U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2015, 06:45 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,433 posts, read 18,334,943 times
Reputation: 11915

Advertisements

Thrillist compiled a list of the top 12 worst freeways in the country

1 - I-66 in DC/Northern VA
2 - 1-10 in New Orleans
3 - The 610 Loop in Houston
4 - The 405 in LA
5 - I-70 in Denver
6 - I-635/LBJ Freeway in Dallas
7 - I-35 in Austin
8 - I-80 in San Francisco
9 - I-880 in San Jose
10 - I-376 Parkway West in Pittsburgh
11 - I-76/Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia
12 - I-95 in Providence, RI

Their reasoning primarily being all of them are traffic nightmares, and some are considered windy or dangerous, bad road surface or a number of other reasons. I've definitely heard that freeways like I-35 in Austin are a traffic nightmare, and the 405 in LA kinda goes without saying in that respect. I thought that Dallas just recently upgraded the LBJ Freeway, not sure how much of an impact that's having there. I've sat in traffic on the Schuylkill in Philly. I remember shouting some profanities, I'd loose my mind if I had to commute on that incredibly inadequate freeway

I think they left off some, like I-95 in Fairfield County, CT must exist somewhere in hell and is much worse than I-95 in Providence. Is this list on point or no? Are road improvements or upgrades possible?


https://www.thrillist.com/cars/natio...rleans-houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
425 posts, read 756,217 times
Reputation: 491
635 in Dallas has been transformed


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrMtn1GFB9g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Reputation: 8803
LMAO at New Orleans. Traffic there is a breeze compared to Baton Rouge. I-10 through the city is fine for the most part.

I-610 in Houston is congested as heck on the West Loop but it's built very well and really wide. The north loop is brand new I think, and the south loop is generally fine build wise and normal congestion. I-10 west is horrible during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2015, 09:45 PM
 
Location: USA
2,753 posts, read 2,220,435 times
Reputation: 2135
Interstate 95 in Southwest Connecticut is a complete nightmare. It's a parking lot during rush hour. If it's a Friday afternoon at 5pm just forget about it and walk. All the way from Stamford to New Haven. Once you get passed the Q Bridge in New Haven it's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2015, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,036 posts, read 4,557,076 times
Reputation: 1422
I10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge. Easily the worst most dangerous stretch of road in the US. Fatalities every week and sometimes several days in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 05:09 AM
 
Location: Northeast Suburbs of PITTSBURGH
3,720 posts, read 3,574,946 times
Reputation: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Thrillist compiled a list of the top 12 worst freeways in the country

1 - I-66 in DC/Northern VA
2 - 1-10 in New Orleans
3 - The 610 Loop in Houston
4 - The 405 in LA
5 - I-70 in Denver
6 - I-635/LBJ Freeway in Dallas
7 - I-35 in Austin
8 - I-80 in San Francisco
9 - I-880 in San Jose
10 - I-376 Parkway West in Pittsburgh
11 - I-76/Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia
12 - I-95 in Providence, RI

Their reasoning primarily being all of them are traffic nightmares, and some are considered windy or dangerous, bad road surface or a number of other reasons. I've definitely heard that freeways like I-35 in Austin are a traffic nightmare, and the 405 in LA kinda goes without saying in that respect. I thought that Dallas just recently upgraded the LBJ Freeway, not sure how much of an impact that's having there. I've sat in traffic on the Schuylkill in Philly. I remember shouting some profanities, I'd loose my mind if I had to commute on that incredibly inadequate freeway

I think they left off some, like I-95 in Fairfield County, CT must exist somewhere in hell and is much worse than I-95 in Providence. Is this list on point or no? Are road improvements or upgrades possible?


https://www.thrillist.com/cars/natio...rleans-houston
I personally use number 10 (Pittsburgh's parkway west) on a daily basis. It was designed in the 1950s and hasn't been upgraded since....

I also use number 11 (Sure kill expressway) at least twice a month. Another severely outdated and dangerous highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 05:12 AM
 
21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Reputation: 19627
I-95 south out the DC Beltway heading down toward Fredericksburg VA is a completely gridlocked nightmare pretty much any weekday after 3pm. Also while hardly a highway (it still has the interstate designation) I-676 in Central Philadelphia which links I-76 to I-95 is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen with three lanes of traffic dead-ending at either end and dumping off all traffic into single lane ramps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
2,535 posts, read 1,828,926 times
Reputation: 6640
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I-95 south out the DC Beltway heading down toward Fredericksburg VA is a completely gridlocked nightmare pretty much any weekday after 3pm. Also while hardly a highway (it still has the interstate designation) I-676 in Central Philadelphia which links I-76 to I-95 is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen with three lanes of traffic dead-ending at either end and dumping off all traffic into single lane ramps.
yup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 05:25 AM
 
1,705 posts, read 1,366,887 times
Reputation: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I-95 south out the DC Beltway heading down toward Fredericksburg VA is a completely gridlocked nightmare pretty much any weekday after 3pm. Also while hardly a highway (it still has the interstate designation) I-676 in Central Philadelphia which links I-76 to I-95 is one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen with three lanes of traffic dead-ending at either end and dumping off all traffic into single lane ramps.
95 in NoVa and 66 is gridlock hell on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
3,792 posts, read 6,526,063 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
LMAO at New Orleans. Traffic there is a breeze compared to Baton Rouge. I-10 through the city is fine for the most part.

I-610 in Houston is congested as heck on the West Loop but it's built very well and really wide. The north loop is brand new I think, and the south loop is generally fine build wise and normal congestion. I-10 west is horrible during rush hour.
I agree Nola's freeway traffic is pretty much a breeze. I believe the commuters in that city drive through the city more so than the freeway. Now Baton Rouge traffic is crazzzzy for a city that size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top