U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 07:04 AM

3,511 posts, read 2,968,854 times

Advertisements

Agree with the Schuylkill in Philly--that road is a nightmare, both directions.

Surprised not to see the Cross Bronx Expressway on that list. NYC has other terrible freeways like the BQE, but I've NEVER been on the Cross Bronx and it wasn't backed up in some form or fashion. By far the worst of the worst (and it devastated an entire borough, to boot).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Bronx_Expressway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 07:22 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,122,344 times
405 easy,It's said to be the busiest freeway in the world .

Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 AM

18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge. Easily the worst most dangerous stretch of road in the US. Fatalities every week and sometimes several days in a row.
That's the stretch with that bridge, right? Hate driving that stretch in Louisiana.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:42 PM

217 posts, read 211,922 times
pics.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:43 PM

24,963 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post

Surprised not to see the Cross Bronx Expressway on that list. NYC has other terrible freeways like the BQE, but I've NEVER been on the Cross Bronx and it wasn't backed up in some form or fashion. By far the worst of the worst (and it devastated an entire borough, to boot).

The Schuylkill is a mess, even more so when there's a deer on the road. I've parked on the Blue Route, 476, when all lanes were closed due to an accident on one side.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:35 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,341,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post

Yeah the Cross Bronx, which is I-95 in New York City, needs to be at least given an honorable mention. It's so bad we call it the "Highway to Hell." No matter what direction you're going or what time, it's a slog. There are no shoulders so a minor breakdown can really screw things up as it closes a lane automatically. Plus, people have been known to toss things off the many overpasses.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:44 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,563,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I-95 south out the DC Beltway heading down toward Fredericksburg VA is a completely gridlocked nightmare pretty much any weekday after 3pm. Also while hardly a highway (it still has the interstate designation) I-676 in Central Philadelphia which links I-76 to I-95 is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen with three lanes of traffic dead-ending at either end and dumping off all traffic into single lane ramps.
I completely agree, especially with that one I use alot, I-95 into Virginia. DC should have two listings in the top .My mother is from loudoun county and she said I-66 represents everything she hates about the changes in northern Virginia, of course Maryland gridlock is horrible as well.

I lived in Germany with the best engineered cars in the world and the whole system in germany is to discourage automobile drivers, costs 2-3 thousands to get a license, close to a year long class and tough exam, even more to drive high speed and at night on the autobahn. Cars are not a given and a necessity in alot of Europe like they are in the states, you can get on some amazing Deutsche bahn train or some great high speed rail and travel in and between cities and countries .

Best part will be the tolls, northern virginia really is turning into the northeast. The sad truth with northern Virginia is extending the metro hasnt eased congestion at all, there are just too many damn people in northern Virginia and a car dependent culture.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:50 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times
Some of Oklahoma's would be up there. I-40 and I-44 come to mind. Pothole and rudderboard city!

Old 11-06-2015, 04:09 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,968,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Thrillist compiled a list of the top 12 worst freeways in the country

1 - I-66 in DC/Northern VA
2 - 1-10 in New Orleans
3 - The 610 Loop in Houston
4 - The 405 in LA
5 - I-70 in Denver
6 - I-635/LBJ Freeway in Dallas
7 - I-35 in Austin
8 - I-80 in San Francisco
9 - I-880 in San Jose
10 - I-376 Parkway West in Pittsburgh
11 - I-76/Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia
12 - I-95 in Providence, RI

Their reasoning primarily being all of them are traffic nightmares, and some are considered windy or dangerous, bad road surface or a number of other reasons. I've definitely heard that freeways like I-35 in Austin are a traffic nightmare, and the 405 in LA kinda goes without saying in that respect. I thought that Dallas just recently upgraded the LBJ Freeway, not sure how much of an impact that's having there. I've sat in traffic on the Schuylkill in Philly. I remember shouting some profanities, I'd loose my mind if I had to commute on that incredibly inadequate freeway

I think they left off some, like I-95 in Fairfield County, CT must exist somewhere in hell and is much worse than I-95 in Providence. Is this list on point or no? Are road improvements or upgrades possible?

https://www.thrillist.com/cars/natio...rleans-houston
I found I-25 to be worst than I-70 in Denver. None in Chicago...ridiculous. What about the Kennedy (I-90 from O'Hare/the I-294 exchange to the I-290 exchange) and the Eisenhower (I-290)...

Old 11-06-2015, 04:19 PM

2,533 posts, read 1,822,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Some of Oklahoma's would be up there. I-40 and I-44 come to mind. Pothole and rudderboard city!
I'm from Oklahoma. I can always tell when I get back home to Northeast Oklahoma by:
the number of wal-mart sacks on the barbed wire fences
the smell of chicken houses
THE HORRIBLE ROADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to balance it out:
the bluest skies I've ever seen
gentle rolling hills covered with Oaks and Hickory
Lakes and streams everywhere you look
Mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or