U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the most transient?
CA 14 30.43%
FL 25 54.35%
GA 3 6.52%
Utah 0 0%
TX 2 4.35%
NC 2 4.35%
PA 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 06:14 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times

Advertisements

Arizona should also be on the list. We lived there for a short time about six years ago and all we heard from anyone there was how transient the population is, at least in the Phoenix Metro. People visit in February, move there, then regret it after enduring the summer heat and brown desert landscape for a year or two and move, only to be replaced by others doing the same, etc., etc. Probably some of the same reasons why Nevada is so transient, or at least the Las Vegas Metro, but then, what other area do people move to in Nevada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:05 AM

616 posts, read 504,837 times
from my experience I would say DC metro

Old 11-08-2015, 10:14 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,510,531 times
Florida, but Arizona and Nevada are up there too

Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,252,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Both! I think Florida takes this one!
Agreed. I think of transient as "in and out", people "coming and going." FL takes the cake for sure.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,828,629 times
I'd say Florida is overall extremely transient. Some other cities in the South that people think are transient aren't anything compared to Florida. Phoenix was very much so, too, but N. Arizona, cities like Flagg and others not so much. Depended. I would imagine Nevada, but have no direct experience there.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:29 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,510,531 times
Yeah, the more I think about it Florida dominates this category. Even other states with lots of transplants like Nevada and Arizona actually only have one or two cities in the whole state that are hyper transient. The entire peninsula of Florida transient.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:27 PM

6,955 posts, read 14,084,889 times
I was under the impression that a lot of people that move to Florida retire there or move from the north with their families to escape winters and all that deal. That's more transplant-y.

California is definitely transient. I'd say more so than Florida, although I don't have personal experience with FL in that category. But in CA, we have LA, SD, and SF. LA attracts people who think they can make it in "the industry" and then fail within 2 years and move back home with mommy and daddy in Ohio. Or they think they can "make it" in general in LA and realize that it's too expensive or it just wouldn't the holy land as they had expected. SD has an extremely large military presence. People in the military are constantly being transferred around the country and the world. Many of the veterans stay in SD, but not all stay there forever. SF is attracting people from all over the country and the world for tech, but we already see that a lot of tech is moving elsewhere or people just can't afford SF anymore so they're moving other places.

LA is such a revolving door, this sounds really bad, but I know a lot of natives like myself who don't put much effort into making friends with many transplants. If they've been in LA less than 2 years, it's still a kinda trial period. If they've lasted 2 years, we hang out with them and will be friends with them. But if you meet someone from the Midwest or the South that just moved to LA a few weeks or months ago, we're nice to them. Welcome them to LA. Treat them as nicely as possible. But we're hesitant to become too close or too involved. I say this from personal experience being a native of LA, that it's just really draining to make good friends and then they move back home not too long after and you have to start finding a new group of friends. It's not a conscious thing we think about, but it just kinda happens that way. Native Angelenos are often friends with mostly other native Angelenos, unless they've been there for a while and we can tell they're gonna make it in LA. If not, it might be heartless to say, but it's almost a waste of time when there's a good chance they'll move back home when they don't make it. We're never mean, we invite them to stuff and become friends and stuff, but it's almost like a probation period that a lot of transplants go through. If you hang out with friend groups in places with a lot of transplants like Santa Monica or WeHo or Mid-Wilshire, you'll notice a lot of friend groups are made of entirely transplants or entire natives. Nothing wrong with that, but I think as in many other cities, there's a bond you have there that natives don't relate to.

But yes, in short, I think a state like FL attracts a lot of retirees, snowbirds, or permanent residents who can't deal with snow anymore and move with their families. Correct me if I'm wrong. CA seems to attract more the young single people trying to "make it" in a new place without realizing actually how hard it is to "make it" in a city like LA or SF.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:07 PM

3,740 posts, read 2,556,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I was under the impression that a lot of people that move to Florida retire there or move from the north with their families to escape winters and all that deal. That's more transplant-y.

California is definitely transient. I'd say more so than Florida, although I don't have personal experience with FL in that category. But in CA, we have LA, SD, and SF. LA attracts people who think they can make it in "the industry" and then fail within 2 years and move back home with mommy and daddy in Ohio. Or they think they can "make it" in general in LA and realize that it's too expensive or it just wouldn't the holy land as they had expected. SD has an extremely large military presence. People in the military are constantly being transferred around the country and the world. Many of the veterans stay in SD, but not all stay there forever. SF is attracting people from all over the country and the world for tech, but we already see that a lot of tech is moving elsewhere or people just can't afford SF anymore so they're moving other places.

LA is such a revolving door, this sounds really bad, but I know a lot of natives like myself who don't put much effort into making friends with many transplants. If they've been in LA less than 2 years, it's still a kinda trial period. If they've lasted 2 years, we hang out with them and will be friends with them. But if you meet someone from the Midwest or the South that just moved to LA a few weeks or months ago, we're nice to them. Welcome them to LA. Treat them as nicely as possible. But we're hesitant to become too close or too involved. I say this from personal experience being a native of LA, that it's just really draining to make good friends and then they move back home not too long after and you have to start finding a new group of friends. It's not a conscious thing we think about, but it just kinda happens that way. Native Angelenos are often friends with mostly other native Angelenos, unless they've been there for a while and we can tell they're gonna make it in LA. If not, it might be heartless to say, but it's almost a waste of time when there's a good chance they'll move back home when they don't make it. We're never mean, we invite them to stuff and become friends and stuff, but it's almost like a probation period that a lot of transplants go through. If you hang out with friend groups in places with a lot of transplants like Santa Monica or WeHo or Mid-Wilshire, you'll notice a lot of friend groups are made of entirely transplants or entire natives. Nothing wrong with that, but I think as in many other cities, there's a bond you have there that natives don't relate to.

But yes, in short, I think a state like FL attracts a lot of retirees, snowbirds, or permanent residents who can't deal with snow anymore and move with their families. Correct me if I'm wrong. CA seems to attract more the young single people trying to "make it" in a new place without realizing actually how hard it is to "make it" in a city like LA or SF.
There are also loads of people who move to Florida from the northeast/midwest to escape cold and then realize that the state is actually batpoop crazy and has high crime, no seasons, crap public schools and is more of a vacation spot than a living spot and move home....or, as it turns out "half-way" home to NC and Georgia.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:18 PM

4,811 posts, read 5,358,221 times
I read the average length of time a transplant lasts in Florida is 4 years.
I've been here 20 years and that sounds right.

Ditto on what Jesse said about making friends with new people in LA.
People don't last long in Florida because they have very distorted expectations of real life here.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:37 PM

18 posts, read 16,608 times
Here is a link that may be useful: Percent of the Native Population Born in their State of Residence statistics - states compared - Statemaster

This link shows the percentage of native population born in their state of residence.

States with the lowest are: Nevada 28.1%, Arizona 41%, Florida 41.2%, Alaska 42.3%, and Wyoming 43.5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.