginia which is right on the line between both:

The "Northern" to me is: Overwhelmingly liberal, aloof, pushy, unusual ethnic pride, aggressive, lack of manners, lack of sweet tea, you guys vs y'all, etc, more blue collar/rust belt. Also there is a thing in the Northeast where the large cities sort of blend into each other.

You don't find that so much South of D.C.

South: More laid back, friendly. Open to discussion of Religion! Country music appreciation. More plethora of attractive women. Pimento cheese. Southern doesn't necessarily mean "country". Country has similarities but you can be "Country"and not Southern! Some rural communities in the North are very shut off and aloof from outsiders.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:26 PM

12,658 posts, read 10,501,376 times
Quote:
I see that the lower end Mid-Atlantic (Maryland in particular) has qualms with "The South" because they associate it with negativity.

I know these are generalizations! This is just how I view the North vs South culture, living in Virginia which is right on the line between both:

The "Northern" to me is: Overwhelmingly liberal, aloof, pushy, unusual ethnic pride, aggressive, lack of manners, lack of sweet tea, you guys vs y'all, etc, more blue collar/rust belt. Also there is a thing in the Northeast where the large cities sort of blend into each other.

South: More laid back, friendly. Open to discussion of Religion! Country music appreciation. More plethora of attractive women. Pimento cheese. Southern doesn't necessarily mean "country". Country has similarities but you can be "Country"and not Southern! Some rural communities in the North are very shut off and aloof from outsiders.
Why don't you think people in the Northeast have manners? This is such an overdone stereotype.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:12 PM

1,223 posts, read 580,757 times
Quote:

(Your description of Northerners & Southerners sounds like something an armchair Westerner would say after watching some YouTube flicks on the N/S).

I think most people in general would have qualms with your description of the regions...Pimento cheese is gross.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:34 PM

1,223 posts, read 580,757 times
Quote:

Yeah, you're right. My posting those links were meant to show the reasons why MD didn't change regions officially. Good post though. Like you mentioned, there's a certain homogeneity that I experience personally from Bmore to DC to Richmond to Hampton Roads that I don't get in NJ, NY, and most of PA.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:19 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,566,342 times
I dont know about some of the description for the south but pimento cheese is huge in the south like shrimp and grits or jambalaya .

My mother was from virginia and used to have those and cucumber sandwiches and deviled eggs with maryland crab every cookout we had but I liked the grilled pimento cheese with soup or brunswick stew more than just the finger sandwich stuff. I dont like when they use too much hot sauce making pimento cheese or its too spicy but alot of southerners spice it up. Pimento is actually a red pepper, we saw a pimento farm once in georgia

the only good pimento cheese is homemade or stuff like palmetto cheese you buy online, that stuff in the grocery store is not worth eating

Maryland style deviled eggs with crab is another good one

I had this at doreens in marco island in florida a while back. pimento cheese and fried green tomato with red onion, the southern burger.

grilled pimento cheese and good soup

Last edited by floridanative10; 11-11-2015 at 07:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or